Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RomanK Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jul 20, 2009, 06:53 AM
    This really bothers me
    Recently I've started exploring the basics of Buddhism and I've got a question that bothers me a lot.

The purpose of every soul is to end the cycle of reincarnating and obtain nirvana through mediation or other means. If one accomplishes that and stops the eternal cycle of reincarnating, he becomes totally free. Overall, Buddha always tried to avoid the question of what nirvana truly was and rather wanted to help people to achieve it placing it as the main goal of every soul.

However, what if my ultimate goal isn't the immortality of my soul, but the immortality of my personality? What if the only thing I want is to be remembered for centuries and become a historical figure? What if I am not afraid of staying in the cycle?

It's similar to the case of, let's say, Alexander the Great. He was known as one of the most powerful kings in the world and he is still the matter of continuous study. His name is immortal, therefore.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 06:59 AM

I think you are confusing legend with eternity?

Your spirit and soul go on in eternity. Who you are/were goes on in legend.

I do not believe in reincarnation, but I guess that is not what you are asking.
    I do believe there is a phenomena we call reincarnation but it is something entirely different than reincarnation.

Jul 20, 2009, 07:27 AM

You didn't get what I meant.

Some people spend their lives to achieve nirvana making it as their primary goal. But what if others don't need this freedom and instead they want their name to live forever?

To sum up all this, do we really need to free our souls?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 07:32 AM

Many people never do free their souls so I guess the answer is no.

For one if reincarnation and what you are asking is real then why is there so much crime wouldn't reincarnation evolved at least evolved us to the point there was no more killing?
    So no I do not believe that ALL ever have their souls freed.

Jul 20, 2009, 09:50 AM

Crime appears to be the result of souls that never learn their mistakes and, tehrefore, never achieve nirvana.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being friends with ex bothers new boyfriend [ 18 Answers ]

I am in a relationship at the present time that is going very well. We are both divorced and have children from our prior marriages. This spring will be a year for us; however, we've taken things very slow. He has his own home and I have mine. We are not talking about living together or...

Girlfriend said something that bothers me [ 23 Answers ]

We have been dating almost a year now. When we first started dating, she admitted that she had a crush on me years ago because I never chased her around (like most guys do). I have dated a decent amount of people, but this is my first proper relationship (not long distance, longer than a few...

No career with a deadend job and it bothers me [ 7 Answers ]

Hey folks, So as the title of my post tells, I have no career. At 31, I've had about 5 jobs in my life(mostly retail, except for my current job), Graduated college, traveled a bit, wrote and produced my own CD and still have no experience or skills with things I feel are pretty common with...

My b/f talks about other girl being attractive and that bothers me. [ 10 Answers ]

My boyfriend sometimes talks about girls that he know and some that he dated. He talks about how they are pretty and attractive or sometimes about their body... it bothers me but when I say something to him he gets mad and says its no big thing. What should I do?

Here is something unexplained that really bothers me and I don't know what it is. [ 1 Answers ]

There are many things I do not understand that happen to me. I have gone through several experiences that I do not talk about because I feel I am going insane. One of these however, seems to have to do with a lot of the things that are happening. In this I will give as much information about...

View more questions Search