Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cklein Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2009, 03:26 PM
    Downspout size conversion
    I recently bought a rain barrel from our local sewer company for a great price. The hardware was included. Unfortunately, we have 3x4 downspouts, but the elbow pieces, hole and mesh filter with the rain barrel are 2x3. Is there a converter? I couldn't find anything at local hardward stores. If nothing does that retangle to retangle conversion, what do you recommend to get the 3x4 retangle to a 3 inch hole 18 inches or so from the downspout?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 04:25 PM

Convert 2x3 hole in rain barrel to 3x4.

Chuck
    cklein Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 08:44 AM
    Unfortunately the hole came with a mesh screen that just fits it. I can't really enlarge the hole without much more cost. Any ideas for getting the downspout smaller? There must be a plumbing option since there doesn't appear to be a downspout conversion option. Help!
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 08:19 PM

There are 2 ways u can get this to work. Neither one is an enclosed system.

Use a scupper with 2x3 outlet hooked to rain barrel and run 3x4 leader into scupper.

Or

Use a 2x3 down spout unit. Cap off ends and run 3x4 leader into it.

don't know of any other way to join the 2 different sizes. Maybe one of the experts can come up with something.

Chuck
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2009, 09:03 PM

OK, came up with this:

Fernco Universal Downspout Connector, Universal Downspout Connector, Flexible Downspout Connector, Downspout Connector | Fernco

Make your own adapter with a 4" piece of PVC in the middle?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2009, 09:13 PM

Or how about this?

Rain Reserve Downspout Adapter :: SimplyRainBarrels.com
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 09:22 PM

Hey KISS

Looks like u nailed it. Learn something new every day

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Downspout size [ 6 Answers ]

Is 3" large enough for a downspout? Should it be the same size as the gutter?

Wire size & conduit size for 60 am subpanel 150 from source [ 9 Answers ]

Indiana question: I want to install a 60amp subpanel 150 feet from the main panel. This is all exposed runs both inside and out in a commercial envirenement. What gauge and type of copper wire and what size conduit whould I use. How often should insert a junction box in the run. John

Gutter Downspout Drainage to Dry Well [ 7 Answers ]

I'm building some "dry wells" to handle the water coming from the gutter downspouts. The water will be diverted underground to a large underground drainage pit. 1. What is the purpose of a "catch basin"? Is a "catch basin" needed coming off the downspout? 2. I see that you can use pvc...

Queen size frame-full size mattress [ 2 Answers ]

I have a full size mattress set and want to know if it can be used with a queen size bed frame? I heard there was a kit that can be used to make it fit.

Redirecting downspout (diverting) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, Due to recent heavy rains, the drain in my backyard doesn't empty quickly enough and result ends up being the water backflows (?) through my shower in the basement. Used to be the toilet but the shower there is now at a lower level than the toilet. So, my question is... the downspout...

View more questions Search