Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Niabhey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2009, 08:13 AM
    What sort of interview questions can I expect as a newly qualified primary teacher?
    I am just starting and have not yet done a job interview for a primary teacher position. Does anyone have any suggestions for possible questions I should prepare or tips for the interview?
    Would really love some help as I am a total newbe here!

Thanks!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2009, 08:25 AM
    There are about as many different questions you could be asked as there are teachers in this country! But you'll no doubt be asked some questions to give the interviewer an overall idea as to your teaching philosophy and how well (s)he feels you'll fit in with the program at hand. Actually, they've already probably pretty much made up their minds what type of candidate they want to fill the position and it's possible that you fit the bill so keep that in mind also. Be prepared to talk about your prior experience and give concrete, specific details concerning situations you've faced, how you've handled those situations and why you resorted to the tactics you did. Good luck.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2009, 03:26 PM

In addition... know the school you are applying to... check out their website. What programs do they offer, what are their strengths and their weaknesses, what are their scores like... for example, if you are in the UK, find out their OFSTED report results. If in the US, how did they do on AYP. Know the curriculum and be able to give examples of how you will best implement what is required.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 03:33 PM

One they will say is Why did you want to become a teacher? Please do not say because I love kids! Everyone says that and it is annoying. Young goats are kids , young people are children and I am sure you can come up with a better reason!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 04:02 PM

As Doula suggested,know your school.
    If they are a culturally diverse school,be prepared to understand the variety of cultures and mores of the varying groups.

I think the only questions that I would ask would be in response to what your interviewer would ask.

I think being honest and open has always worked for me in an interview.They know you are nervous.

Just be yourself.Know that you will be a good teacher.I assume you have had an internship in teaching,you may want to discuss how that went,if the opportunity arises.

You might ask about classroom size,how many students would you need to plan for.Will you have a T.A?

There have been many cutbacks in schools and you may discuss how that has impacted them.

I would let your interviewer carry the ball.

I found a link you may find helpful.

I am a retired teacher and I come from a family of teachers (4 in all)and I applaud your decision.

The Teacher Interview

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Primary interview questions [ 1 Answers ]

I have an interviewfor a primary school and require any relevant questions and answers that you think a panel may ask me during my interview- I am an NQT:o

Primary school interview [ 1 Answers ]

Why do you want to admit your child in our school

Interview a teacher [ 3 Answers ]

What format do you use for writing lesson plans?

Teacher interview [ 5 Answers ]

How would you involve parent in your teaching profession?

Interview questions for Primary MFL [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a secondary school teacher who wishes to teach Languages (french and spanish) in Primary schools. I have my first ever interview with a primary school and am unsure of what to expect. I would like to know if anyone has any tips on what type of questions I will be asked in the interview?...

View more questions Search