Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    latingmex Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2009, 02:21 PM
    Shutdown a PC over a WAN?
    I know I can shutdown a computer on my LAN by going to start > run > cmd > shutdown -i
    I enter the computer's IP and then I shut it down. Works great to shutdown PCs to save on electricity.

Is there a way to shutdown one of my computers in my home LAN over a WAN connection?

For example, if I'm at work how can I shutdown one of my computers at home over the WAN?

I would like to avoid using RDP, Symantec PCAnywhre, LogMeIn... etc.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
    latingmex
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jul 17, 2009, 05:46 PM
    Would this be an ad-hoc request?

You could use a shutdown scheduled task to automatically shutdown at a certain time by running a batch script.

Don't know how you would gain access to a LAN over a WAN without some type of communications software without RPC.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 20, 2009, 04:33 AM

I would not start by assuming that you have protected your home network by placing it behind a router and firewall to make in invisible to such requests by others who are not so honest.

So, if you can ping your PC, you can shut it down. If it is behind a router, then you would have to use something like VPN to get into your network so that you can gain access to your computer.
    Dont treadonme Posts: 115, Reputation: -6

Aug 3, 2009, 09:10 AM

via email... creativity required

Example, not recommended

Send email automatically / schedule auto e-mail tasks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shutdown Problems [ 5 Answers ]

When I start my PC in Internet explore I get something to come up and say: Lexplore: This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shutdown. Then all I can do shutdown abd it takes me back to my desktop And I have opened up again, most of the times it does it again. Where I...

MY computer keeps on shutdown by it self [ 3 Answers ]

My computer for some reason is shutting down by its self. I don't know why, I tried to scan for virus nothing big comes up, McAfee found no Virus and this problem has still countinued. Sometimes I have lost few really important documents that I might have been typing, and the computer will shut off...

Shutdown LAN [ 13 Answers ]

Dear all, Please help me in this matter , I want to shut down the LAN with password proetected.It Is possible. Please help me to do this to stop LAN from working... Please help me urgent

Autometic shutdown after a while [ 4 Answers ]

Dear All, My problem is my PC autometically shuted down after working for 1 to 2 hours. If I try switch on again it just try to on for few seconds and get off itself. If I power off for more than 2/3 hours and switchon again it starts for 1/2 hours and again autometically shuted down and happened...

View more questions Search