Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 10:26 AM
    Whole House Generator - Opinions Sought
    Lately I have been reading about household backup generators that run off NG/LPG indefinitely.

Does anyone have an opinion as to their value in a hurricane zone? (Central FL) We're new to the area and haven't experienced our first big storm yet and I was looking at different preparation plans.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 11:20 AM

NG rarely goes out. LPG requires a tank. Gas requires a tank. A generator doesn't last too long before you have to fill the tank. Getting gas may be a problem. How much do you want to store.

There are also muti-fuel portable generators. e.g will accept natureal or unleaded gasoline

Inverter based portable generators are better for sensitive electronics.

An always on UPS system combined with a regular generator can protect sensitive loads. The UPS must be generator connectable (i.e. able to withstand frequency variations at it's input)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whole house automatic generator [ 15 Answers ]

I'm getting estimates on an automatic whole house back up generator. I'm told a 10 horsepower (or something like that) is the unit I need and I could also use a 12 but nothing smaller. One contractor said to make sure the one I select has a governor (?). The other one said that doesn't matter....

Opinions sought on horrible break up situation [ 123 Answers ]

Threads merged Hi all I broke up with the ex a couple of months ago from a pretty serious relationship (we were going to move away together - she was in love etc). I never challenged her decision or put any pressure on her for anything - just said that I wouldn't try and get us back...

Whole House generator [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all! My question is regarding generators. I have a generator that I wheel in and out when needed but due to some physical limitations am now looking at purchasing a "whole house generator". My understanding is that it's possible to fuel these by hooking them up to your gas line? ...

Powering house with a generator [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to power a portion of my house with a generator is that possible and what do I need to do to accomplish this in case of a power failure

Generator<->house? [ 35 Answers ]

Two recent extended power outages reminded me I still don't have a connection for my generator. Yeah, I managed the fridge, freezer, coffee maker, etc on some extension cords, but the pump would be nice too, and maybe next time the furnace too. So I got a 6250 watt generator for $371. I would...

View more questions Search