Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanVoe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 11:34 AM
    Non-paying roommate
    I am from MN as well as one of my other roommates. They non-paying person is from WA. We all signed a lease last year to rent a house from our current landlords. The house we are renting is in ND. Both me and my roommate as well as my landlords received letter today informing us that the third person is not going to pay rent for the remainder of the lease. I guess I have a few questions. First off, is there anyway that we can get him to pay the remainder of the year? And if someone moves out are they responsible for finding a new person to take their spot on the lease or is it our responsibility? Thanks for the help.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2006, 11:57 AM
    Hello Dan:

You are partners (co-renters) with your roommates. If you decided that you would replace yourself if you moved out, then that's between you. There is no roommate law, only landlord/tenant law.

In any event, he is responsible for his share. If he doesn't pay, sue him. I'm assuming he's moved.

excon
    DanVoe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 04:11 PM
    If I were to sue him, could I sue him for the rent he will owe or just what he has not paid? We are on the lease until may. We have been trying to get him replaced by finding a new roommate and the soonest we could get someone is in January. So would I be able to get the money for up to that point or will I have to sue him after the whole lease situation is over with?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2006, 05:34 PM
    Hello again,

You cannot recover in court, that which you have not lost (yet).

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate not paying rent, but leaving in 3 weeks. [ 3 Answers ]

My roommate is moving out oct 26, 2006 - he is not on the lease, I am, and we have a verbal agreement.. he has been OK up to this point - last month he paid 1/2 his rent and this month he has still not paid. What I am asking is, if he does not pay this months rent, and he is out in 3 weeks...

Roommate vs. Roommate evicitions ? [ 13 Answers ]

I am on a lease to rent a room. I found another person to rent the other room. I have lived at this house for 3 years. He has lived here for two months. I want him out because he is a nuisance. My rights as a tenant does not specifically state me as a Principle Tenant, but I've been here the...

X renigging on paying [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter's father ( my X) committed to a place for her wedding and all the trimmings,now he is renigging on paying all the expenses for what he promised her. HE HAS THE MONEY! He says he is going to send a certain amount of money( not nearly enough) to her sister and expects her to pay the...

I am a new roommate and need help [ 5 Answers ]

My son and I moved from another state to TN. My boyfriend moved to TN. 2 months prior to us coming here. He had moved in with his roommate/tenant, which they have been friends for many years. The lease is in the roommate/tenant name. The roommate/tenant offered my son and I to come stay with them...

Roommate needs to go [ 3 Answers ]

I have a roommate that has worn out his welcome with both myself and the landlord.I want him gone yesterday.We have lived in the house for three months (He moved in 15 days after me) And he has paid only one month rent.I live in Washington state and can't get anyone to give me some advice on how to...

View more questions Search