Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sockxmonkeyxwee Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 03:26 PM
    Can I set up aerial silks outside?
    Sooooo at my dance studio I am taking aerial silk classes, and there is only one class a week.
    But I love it so much, once a week is NOT enough lol
    I have thought about ordering silk online, but my ceilings aren't high enough to hang the silk from
    So I was thinking maybe I could hang them from a tree outside
    Would that be OK?
    Could I leave them there or would I have to take them down after I use them?
    I live in Kansas city and it rains maybe once a week
    What kind of fabrics would be favorable for outdoor use?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 21, 2009, 03:31 PM

Oh,good for you ! No silks are the bestbecause they are more pliable and body oriented. No can't use a tree, it will tear the silks. There is nothing to use that is comparable, sorry. Unless you want to strangle yourself.

Tick
    sockxmonkeyxwee Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 06:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Oh,good for you ! No silks are the bestbecause they are more pliable and body oriented. No can't use a tree, it will tear the silks. There is nothing to use that is comparable, sorry. Unless you want to strangle yourself.

tick
    Thanks, but are you sure? My teacher said something about having silks hanging from a tree in her yard and before she was a teacher, she would have friends over and she would teach them every once in a while.

And I guess I should restate the second part.
    Since there are different fabric combinations to make up silks because they're not just 100% silk, which fabric make-up would be best?
    firemecca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2010, 10:53 PM
    You actually can hang a silk from a tree, you just need the right gear. If you use a sling to go over a sturdy branch, you can connect the following in sequence: carabiner - swivel - carabiner - rescue 8 - silk. Fire Mecca has pretty much everything, in that regard, and some instructions on tying your silk up. http://www.firemecca.com/c-92-aerial.aspx
    firemecca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2010, 10:53 PM

If you want a click-able link:Aerial Acrobatics
    karlaspeziale Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2010, 11:10 AM
    Is there any way to hang the silk on a wall... like, is there any sspport that goes on the wall and then you hang the silk on the support..?
    sacramento11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2010, 10:13 AM
    You can hang it n the wall but if you are really heavy say 300 ounds the all might break. About the outside you can hang it up but when it rains you have to take it down.
    luke44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2012, 01:23 AM
    Good response firemecca. Have set one up in my paddock from a massive pine in the same way you described with the same gear. Only thing I would add, is make sure it's a strong branch with minimal flex... safe silking...
    mbc1227 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2012, 04:55 PM
    My teacher had silks rigged from a tree in his back yard. Though he is an experienced theatrical rigger. With the right rigging equipment it is totally safe to rig silks from a tree.
    qet531 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2012, 12:26 PM
    Also interested in doing this, and this post was helpful. I will consult someone locally, but so I don't look like an idiot - if I were to use a sling with the tree, does it simply get draped over the branch, and the first carabiner attaches to both ends?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Aerial works downstairs but not upstairs [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Not sure if I have posted this on the right section but basically I could do with some help on the following: I have just moved into a rented house and we could only pick up a few scaty channels on freeeview, after some investigaing we found out that we needed a power supply for the amp...

Is an aerial integral to sound on a tv/dvd? [ 2 Answers ]

I have my TV and I want to watch a dvd. Its all plugged in and the scart plug is in etc. The picture is up there, playing normally. THERE IS NO SOUND and no, the mute button is not on! The other point to note is that there seems to be no TV signal. I have checked the aerial plug and it seems...

Renault megane electric aerial [ 2 Answers ]

I have just recently bought a reanault megane 1998. When switching the stereo on the aerial used to go up straight away. I went away for the weekend and the car was left standing, I got back in the car to come home and it hasn't worked since. The weather was pretty rough so I don't know if it is...

View more questions Search