Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarad26 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2009, 12:31 PM
    3 year old son is barely talking. A little worried he could be autistic.
    I have a three year old little boy who is very delayed in his speech. When he was born he wasn't breathing for a while and they had to use one of those balloon looking things to make him breath. After about 15 minutes of that he started on his own. I have always been concerned that may have affected him in some way. He crawled and walked on time and has always smiled and been very loveing. He can say words, he can actually say just about any word, its just getting him to say it. He will walk up to me sometimes and say a word he has never said before. For example he walked up to me one day and said lotion and handed me the lotion. If he wants something he usually just pulls me to it. He has a very good memory, he has almost every Wiggles dance memorized and can do the moves before they even do. He understands when you tell him to do something or get something. He plays good with all his toys and likes to play with kids but not more than like 1 or 2 kids at a time. I was worried about Autism because sometimes he flaps his hands when he gets mad or excited and sometimes he will spin around until he gets dizzy and then stop. His doctor kind of acted like if he was Autisic he wouldn't be loving and playful and understand and follow directions like he does. Im going to put him in speech theropy. Has anyone else went through this with their 3 year old and if so were you able to pull him out of it and get him to talk? Thanks, Sara
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 12:38 PM

It doesn't sound like autism to me hon, but it is possible that the lack of oxygen at birth may have delayed his speech.

I would talk to his pediatrition.

Also, the fact that he understands is very encouraging.

I would try to make him talk by telling him 'if you want your toy, say TOY' or 'if you want a snack, say PLEASE'

And see where that leads you.

And remember to relax. It sounds like you have a smart beautifull loving little boy and a speech problem is easily over came. My daughter is 5 and talks like she is 3, however speech therepy has been helping a lot and she should be talking normal in a year or 2.

Good luck hon
    sarad26 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2009, 01:57 PM
    Thank you so much. Its just hard for me not to look so deep into things, Im a big time worrier!!
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 02:18 PM

Haha TRUST me. I'm going through exactly the same thing!!

Here is my post from yesterday. I started asking a question, and ended up letting ALL my worries out!

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/childr...ld-377150.html

We had a doc appt today but I had to cancel because my daughter is sick today :( and the office we were going to isn't for sick kids.
    Jillian11905 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2009, 12:26 PM

I have been there. My son was verbal but not to others and no one could really understand him. He has come a long way in the past year and he is so bright. He still has a tendency to talk a little fast making it harder to understand him but I see a HUGE difference from a year ago. Your son will be fine. With Speech Therapy and preschool and you incorporating what he learns at home he will move right along.
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2009, 07:49 PM

Hi! I wanted to touch base with you and see how things are going?
    maur55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2009, 08:06 PM
    My grandson is three four in dec. He also doesn't say much We can get him to say words but he doesn't talk sentences , He seems to understand directions and what is going on , He also tries to get what he wants by actions and pulling on you , He has started tyke talk and Jk this September so we are all hoping he will soon start talking , He gets frustrated a lot and throws stuff or shakes kitchen chairs , doctor always said he will talk when he is ready ,but that isn't happening , sweet boy very smart beside the speech thing ,
    wendy76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2012, 02:58 PM
    Hi, it is unreal how much this sounds like my son too! Just wondering how you are getting on as I notice this is an old thread, I really hope you get this message , wendy x
    Sophiebrown Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2012, 10:09 PM
    Hello.

My little boy is 3 years 5 months, has attended preschool for 10 months and mixed with other children in family and tots groups since birth.

He talks quite a lot at home but his speech isn't clear and his sentences are 6 words long at the very most. He is unusually quiet in front of others.

He is such a well behaved child who is very bright for his age. His speech therapist has been visiting each month for three months but she doesn't seem to do much with him, instead she talks to me and hands out several work sheets for my child and I to work through together.

We need more help but I'm not sure who to turn to now.
    Sophiebrown Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2012, 10:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wendy76 View Post
    hi, it is unreal how much this sounds like my son too! just wondering how you are getting on as i notice this is an old thread, i really hope you get this msg , wendy x
    How is your little boy getting on Wendy?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

5 year old talking to gohst.and went to hospital today. [ 11 Answers ]

5 year old talking to gohst.. and went to hospital today please answer? So my friends daughter is 5 years old and since she was 2 she has seen ghost and talked to them.. now she's 5 and me and my friend were talking to her today and trying to see what she would say about the ghost and she like...

How do I teach my 2 year old girl talking? [ 3 Answers ]

I have twin girls,who are in good health,have no problem preventing them from speaking,. they speak very few words although they understand every word I say... how can I help them?

My two year old is barely talking [ 13 Answers ]

My little boy will be 2 next month. He says the normal things like Momma, Dada, Car, Truck, SHoe, Hot, Cold, Dog But that's about it. I was reading up on some articles on toddlers and talking and it said the typical 2 year old knows about 50-75 words already. My son is very alert and smart...

Boyfriend talking to ex again: livid, worried... [ 6 Answers ]

I've posted about my jealousy before, but I don't think I've ever mentioned my constant paranoia and worry about my boyfriend's intentions with his ex-girlfriends, and basically our relationship. I guess I didn't realize I had the last two firmly present in my life until three days ago. His...

View more questions Search