Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilloco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2009, 03:43 PM
    My car sometimes dies on the stop light why?
    I have a pontiac grand prix and I installed a sound system on it and started having problems like it would die on the stop light only when I had my music up loud and then it took a while to get it to start it takes about 4 min until it starts again may be it's the battery to small but the battery doesn't die
    suptclark Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

Jul 18, 2009, 07:46 AM

Those big sound systems require larger output alternator and battery.
    modular01 Posts: 129, Reputation: 36

Jul 19, 2009, 03:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lilloco View Post
    i have a pontiac grand prix and i installed a sound system on it and started having problems like it would die on the stop light only when i had my music up loud and then it took a while to get it to start it takes about 4 min til it starts again may be its the battery to small but the battery doesnt die
    Sounds like you are drawing too much power away from the charging system. A telltale sign is when you have the car at a steady speed, at night, with the headlights on. If the stereo is up and the headlights dim, you've got a power drawing problem. You need a higher amperage alternator, a heavy duty battery (like an optima or diehard) and a capacitor. That way you avoid overtaxing your charging system.

In any case, make sure that all your wires are secured, with no pinching, and that you are using the correct gauge wire for your application. Also, make sure that everything is ground correctly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bravada dies at light, sometimes while driving under 40mph [ 3 Answers ]

My 97 bravada sometimes dies while at a light also has died while driving usually under 40mph. Both times it tried to start again... sputtered and went out again. Always restarts though. Just had a trany service done(the valves). What is it?

94 buick lesabre hesitates, dies, eng. Light, etc. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 94 buick lesabre w/ 3.8L eng. I has 120,000 miles and has knocked since 90,000 with no loss in power (except for hesitation) and knock does not appear worse (apparently piston rod bearing), also does not burn oil. Recently, alternator and battery was replaced. Took it to mechanic...

Light on, car dies? [ 2 Answers ]

Here is my problem I have an 89 cavalier the engine runs great until I turn the lights on or put it in gear or step on the break the car dies like I had a kill switch on it but it does not have an alarm installed. I think a wire is grounding out on something I changed the head gasket recently and...

Recessed light suddenly stop working... [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. My daughter's room has 6 recessed lights that are controlled by a dimmer switch. Today, I went to turn them on (they have worked fine up until today), we recently had new doors installed and I was spackling, and when I tried to turn the lights on, the dimmer switch wouldn't turn the light's on...

92 Honda Accord Dies at stop lights [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I Have a 92 Honda Accord Automatic that is having problems. For the last couple weeks it seems to be idleing low when you are at a stop light or stop sign like in the 500 range. Well the other day at stop it died and about 20 minutes later it started again. Well 2 days after that it did the...

View more questions Search