Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bettyboop 1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2009, 08:34 AM
    Moving from uk what age do children attend school
    Hi we will be moving from the uk soon to New York, what grade will my son of 5 be in and my daughter 10.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 09:04 AM

It can depend on when their next birthday is but more than likely your son would be in kindergarten... similar to year one. However, if he is soon 6 he may go into first grade. Your ten year old might go into fifth grade... similar to year 6.

Best suggestion would be to contact the school they will be attending and find out what the curriculum is for the grade levels. You can then compare the information to what they are finishing with now.

Something's will overlap... so odds are good that they will repeat some information while learning new concepts as well. When you arrive, visit the schools and speak with the administration to decide which grade level would best meet your children's needs and abilities.
    Holly23 Posts: 180, Reputation: 15

Jul 20, 2009, 09:06 AM

If your in your last year of school what grade are you in in America?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2009, 03:24 PM

For the majority, they would be in the 12th grade and either 17 or 18 years old.
    claireiopia Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2009, 04:53 PM

Your 5 year old son would probably be in Kindergarten, unless he is going to turn 6 during the summer, then he would be going into 1rst grade. Your 10 year old daughter would be in 4th grade if she just turned 10, but if she's about to be 11, she would be going into 5th grade. Good luck on your move :)
    auntie_m Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2009, 04:59 PM
    It is most likely that your son will be in 1st grade and your daughter will be in 6th or 5th grades.:)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2009, 06:06 PM

The US goes something like this: pre-school, kindergarten, elementary school (1-8) High School (9-12)

This might be further differentiated as middle school and jr high school. If I remember, it's been a long time, You have to turn by the time school starts which can vary from the last week in August to the first week in September.

There has recently been standardized testing. They may have to take test for placement.

Also see: No Child Left Behind Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not current as to particulars.

Testing is now required for math placement in many colleges.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 5, 2009, 06:41 PM

Your child will be placed in what is called "age appropriate placement." The schooll will look at their birth dates just like you already heard. The administrator will determine where he/she would be in that school if they had started in kindergarten and worked the way up. No placement testing will be done. That usually was done only to figure out which of the many reading groups would be best back in the day when each room had 3-5 reading groups.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do you attend school for when you have a felony [ 7 Answers ]

What do you attend school for when you have a felony conviction?

Moving with children [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently divorced and wanting to move to another city with my children. There father has not been actively involved and lived 2 hours from us at this time. I am looking to move to another city that is 20 minutes from where I currently living and have lived with the children since the...

View more questions Search