Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lucytwo2 Posts: 57, Reputation: 2

Jul 17, 2009, 02:05 PM
    Fleas ?
    Does any one know how long it takes for Advantage to start working after it is applied?Its been 2 days and my lab is still scratching.
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 02:38 PM

It depends on really, how big your dog is, how much you used, if she stays clean, etc.

In my experience, it works within a day on clean, indoor dogs, and it takes a week to work (when it does) on filthy outdoor dogs.

Are you sure that it is fleas she is scratching? Like humans, there are more things that can make a dog itchy. Give your dog a flea check and determine if there are any fleas still there, and where, how many, etc.

Jul 17, 2009, 03:06 PM

She had a bath last weekend and she is a very clean dog.Only goes out to do her business and right back in.She is a lab about 80 lbs. and we used the correct amount for a dog up to 88 lbs. I did see a few fleas but she still seems to be scratching a lot and biting and chewing at herself.
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jul 17, 2009, 03:07 PM
    You might need to try a different brand. Some brands don't work as well as others. I've never had a dog but I do know that it should only take 1 or 2 days.

Jul 17, 2009, 03:14 PM

I have heard that labs have dry skin and I wonder if the bath has anything to do with her chewing and biting herself.
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jul 17, 2009, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lucytwo2 View Post
    I have heard that labs have dry skin and I wonder if the bath has anything to do with her chewing and biting herself.
    I'm not sure but I don't think that a bath could have anything to do with her chewing and biting herself.

You said you saw fleas in her so there are fleas.

You should try one more day of flea treatment and if she doesn't stop take her to a vet.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 17, 2009, 05:17 PM
    If you're still finding fleas, then looking for another cause is moot.

Flea bites continue to itch dogs just as badly as humans, but a habit of scratching is easy to develop and hard to break.

Labs are bred for water, so another bath without soap will not hurt your pup and can get some of the surviving fleas off.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2009, 11:40 PM

After 2 days even if all the fleas are gone they can still be itchy.

Think of mosquito bites, they still itch for days after you get bitten.

I used Advantage on mine a few months back and even after the fleas were gone they were still scratching.

Some dogs can have a reaction to the actual flea medication but it is rare.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 02:46 PM
    If your dog is prone to fleas, it might be best to treat him/her monthly so that the fleas never have a chance. (Instead of waiting till they itch)
    During the spring/summer months my pups get a dose the beginning of every month along with heartworm meds.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get rid of fleas? [ 3 Answers ]

I rescued a 9 month old Boxer 2 evenings ago. He has fleas. Not a horrible case of them but I know how quickly they can multiply. I bathed and treated him with Frontline but I noticed this morning that he still has them. Did I do something wrong? Did I not do enough or have I just not waited long...

Fleas [ 4 Answers ]

My puppies have fleas they are 3 weeks what can I use ?:confused:

Fleas [ 3 Answers ]

Howdy folks, I have 3 dogs,a toy poodle,a jack russle/chiawawamix, and an 86 poubd chow dog.We have all the high dollar flea stuff, and can kill them on the dogs, but my question is... What can I do about killing them in the yard?? Is there a spray or some sort of poisen to kill these things in...

How to get rid of fleas? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a total of 8 dogs at the moment. They are all full blooded min pins. 5 of them are 5weeks and 5days old today. They are the ones I am inquiring about. The poor babies have fleas. Is it safe to put skin so soft on puppies this young? Is there anything that I can do to help these little...

How to get rid of fleas on cat [ 4 Answers ]

Quick question about fleas on a cat. We discovered that our indoor cat has fleas. So we shampooed him with flea shampoo then we gave him Zodiac Spot on Plus flea & tick Control 3mth supply 2 days ago & today I have found at least 4 live ones still on him. What else can we do to get rid of fleas. We...

View more questions Search