Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shajahan_ar7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2009, 12:39 AM
    Group policy
    I am an administrator of a construction company. Now I want to create a group policy becoz I have to give separate rights to some users. So how can I create a group policy and how I implement ?
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 17, 2009, 08:20 AM

Are you using a Domain or Workgroup server?

You will need to install the Group Policy Management Console. If you are using a Workgroup, you will have to use Local Policies. This can get very messy. If you are using a Domain model, you can use domain based policies that apply to users, computers and groups of user or computers. You will need to organize your work and detail what you want to accomplish.

Microsoft has an area on their web site dedicated to Group Policy.

The site has links for planning guides and templates. Templates are available for basic user and system management, server management, network settings, media and games, WSUS, MS Office components, etc.
    shajahan_ar7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2009, 08:31 AM

I am using a domain controller (domain level). If I use domain policy that will affect all users and computers. But here permissions and restrictions only for some of the users. Is there any way to make those users as a separate OU and apply group policy ? Answer it immly
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 20, 2009, 05:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shajahan_ar7 View Post
    I am using a domain controller (domain level). If i use domain policy that will affect all users and computers. But here permissions and restrictions only for some of the users. Is there any way to make those users as a separate OU and apply group policy ? answer it immly
    You do not have to apply the policy to ALL users or ALL computers. The policy applies to members of a group. The policies are divided into two sections - Computer and User. The computer portion of the policy applies at the computer level to all users of the computer. You can add computers as members of a group and apply the policy to that group. When adding computers to a group, you must first select Computers as an object type for group membership since Computers are not select by default.

You can also change the User portion of the policy and apply these changes to a group in which user accounts are members. This policy applies only to the User profile and will be in effect no matter what computer that user logs onto.

So, to organize your policies, most of them will be either a computer policy or a user policy. It is best to name them as such. We try and keep our list of policies as organized as possible since there are about 50 of them.

And yes, you can apply the policy to an OU only by linking it to the OU. We have some computers that are set to auto-logon with a user account that is restricted to that PC only. They are Line of Business computers that operate for a specific purpose. You can also apply different policies to laptops versus desktop computers because the machine accounts are in different OU's and are named as such (ie. USPC###) and USNB###). The key is organization. Also, keep your groups for Group Policies in a separate OU than your Security or email Distribution Groups. Use a naming convention such as placing the letters GPO in all of your groups that apply to Group Policy Objects. Since we are also a mult-domain, multi-national corporation, we also use location specific names.

This is not on the subject of GPO's but it really helps with the organization part. Our logon script for our users is a single VBScript that reads user account properties and group memberships to "self customize, map drives and printers" based on that information. Our user accounts have been delegated permission to write the Description field in the computer accounts. When each user logs on, they write their Department Name and email Display Name to the computer description field (unless you are in the IT department). The logon script reads the user Active Directory account properties for the these fields to automatically keep all of the computer descriptions up to date. By sorting by this field, it makes it very easy to quickly get a list from an LDAP query for all computers in a department or to see what user is currently logged on to that computer.

If you are not working with hundreds or thousands of computers, you can keep your information up to date manually. Maintaining an accurate inventory is really important.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between organizational unit and group policy [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, Can anyone let me know what is the difference between organizational unit and group policy in 2003 server :confused:

Group Policy Object [ 1 Answers ]

Help me solve this scenario.. The CRM product has gone through an upgrade and as part of the upgrade a new Group Policy Administrative Template has been provided. How do you use the new Administrative Template to assign the settings you want to a new Group Policy Object? Thank You

Group Policy settings [ 1 Answers ]

How do I prevent all users in a site to not be able to change the desktop background and screen saver?

Difference between domain group policy and DC policy? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, may I know the difference between domain group policy and domain controller policy. If I want to restrict a user who is accessing the local drives and CD drive of a client machine and internet. How can I prevent the user/user. Thanks varughese abraham.

Local group policy [ 1 Answers ]

How can I restrict local users by using group policy. I want to create a user and allow them to use .NET and SQL Server. The local user should be a member of which group?

View more questions Search