Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Laj45 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2009, 05:18 PM
    Network laptop to desktop with router
    Ok, this would seem to be an easy one.

I was able to connect my desktop to my laptop in like 30 seconds using the map network drive thing.

I'm now having a hell of a time connecting my laptop to my desktop. At first when I was trying to connect I was getting prompted to punch in a password for MYDESKTOPCPUNAME\GUEST. The guest user was turned off so I turned it on. Then it gave me some error about how the user doesn't have the requested log in type. So I found some crap on the internet about installing windows servre 2003 and punching in some commands to fix the issues with the guest account. So I did that and it didn't work.

Strange thing is now when I try to connect to the PC it says the path can't be found even though I can see it in the browse! So I reboot and try again and now the path can't be found and my desktop isn't even in the browse.?

HELP!!
    AKeagle Posts: 242, Reputation: 3

Jul 20, 2009, 07:22 PM

You are looking to be able to remote desktop to the computer, or just access the files on the computer?
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 21, 2009, 04:54 AM

Connecting to a Windows Server puts you in a domain instead of a workgroup. First, make sure that your network setup on each of your computers is set to use a workgroup and that the workgroup name is the same for all of your computers.

Also, make sure that File and Print Sharing is enabled on all of your computers and write down the computer name for each computer.

Now, for the security. Go to the Users and Groups and write down the user names for each machine that has administrator level permissions.

To connect to a computer, you can use the Map Drive utility and for the share name, type in the \\COMPUTER_NAME\SHARE_NAME that you wish to connect to. Select the Connect As option and type in the \\COMPUTER_NAME\USER_NAME on that computer that has access.

When you connect to a computer, you must use a user account that is on that computer. Security in a workgroup is not centralized. It is local to each computer and you must provide a user account for that computer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can not figure out my wireless network password, I have a router and wireless network [ 2 Answers ]

I have wireless network through, router. My wireless network password is saved on my laptop. My brother wants to use his laptop in my home using my wireless network, I know my ip address how do I give him password and key I have forgotten

My laptop will not connect to my wireless network(says none available)network isgood [ 3 Answers ]

My laptop will not connect to my wireless network (says none available) network is good I have another that is working fine. I

Laptop or Desktop? [ 5 Answers ]

Which is better for a college atmosphere? Top of the line system. In my personal case I plan on being a graphic designer, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Have desktop hooked to router and need to get my laptop working wirelessly [ 6 Answers ]

I have a HP desktop that is hooked to a D-Link router. Just bought a new Lenovo laptop. The laptop connects to the internet if I run a cable f mthe router to the laptop. How do I get my laptop to detect the internet wirelessly??

Laptop, desktop,and router hookup [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a dell laptop and a linksys router. I got the router installed on my laptop and it works fine. Problem is, now my desktop won't connect to the internet. I know I have something hooked up wrong. HELP!

View more questions Search