Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kstamps Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2006, 09:00 AM
    Filing for Divorce on our own
    My husband and I don't have enough money for a divorce attorney or mediator. We have a 4 year old son, and have not lived together in over 1 1/2 years. I refinanced the house, cashed him out, he signed off the deed and we have nothing left to split. We already split our assets. We have a great understanding about the custody and care of our son, and we work well not living together... but desperatly want this divorce. How can we file for the divorce on our own without shelling out lots of money to attorneys? Is it possible to go to our County Court?
    SINGLE4 Posts: 189, Reputation: 33

Oct 18, 2006, 09:11 AM
    A simple divorce like this would only cost approximately $250 or less in Nebraska. Not sure where you are at but... if you can't afford that even then I would suggest going and talking to the District Court Clerk's office. They can give you a form to fill out (Complaint/Petiton) which will need to be signed by both parties and notarized. Once you do this you will file it with the court. Nebraska has a $90 filing fee. The court will then send out a "Notice of Hearing" to both parties after 60 days. This hearing will be the final hearing where the judge asks both the parties if what was presented in the Petition for Dissolution is true and accurate and then signs a Decree of Dissolution of Marriage.

Good Luck!
    kstamps Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2006, 10:12 AM
    Tahnk you Single4. I live in Pennsylvania. Your response points me in the right direction. I appreciate your advice.
    Thanks,
    Kim
    sincekinder Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2006, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kstamps
    My husband and I don't have enough money fo a divoce attoney o mediato. We have a 4 yea old son, and have not lived togethe in ove 1 1/2 yeas. I efinanced the house, cashed him out, he signed off the deed and we have nothing left to split. We aleady split ou assets. We have a geat undestanding about the custody and cae of ou son, and we wok well not living togethe...but despeatly want this divoce. How can we file fo the divoce on ou own without shelling out lots of moeny to attoneys? Is it possible to go to ou County Cout?
    You can do it through the internet. Look up on a search engine regarding divorce in your state. My boyfriend and his ex did that and it only filing fee for court cost. I believe it was close to $40 here in Iowa the way he did it. They agreed on everything and it was simple.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 06:51 PM
    It may be. Contact the clerk of the county court for advice on how to proceed.
    Peelaine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kstamps
    My husband and I don't have enough money for a divorce attorney or mediator. We have a 4 year old son, and have not lived together in over 1 1/2 years. I refinanced the house, cashed him out, he signed off the deed and we have nothing left to split. We already split our assets. We have a great understanding about the custody and care of our son, and we work well not living together...but desperatly want this divorce. How can we file for the divorce on our own without shelling out lots of moeny to attorneys? Is it possible to go to our County Court?
    Do you know how to fill out a final decree of divorce?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overseas filing [ 3 Answers ]

If I am living overseas, what is the benefit of filing a NJ state income tax as a "non-resident"? Do I file a state tax return and get all the taxes deducted throughout the year back or can I claim exempt and not pay any state tax at all? Thanks for any help.

E-Filing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Can F1 Students use the free e-filing on TurboTax or any other e-filing system Thanks Joe

Divorce filing [ 1 Answers ]

I am married for 5 years, I got married in my country under the normal rituals but now settled in different country. If I want to file for Separation \ divorce where should I file (in my country or in the country I am settled) ?

Filing for NJ and NY [ 31 Answers ]

I worked in NJ and NY this year. I am a NJ resident. I am using turbo tax. When I do each state filing, do I only enter the W2s that were sent by that state into the respective return or do I need to keep them add them together? Any insight is appreciated. Dave

Filing [ 2 Answers ]

I am legal guardian and conservator of my incapacitated mother. How do I file her taxes?

View more questions Search