Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbagirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 12:20 PM
    Paint light switches/electrical outlets
    I recently replaced the light switch covers and electrical outlet covers from the standard beige installed by the builder to oak covers. I would like to change the color of the actual light switch and plugs to match. Can I paint them?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 21, 2009, 12:27 PM

Yes, but in my opinion it looks like *#$&. Paint gets dirty and wears off.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2009, 02:03 PM

Plus you will likely push bits of paint into the socket, which could cause a problem, may not be likely.
    And you say you want to Paint the Oak Covers? Regular plates may take paint better.
    CanaDave Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 05:50 PM
    Bbagirl,

It's inadvisable to paint electrical devices. The paint, if allowed to touch connection points, could become a conductor of electricity causing either a short circuit or an arc. Either way, this could be a fire hazard. The cover plates themselves can be removed and painted quite easily.

All the best
    abrahambaby2020 Posts: 15, Reputation: -1

Jul 22, 2009, 06:41 PM

Do simply paint it. Paint will get damaged easily. Do one thing take your take your light switch and plug to panting shop near to you actally a spray painting shop. From their you can one it very neatly and accuretly. It wiil be better . Spray painting will be more attractive than usual painting
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 22, 2009, 08:19 PM

Spray paint your switches and receptacle while they are removed from the wall. They may chip but its cheap and safe. Appliance epoxy will last longer
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2009, 05:03 AM

U may be able to buy outlet and switch in a color close to color of cover plates.

If plates are stained, will not be able to stain sw and outlet to match.

Do not paint sw and outlet with cover plate installed. Paint will go between and adhere plate to outlet. Will have to cut around outlet/sw to remove.

May break outlet when taking apart.

Chuck
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Jul 23, 2009, 08:34 PM

Have you ever been in a house where they painted the outlets?

It looks totally redneck. And I can say that because I come from a family of outlet painters, and rednecks.

I myself can not stand a painted outlet, or light swtich.

I've seem some people paint over the cover plate and all..

Although, I will agree with those on here who said to try spray painting it. At least then it won't have the brush marks.

But that too will peel in time. You will have to constantly be painting the outlets all the time.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 24, 2009, 01:57 PM

If the switches and receptacles are wiped clean with solvent the appliance epoxy I recommended will not peel. I agree, painting with a brush is going to look like junk and chip.
    daveqa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2011, 06:17 PM
    If you spray paint the switch you could get some paint into the toggel mech. Of the switch. The paint may be conductive at some point and cause a current path that could raise the temp of the switch. Also you caould also gum up the toggle mech and cause the switch the malfunction or worse still decrease the pressure that holds the electrical contacts inside the switch closed. This could cause arcing and or welding the contacts shut and not be able to turn the circu off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Height of outlets and switches [ 5 Answers ]

I have a homemade partial log cabin that we are building on to. I have a simple question- What is standard height of outlets and light switches? There is nothing standard in this house and it has been a few years since I studied electrical.

Outlets in a Series Controlled by Two Three Way Switches [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We recently painted a room and decided to change out all the switches and outlets to white ones. After switching everything out we checked all outlets and the worked. We forgot however, to clip the tabs on some of them so that they were controlled by the three way switch. Here's...

3 Electrical outlets and a light not working. [ 2 Answers ]

Some time in the middle of the night last night Three of my outlets and the light in my bedroom stopped working. All were fine when I fell asleep. I checked the breaker and it's not popped. I switched it on and off and still nothing. Other outlets and a light on the same breaker are working. Why...

No power to outlets/switches [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have an electrical issue in my kitchen. I have 3 GFI's (one of which operates), 1 standard outlet and 2 switches (one which operates an exhaust vent and one for an overhead fluorescent light and the disposal. I only have current to the one GFI. The breaker is not tripped, nor is it hot to...

A few outlets and light switches not working [ 2 Answers ]

Just recently we lost power on several outlets/lights in a section of the house. It tripped when we tried to plug the vacuum cleaner into one of the outlets. Ever since then the power is not coming back. I have checked the circuit breaker and test for voltage with a DMM (with one side touching...

View more questions Search