Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetmelika6907 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2009, 08:46 PM
    Stepparent adoption
    My husband would like to adopt my daughter. We live in PA. Her biological father is willing to relinquish his rights. The only complication is we can't get a straight answer as to what we can do... the biological father is my husbands brother. Does anyone know the process we have to go through?
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Jul 18, 2009, 01:45 AM

Forgive me for asking this but I really want to be sure. Are you serious?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 18, 2009, 04:26 AM

First, please pay more attention to posting guidelines. There is a Read First sticky at the top of the Adoption forum (where this was originally posted) that directs legal questions to this forum.

While the back story here (your husband's brother being the father of your daughter) may be interesting, its irrelevant. I don't know where you have gone for answers, but the simple fact is you need an attorney to prepare the adoption petition and relinquishment of rights. So your first step is to shop around for an attorney. Your attorney will then detail the process, which generally is preparation of the petition and submission to a local Family Court for approval.

Since the bio father is agreeable, this should be fairly simple.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2009, 05:32 AM
    Call the lawyer referral service for your local bar association. Tell them it's concerning an adoption. They'll give you the name of an attorney with experience in these matters.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 09:46 AM

You find a lawyer to draw up the papers and go to court to have it finished. Because all parties are in agreement it will be pretty easy but you do need a lawyer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

STEPparent adoption [ 1 Answers ]

I am so confused. I have a 7yr old daughter who has not seen or heard from her biological father in 5 years. When we first split (we were never married) I gave him my phone number and address and told him to send me $100 a month to help with her because I knew money was tight for him.I took her to...

Stepparent adoption [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Florida and have no father listed on my sons birth certificate. I've been married 2 years and me and my husband have been together since my son was 6 months old, he is now 3. I don't know who his biological dad is I only know his first name. What steps do I need to take in order for my...

Child Adoption by StepParent [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Florida and have recently married, I have a 8 yr old from a previous relationship, The father lives in Illinois, My husband wants to adopt my child, but her father will not consent, he has never paid child support, he has not seen her for over 3yrs.he has only spoken to her maybe 4...

Stepparent Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I married a man with a 13 year old son and I want to adopt him. He has not had any contact from his bio mother in over 2 years. Her whereabouts are unknown, the last was heard she was in Australia. How does one go about starting procedures on stepparent adoption and is 2 years of no contact...

View more questions Search