Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elaha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 07:43 PM
    Shoplifting
    Hi Dear,

I am 19 years old. I was shoplifting four days ago and I was caught by the security in Zellers. I got a fingerprint date and court date which is next month and I am fined under $5000.00. I am really nervous and don't know what to do, I can't sleep at nights and neither can concentrate in my studies. I am a full time student and don't have a job. I can't afford to have a lawyer but is it possible to get a lawyer from the court for free and my other questions is, is it possible that judge throw me to the jail for 6 months. I will appreciate if anyone try to help me PLEASE.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2006, 07:49 PM
    If this is a first offense and the amount of theft not exorbitant, it's doubtful that you'll go to jail. Likewise, since your freedom is not at at stake, the court will probably not appoint you a lawyer. Have you tried negotiating with the store to make full restitution plus extra compensation (for their expenses and inconvenience) in exchange for them dropping the charges and your promise to never go in that store again? Staying out of court saves them a lot of time and hassle and volunteering to pay them back is the easiest way for them to recoup their losses. It's also good for you in that you avoid a conviction, record and sentence (which would probably be a year's probation ; very tough for a student.) In all likelihood, that's the course of action a lawyer would propose to you if you hired one. Think about it.
    elaha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 07:58 PM
    Thanks for your answer that was fast. While the security was questioning me I was very nervous, he was keep saying that you have done it before too, so I just lied to them that you I have done it before I stole $300 and I also did in walmat even though because my mom was keep calling me from home and I wanted to go home so I just lied to them from nowhere. I have never done it before in my life that was my first shoplifting.. sometimes a stupid thing can ruin someone's life and that's what exactly happened to me I don't know what was wrong with me that I did that. But do you think its possible if I call zellers and tell them that I am sorry and I am ready to pay the damages but to drop the court case because it is already in my criminal record I really really need help. I seen a lawyer but he was kind of damn and didn't know what he should do himself and he was demanding of $1000 and I really can't afford that so I was wondering to go to court one day and try to seek for help from one of the lawyer because I am really ashmed of what I have done and I really need help.
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Oct 17, 2006, 08:34 PM
    I doubt it if they are going to throw in jail for 6 months if this is your first offense. The important thing is to learn from this experience and quit for sure. Next time you get caught (and you WILL get caught), you won't get off lightly.
    Seattle123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 11:54 PM
    Yes, there are free legal resources for people who can't afford an attorney. Free public clinics often host free legal services from attorney's who will provide half hour sessions at no cost to those who cannot afford their services. Check your yellow pages for free public clinics (medical) and then call them for a referral for free legal services - good luck!
    sounia Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2006, 01:07 AM
    [elaha]Hi Dear,

\I a m so nerveus like you because I have done a mistake without real intention.I am curious to know what have you did?
    What happened to you?
    Did you get a lawyer?a free one or?
    Hope no bad events come to us any more.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 25, 2006, 03:00 AM
    I will note that in larger cities there are often legal clinics, but in rural america often there is not even a public defenders office, but merely private attorneys who are appointed by the judge when needed.

But the offer to settle for 1000 is a good one, since an attorney would cost more than that. And if they droped the charges, you would not have a record. Most likely with fines and the such you will end up paying more than that anyway.
    The_Great_One Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2008, 10:37 PM
    I got caught today shoplifting from Zellers... and just like you I did it from Wal-Mart before as well stealing shoes.. easy to get away from there.. However it's a matter of time if you get caught. Because I have stolen from Zellere before, I just put the shirt on and walked out. I was in the interrogation room, but they let me off because I was BROWN, they made a comprise with anyone who is brown or chinese and say if you let them call your parents they will let you go without pressing charges, but screw the white people. Because they kept saying if you were white you'd be so ed right now... they think that you will probably learn your lesson if your asian or east indian by calling your parents because its such an embarrassed meant in our cultures and we get really screwed by our parents. That is why you being white got screwred.. all I got to say to you is tough luck.and if you need a lawyer man.. call someone quick.. but they offer legal aid anywhere.. so just look it up.. LEGAL AID.u will get a free lawyer.. anyways goodluck.. it true though.. little things like this your life up... but make sense of everything before e u do it.. is it really worth it...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shoplifting [ 17 Answers ]

Is it considered shoplifting to consume something that you intend to purchase in a store before actually paying for it (e.g. a can of soda), even if you intend to pay for it all along and in fact do pay for it immediately after consuming it?

View more questions Search