Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BonnieSpotts Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 02:55 PM
    Are there any documented statistics that prove that uniforms improve school safety, student performance, or test scores?

Are there any documented statistics that support OPPOSITION to mandatory school uniforms?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2006, 04:21 PM
    While I am sure there are, in basics it does away with "gang" clothing or colors and also stops the status of my designer clothes and the lower income that can't afford the designner clothes.

It brings everyone more alike and allows education to flow without status symbols.

I would say common sense should be enough to show it works great.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 17, 2006, 04:50 PM
    I have to agree with Fr. Chuck here.

Does away with gangster colors and the like.

Also does away with the competition of whose clothes are better and more expensive.

Keeps boy's eyes from darting to midriff tops on girls, need I go on?
    isha_miranda Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2006, 05:22 PM
    Yes School Uniforms gives the symbol of Students and Education.
    Mostly it gives equal status of live hood among the students in school. No class barrier, Rich or poor or that matter ethnicity.

Student represents the future Generation in the country. We need to protect them and discipline them for betterment of the nation. Today USA and Canada public school student's dose not represent the school but represent the brand name clothing outlets. They could go any where from disco night clubs to any where with out any one recognizes as a student.

It is the fact brain not function not because you are not wearing the Uniform, but Uniform gives a dignity and respect to yourself as a present/future member from Generation and also other too respect you as student and future Generation.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Nov 18, 2006, 09:24 AM
    [I agree with the past replies there are many sites available on the question of school uniforms and if uniforms will help children with their striving for education... there are reasons for the discussion on the issues for uniform.. it is just fine to hit the topic but to give the topic more power.. give reason for the need for school uniforms... here are a few sites to help you along in all directions necessary for an effective paper:
    About uniform the following sites:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/talking_point/1843895.stm

http://ethics.tamucc.edu/comments.pl?sid=1508&cid=45128

http://www.captaincynic.com/thread/1...l_uniforms.htm

http://www.redeaglespirit.com/arrrgh...es/000592.html

http://www.educationworld.com/a_admi...admin130.shtml

http://www.middleweb.com/INCASEUniforms.html

The following site suggested reading about why uniforms are necessary or not:

www.publiceducation.org/

www.nsba.org/

http://www.heritage.org/Press/Commentary/ed06292001.cfm

http://www.heritage.org/Press/Commentary/ed053199b.cfm

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Stossel/story?id=1500338

Also check The National Center for Education Statistics, Digest of Education Statistics, [for the year you need statistics and if you want paper work on the statistics write to the Washington D.C. : U.S. Government Printing Office]

Google is find but also check out ask.com... just ask the question... the site is for research also...

Nov 18, 2006, 10:31 AM
    Have to disagree with the whole uniform thing. Should students have to live by a dress code? Of course. THAT is common sense. There is enough research out there to support both sides of the coin, though, in regards to uniform. If we are creating a cookie cutter society where everyone acts and looks the same, then bring on the uniforms. If we are creating a society where individuality and creativity are favored, then allow those traits to be nurtured.

It's especially interesting that you bring this up, since I currently teach at a non-uniformed private school and I have a house guest from China. He was raised in a uniformed school system (obviously) and has made it very clear to me that it creates a philosophy of homogeny. He has often commented (since he essentially lives in my classroom) that not only are my students on an even level with Chinese math students, they are significantly more creative. Is this solely because of the individuality promoted in our dress code? Probably not. Do I see lower achievement and lesser creativity from most of my uniformed counterparts around the county? Yes I do.

In the end, the uniform vs non-uniform debate pivots on what you are desiring. Easier classroom control? Uniform. Individuality and creativity? Non-uniform.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 18, 2006, 01:46 PM
    One thing for sure, no one is going to take your designer whatever from you and if your not from that school you will stick out like sore thumb, and you can't skip school without a change of clothes (which they probably have in there book bags already) I'm not sure at all about the creativity argument because being a creative dresser is not high on my list of talents for a student, and has nothing to do with painting or poetry. The main things as I see it are security and a level playing field between the haves and have nots'.
    kyop Posts: 48, Reputation: 11

Nov 18, 2006, 01:48 PM
    It has nothing to do with being a creative dresser. It has to do with being an individual. Uniforms take away individuality. Individuality fosters creativity.
    Expert

Nov 18, 2006, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kyop
    It has nothing to do with being a creative dresser. It has to do with being an individual. Uniforms take away individuality. Individuality fosters creativity.
    Then they may have to be more creative, as I believe individuality comes from within and has nothing to do with what's outside. Just my take on it.

Nov 18, 2006, 11:45 PM
    How can they be more creative and more of an individual when the majority of their waking lives are spent in a cookie cutter environment? Yes, I said the majority of their waking lives. Do the math. You really think that children can break out of the mold when they don't even recognize that the mold exists? You might get a few, but the majority... a significant majority... will simply learn to live within the confines of expectation. Uniforms, desks in rows, and teachers spewing facts results in a generation capable of little more than regurgitating knowledge. If we ever expect students to move beyond what we teach them, we need to encourage them and show them how. That's why teachers exist. We need to move beyond the axiom of, "You are an individual...just like everybody else" and start actually believing in the individual child. It's a lot easier to do and believe when they don't look exactly alike. How can you honestly think that you could look a child in the face and say, "Look to your left, right, front and back. Do you see those people that look exactly like you? Well, you are unique!" It's a crock and the kid knows it.
    Expert

Nov 19, 2006, 07:00 AM
    As a parent I don't think uniforms have anything to do with the school curriculum, or the quality of education, or the competence of the teacher. As far as individuality or being creative, that is my domain as a parent to nurture my own child.

Nov 19, 2006, 08:24 AM
    If only the other 99.999999999% of the population felt the way that you did. Sadly, the place where children are nurtured, taught, stimulated to think, encouraged, etc. has solely become the school (with very few exceptions... apparently your house being one of them). Even most of the home schooled children that I've met weren't taught to think; they were just given piles of information. Bloom's taxonomy, anyone? If you are able to spend the time to teach your child ways to think around corners and encourage them to be themselves and not adhere to the status quo, then kudos to you. You are undoing all of the stigma imposed by sending your child to school in a uniform.
    Expert

Nov 19, 2006, 06:20 PM
    I think you've hit on one of the problems we as parents face today. We pass the responsibility for the raising of our kids on to strangers and caring though some may be, they cannot replace what is supposed to be taught at home, under the supevision of parents. Sadly with everyone working to chase the American dream our children get moved down the priority list and suffer as a result.

Nov 19, 2006, 09:53 PM
    In one of my trainings the instructor called it the "John Boy Walton" syndrome. He referred to the era of John Boy Walton and how he was held accountable by church, school, brothers & sisters, the neighbors, store owners, parents, grandparents, etc. He then systematically removed each one of the above thanks to busy lives, living in a different state, neighbors that barely know your name, siblings in soccer and dance, etc. Even the statistics on single parent homes (where the single parent has to work late hours to make ends meet) are staggering.

He ended up showing that the owner people holding our children accountable for even being basic human beings are the people in the schools. It was humbling at best. Now I understand that there are still those out there that make it a point to raise their children, but the numbers are dwindling. I was watching Grey's Anatomy last night (thank God for DVRs) and they had a woman who admitted that she gave more effort to her job than her child. She knew that she was good at her job but didn't feel that she was a good mother... so, she stuck with what she was good at. Now I know that it was a work of fiction... but I seriously doubt that it was far from the truth for many parents out there.
    Expert

Nov 20, 2006, 05:45 AM
    Sadly, I agree 100 percent, that is the reality. Parents can only pass on what they know, and they have to be there to do that though. I know many single households headed by singles where the kids acyually thrive, so I have no way to tell why that is for now, but it does happen.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 23, 2007, 05:38 PM
    The whole idea of school uniforms is misguided. There are students who wear outlandish outfits, gang colors, misbehave in school... School uniforms are only a whitewash on a structure that needs repair. If you want to "fix" something you must first understand the root of the problem. Misbehavior, gang colors and the like are not the root, they are the outward appearances.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

School uniforms [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to ask about school uniforms,I am taking part in a debate competition and the motion is school uniforms should be abolished.I really need help here.I need to noe the pros and the cons of school uniforms as well As opinions.PLEASE and thanks a million!

How to go to school in Paris [ 6 Answers ]

I really want to live in Paris, France... And I'm an america. I would do anything to live there, and I was wondering as a possibily to get there and stay, how could I get into a French college, like the Sorbonne. Can you tell me how to get in, the equivalency of our grades levels to there's, our...

Do you keep HM after school is over? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone keeps their Homework/Class work after the school semester is over? I do but not all of it.

About School [ 2 Answers ]

I happened to be very aggressive most of the time in school I mean just by someone looking at me it seeems to me like I got to do somethng about it because its going to hurt me and this has gotten me to be very popular in school with students and staff I mean students like me cause I won't beat up...

View more questions Search