Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandeep_koodal Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2009, 10:46 PM
    How to prevent LAN hacking?
    Hi all,
    Someone hacked my system through LAN and deleting my files through their system.
    I am totally hopeless now because of unsecured. Please
    Help me to prevent LAN hacking.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 17, 2009, 08:22 AM

Was this through your Internet connection? Is this a home or business network? Are you using a firewall and/or router?

Jul 20, 2009, 08:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckhole View Post
    Was this through your Internet connection? Is this a home or business network? Are you using a firewall and/or router?
    Im sure this is from my office network. Because my recent folders contained important documents are disappeared. One of my co worker is doing something with cmd at all time in office, don't know what he doing. How can I check my security systems and firewall ?
    I am using a firewall also.

Thanks,
    Sandeep kumar

Jul 21, 2009, 04:32 AM

If you do not have a firewall or router on your computer and it is connected directly to a DSL or Cable modem, then your computer is connected directly to the Internet with little or no security and with little or no ability to see what has been done or to stop it.

If you are using a firewall and you also have a router for your network, I would focus my efforts on who has physical access to your computer. It is likely a family member or friend, or yourself has caused the loss or misplacement of the files through a mistake. It is even possible for children or pets that play on or nearby your desk (and keyboard/mouse) to cause such a loss.

Have you performed a file search on your computer and in the deleted items "Trash Bin" to see if they have been misplaced, moved or accidentally deleted?

Jul 21, 2009, 04:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckhole View Post
    If you do not have a firewall or router on your computer and it is connected directly to a DSL or Cable modem, then your computer is connected directly to the Internet with little or no security and with little or no ability to see what has been done or to stop it.

If you are using a firewall and you also have a router for your network, I would focus my efforts on who has physical access to your computer. It is likely a family member or friend, or yourself has caused the loss or misplacement of the files through a mistake. It is even possible for children or pets that play on or nearby your desk (and keyboard/mouse) to cause such a loss.

Have you performed a file search on your computer and in the deleted items "Trash Bin" to see if they have been misplaced, moved or accidentally deleted?
    Hi chuckhole,
    Thanks for your reply. I searched the file to all the computer, but I can't see it.
    How I know my computer is on sharing or any remote access is active to the LAN?

Thanks,
    Sandeep kumar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 21, 2009, 04:50 AM

Is this a business computer connected with other computers in the business on a LAN? Or is this a home computer?

Jul 21, 2009, 04:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Is this a business computer connected with other computers in the business on a LAN? Or is this a home computer?
    Thanks. I thought is was just me. None of my questions for more information have been answered.

Jul 21, 2009, 05:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Its a business computer connected with lan and Internet
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2009, 05:42 AM
    Have you contacted your company's tech support department? They manage the company network and its users.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 21, 2009, 06:01 AM

Right, this should be brought to the attention of the network admins.

As far as someone connecting to your PC over the LAN, its certainly possible. But if you don't have any resources set to share, its much more difficult.

Jul 21, 2009, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Have you contacted your company's tech support department? They manage the company network and its users.
    Yeah! Atlast I need to do that, I thought it was a minor problem about sharing or remote access etc. But its going difficult.
    Anyway thanks for all your reply
    Sandeep kumar.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About hacking [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'd like to know how can I figure out if someone has hacked me? And if so how can I figure out if that person has stealed or copied my files? And how can I remove all the spy files?and by the way, lately ,something weird happened my old pictures which I have deleted them long term again...

About hacking [ 1 Answers ]

How do I hack ones email id?

Hacking ids [ 1 Answers ]

Hey can anybody tell me the procedure to hack ids

What is hacking [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I want to learn and want to be a ethicle hacker I am very poor I cannot pay the fee for that can you guid me where and how to learn

Hacking [ 4 Answers ]

Hi guys, I think I know c++ quite well. I wanted now to know something about hacking of which I don't know the 'h'. Could someone tell me how do I get started? Does knowing c++ well help to be a good hacker? How much is knowing unix releavent?

View more questions Search