Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BigRed1500 Posts: 70, Reputation: 8

Oct 18, 2006, 11:14 AM
    Waste / Vent Stack Setup
    I've put a 2-story addition on my house, working on the plumbing now. There are 2 full baths in the addition, one on top of the other. To make things complicated, the upstairs toilet & sink are above the downstairs shower, and the upstairs shower are above the downstairs toilet & sink.

As the distance from each of these groupings (upstairs toilet/sink, downstairs shower) / (downstairs toilet/sink, upstairs shower) is more than 6 feet apart, and to minimize cutting into the framing, I was considering running 2 stacks, one for each of these groups, then tying them back together in the attic for the final vent out the roof.

My questions are as follows:
    1. Can I have a toilet & sink drain above a shower drain on the same 3" stack, effectively wet-venting the downstairs shower, or do I need a separate dry vent for the downstairs shower?

2. On the other side of the room, where the upstairs shower is above the downstairs toilet & sink, can the downstairs toilet/sink be wet vented into the stack that drains the shower above?

The inspector told me that 2" venting is enough, but I'm getting confused on that whole "not to diminish in size" part because the main sewer line is 4", I want to run 3" for the toilets, then I'll be going down to 2" for the final venting. Is this allowed?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2006, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed1500
    I've put a 2-story addition on my house, working on the plumbing now. There are 2 full baths in the addition, one on top of the other. To make things complicated, the upstairs toilet & sink are above the downstairs shower, and the upstairs shower are above the downstairs toilet & sink.

As the distance from each of these groupings (upstairs toilet/sink, downstairs shower) / (downstairs toilet/sink, upstairs shower) is more than 6 feet apart, and to minimize cutting into the framing, I was considering running 2 stacks, one for each of these groups, then tying them back together in the attic for the final vent out the roof.

My questions are as follows:
    1. Can I have a toilet & sink drain above a shower drain on the same 3" stack, effectively wet-venting the downstairs shower, or do I need a separate dry vent for the downstairs shower?

It depends on what your local authority finds acceptable.

Most of the West Coast has adopted the Uniform Plumbing Code, which outlaws wet venting in all cases.

While other area's allow wet venting.

Personally, I would call the local plumbing inspector and ask if it is allowed in your area.

2. On the other side of the room, where the upstairs shower is above the downstairs toilet & sink, can the downstairs toilet/sink be wet vented into the stack that drains the shower above?

Again, this depends on your local authority.

The inspector told me that 2" venting is enough, but I'm getting confused on that whole "not to diminish in size" part because the main sewer line is 4", I want to run 3" for the toilets, then I'll be going down to 2" for the final venting. Is this allowed?
    No.

Reducing the size of the venting is not allowed.

You will need to go all the way through the roof with a 3" vent.
    BigRed1500 Posts: 70, Reputation: 8

Oct 18, 2006, 11:41 AM
    Thanks. Will the lower fixtures on each stack need separate venting, or are they OK to wet vent? Since the inpector told me that 2" vents are OK, maybe he thought I was referring to only the sinks/showers?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2006, 11:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed1500
    Thanks. Will the lower fixtures on each stack need separate venting, or are they OK to wet vent? Since the inpector told me that 2" vents are OK, maybe he thought I was referring to only the sinks/showers?
    Being in Seattle, I would have to supply a separate vent for each drain.

Technically, between the two baths you have fewer than 16 fixture units, which is the maximum fixture unit loading for a vertical 2" vent, but since you've already oversized the vents on the water closets with 3" vents, you will need to continue with the 3" venting all the way through the roof.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 18, 2006, 12:04 PM
    I would like to add that in my area, The Tampa Bay Area, that we are allowed to wet vent our fixtures. Check with your local Building Department.
    Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vent Stack Leaking [ 3 Answers ]

Our house, built in 1988, has a leak in its vent stack where one vent line tees into the vertical "main" vent before the main vent goes through the roof. The leaking tee is about 6 to 8 feet below the roof. Normally there is no problem with the vent stack (no smells, etc.), but when we get a...

Drain Waste Vent Outside Kitchen Smells [ 5 Answers ]

undefinedundefinedundefined :mad: Our house is 4 years old. We are on town water and sewer, no septic tank. There is a Drain Waste Vent on the outside wall of the house, directly behind the kitchen sink area. The end of the vent has a slotted cover. Approximately 1 month ago, I noticed that...

Maximum distances from the waste line vent [ 3 Answers ]

Are there generally code requirements for waste line runs in regards to how far the waste line runs from the roof vent? For example, if I convert an existing bedroom into a bathroom and the toilet is say 10 feet away from the waste line roof vent, is that going to be a problem?

Can I vent from [ 3 Answers ]

I am planning to install a bathroom in a small dormer room on the third floor of my old house. The room sits between two plumbing stacks. The original one with cast iron pipe and a newer one with ABS pipe. I wish to locate the toilet and shower stall on the wall with the cast iron stack. I...

Bathtub Vent Stack [ 2 Answers ]

First let me say this plumbing forum is very informative! Now also let me say that I am not well versed in plumbing lingo so hopefully I will be able to ask my question correctly. We plan to remodel our master bath. Currently our bathroom has a separate room for the lavatory, toilet, and...

View more questions Search