Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AaeJay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2009, 11:38 PM
    Verification of Naturalization through parent
    Hello, I am 25 years old and I was about to apply for citizenship when I was told by a friend that I should already be a citizen since my mom was naturalized when I was 16 years old. My father had already passed away by then. I wanted to know what do I do? Should I just go and apply for a passport? I been in the US for 23 years. I went through the school system here.. I want to go on vacation but I don't know what to do. I was about to renew my indian passport which has been expired since I was 14. Please help me
    tufa4311 Posts: 30, Reputation: 4

Oct 20, 2009, 03:47 PM
    This is what's called Derivative Citizenship (as you may have "derived" citizenship through your parent(s)). The laws of derivative citizenship have changed many times throughout the years in the US. It sounds like you may fall under the newest law called the Child Citizenship Act (CCA). To fall under the laws of this act you have to be under 18 as of Feb. 21, 2001. If you meet this age requirement these are the rules for you:

-at least one parent is a US citizen either by birth or naturalization
    -if you were illegitimate at birth you must have been legitimated by your father by the time you reached 16
    -you were under 18 as of Feb 21, 2001
    -you were unmarried (at least unmarried at the time that you met all these other conditions)
    -you were a lawful permanent resident (you had your Green Card)
    -you were residing in the legal and physical custody of your citizen parent
    -if you were adopted, you had to be in the legal and physical custody of your citizen parent before the age of 16 and living with your adopted parents for at least 2 years

Here is a link with the Rules: http://www.corporateprobono.org/arch...source1343.pdf

Review the rules that apply to you based on you year of birth.

Also, here is a link to the gov't page for the CCA: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0048f3d6a1RCRD

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Greek Naturalization [ 1 Answers ]

My wife is pursuing Greek naturalization. Although born in the US, her papoo and yaya came from Kambi on Crete. Many sites state that due to her Greek ancestry she does not have to jump through the hoops like I would (Scottish). One item was an intense interview that she was told she did NOT...

Felony and naturalization [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone who obtained citizenship under a us citizen parent and has a felony charge against them be able to apply for a us passport?

Naturalization papers [ 4 Answers ]

In filing for Italian dual citizenship do I need a $380. Copy of my grandfather's naturalization papers or will a photocopy do?

Naturalization during the civil war [ 2 Answers ]

If a non-american citizen fought in the civil war, would they automatically become citizens or would they still need to apply? Thanks

Naturalization [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My wife received her green card in November 2003. We had been married over two years and had a child when we applied, so she received a permanent green card from the very beginning. I had been working overseas since 2000, and we were preparing to move back permanently to the US. We were...

View more questions Search