Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbcal7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 01:18 PM
    Sewage smell in bathroom
    I recently hired someone to tile my bathroom floors. They ripped out the toilet, tiled, and then resealed the toilet. Now there is a sewage smell that has been lingering for the past few weeks. The guy came and re-sealed the toilet- no luck. There have also been 3 other plumbers that have come to check it out, but have not had any luck locating the source of the smell.

I think it's ridiculous how no one can figure out where the smell is coming from. Help please?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 17, 2006, 02:24 PM
    Did any of the plumbers pull and reset the toilet? I don't mean take the toilet pull it and then put it back the same way. I mean to double seal the toilet if the tile lifted the bowl off the flange leaving a gap that could allow sewer gas to escape. It's entirely possible for the wax seal to let sewer gas escape and not water. It's much harder to contain air then it is water. My vote goes with the toilet. Regards, Tom
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Oct 18, 2006, 01:19 AM
    Indeed, try getting one of those oversized wax rings from Home Depot, or get two regular rings and stack 'em. Make sure to bevel the wax outward though, or it may expand inward and block the pipe.

Moishe
    jbcal7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2006, 03:52 AM
    Thank you for your help. According to my property manager (I live out of state from my rental property), the toilet was pulled by 3 separate people and re-sealed. The smell, however, is still around and the tenant has requested to break her lease. I don't blame her. Can you tell me what you mean by flange? Thanks much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell from basement bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

We bought our house a year ago. The basement was already finshed. In the basement bathroom there is a drain in the floor that would give off a sulphur smell. We would dump water down the drain every other day but the smell really never went completely away. About a month ago I noticed a sewage ...

Sewage smell in bathroom - feels like we've tried everything [ 2 Answers ]

I've read through several of the posts on this site and have done numerous searches across the Internet. So far, no luck... About a week ago we noticed a strong sewage smell coming from the toilet in our powder room. After cleaning the bowl with bleach (thinking it was bacteria), the smell was...

Sewage smell in bathroom [ 9 Answers ]

:eek: Our main bathroom off the master bedroom has a sewage smell coming from the shower. The drain is not clogged, the toilet and sink are fine. No smell from the sink or toilet, seems to be from the shower only. Our house is on septic system and drainfield. No soggy grass around the drainfield...

Sewage smell in bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

We have one bathroom in our house used by 4 people. Every once in a while, there is a strong sewage smell. It is intermittent, there is no certain time that it is present. I cannot pinpoint it to a certain drain or area in the bathroom. When the heat comes on, it is VERY strong when it is present...

Sewage Smell from Bathroom? (Maybe floor?) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, The building I live in is a two story, stick built duplex supported with steel under frame resting on concrete pilings. Due to the area I live in we have our water and sewage trucked in and out every two days. The water tank is indoors and the sewage take is buried beneath...

View more questions Search