Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedy009 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jul 16, 2009, 12:06 AM
    8 yr relationship/dumped/6 months later ex wants me back, after rebound.
    Hey, Newbie here,

Ill try to keep this short...

Met in high school, both lost virginity together. We are both 24. Our relationship was rocky near the end. We fought a lot over small things. Was my first real relationship so maybe I didn't know how to deal with problems well. We were always faithful and we loved each other more than anything... Her love grew faster then mine, but I knew I still loved her. We both wanted a future together.

We were both stubborn and always wanted our way. Our last argument was stupid but blew up big time. I ignored her while she was crying because I was dealing with my own feelings.

She decided we had enough and wanted to break up for good. For the next 1.5 months I desperately tried to talk her out of it. I suddenly stopped (used NC) because she was saying hurtful things purposely to push me away. I felt like dying. 3.5 months in, she texts me "I miss you" at 3am. Week later I respond and said "dont drunk dial me please, It hurts." We talk for abit and she says that she misses me but still think that we should continue separated. I said "don't contact me unless you know you want to be with me." Back to NC...

I was a complete wreck up until about 4.5 months into it (mainly because my birthday, valentines day and our anniversary was not spent with her). I have not been with anyone else, just single and adjusting with friends. Then at 6 months mark (yesterday), she tells me she made a huge mistake letting me go. She wants me back but tells me that she was in a rebound relationship while we were apart. She had sex with another guy. I was shocked more than mad. She promises me that she will never let me go again and that she has learned a lot about herself. She WANTS to marry me and start a family with me, but the fact that I know that she slept with another dude is really clouding my judgment. Its hard right now to forgive her because its so fresh.

What should I do? I still love her but don't trust her right now. What I have waited for for so long has finally come, but with baggage. Should I go explore with someone else before I commit to her again so I don't regret it later in life? I don't know what to do... she is basically waiting for my answer now... Opinions/questions/answers please...

Thanks for reading...
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 12:47 AM
    You're both 24, and it was your first real relationship. You broke up because things weren't going well. It's been 6 months and you've survived being separated from her - it didn't kill you and in fact, you were getting better.

Then, bang! Her rebound relationship didn't work out and she wants you back. Not only does she want you back but she wants to do happy families and babies with you.

I'd give it a miss if I were you. You're still young and have so much to do and see, so many more people to meet. Yea, it's great that she's come crawling back, but hey, do you really want to do the marriage and babies thing right now? I mean, you have a choice!

You haven't really known anyone else but her - I suggest that you'll be a lot happier and better equipped to handle any future marriage and children if you get some life experience now. Otherwise, you'll always be wondering what else is out there.

Jul 16, 2009, 12:59 AM

Thanks for your input.

I totally agree that maybe I should see other people and see what happens. I'm so conflicted because I honestly do love her. I think I just need some meaningless sex to get it out of my system before I commit to her again. Does that sound horrible? I don't know anymore...

Thanks.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 01:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy009 View Post
    Thanks for your input.

I totally agree that maybe I should see other people and see what happens. I'm so conflicted because I honestly do love her. I think I just need some meaningless sex to get it out of my system before I commit to her again. Does that sound horrible? I dunno anymore...

thanks.
    I wouldn't go for the meaningless/revenge sex, honestly, that's all it is. Go out and get a life. You've been with her for 8 years and you have nothing else to compare with - how can you make a decision, even about love?
    ajGambino Posts: 317, Reputation: 97

Jul 16, 2009, 03:14 AM

She dumped your @ss, said hurtful things to you when you tried to get close to her, picked up a rebound and slept with this guy, and is now running back to you because the rebound (like all rebounds) didn't work out for her...

You want to go back to that?

First of all, you cannot drop a relationship and quickly pick up another. Look at what happened to her and now she's running back to her comfort zone and the place where she knows whe will be and feel welcome. Do not give her that luxury. She just got out of a relationship and is headed straight for you, to void the heartache and pain of being alone.

I'd say to continue NC and give yourself time to cope, even though it's been 6 months, her trying to come back into your life is a bit of a shock. Even if you are ready, she is not. She is an emotional wreck right now and it will only hurt you in time.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 04:38 AM

Why would you want to go back? Sure she was your first piece of tail, but come on, no one deserves to be treated like that. She is playing a game, and playing it very well.

Also, don't go have meaningless sex, it really isn't an attractive trait to know someone has been running around like a rabbit
    busterite Posts: 156, Reputation: 30

Jul 16, 2009, 10:25 AM

Will you ever be able to trust her again? Do you really want to spend the rest of your life wondering whether she will run away from you again? Will you be able to forget all you have bee through and go back to how things were before? I mean she really has shown you a side of her character that you probably never thought you would see.

What if her next rebound actually suits her and doesn't want to come back to you? What happens then? The first time round it came out of nowhere and you were not prepared but if this happens again then you won't just have her to blame but yourself as well. Im just saying you need to think about all this carefully before deciding. Good luck!
    jmw0713 Posts: 1,012, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 10:59 AM

Meaningless sex is not the answer. It only helps briefly and leaves you with all sorts of worry and questions if things "go wrong". Also, I don't know about you, but I felt like a jerk afterward when I did that. So... :o

After experiencing that, I'd rather have no sex at all than meanigless sex with someone I don't know. There is too much to worry about with all of that. That is the last thing you need!

Jul 16, 2009, 11:50 AM

Thanks for your posts everyone.

Im am getting conflicting answers from another forum. Other people are saying to just forgive her if you really love her. But everyone here seems to say forget her...

Im so damn confused... Im just going to take my time and see what happens...

Jul 16, 2009, 11:57 AM

Oh and another thing. During the rebound she said all that she could think about was me. She honestly did try to move on but deep down inside it didn't feel right to her. That she really was still in love with me. The guy was "perfect" she says, but she wanted me...

She is not the type to lie at all... so I don't know... :(
    jmooney527 Posts: 200, Reputation: 83

Jul 16, 2009, 12:13 PM
    I think since you are still confused and you are conflicted, that you need to take more time to yourself before any decision can be made. You need to have a clear head and heart before you decide whether you want to get back together with her.

And my opinion is that most people who post on this forum have terrific insight and give the best advice out there. In the end it is your decision on what you will do, but we can only make you THINK.

I think your confusion speaks in volumes. Just because she wants you back doesn't mean anything... she still LEFT you to begin with! Like others have said, who's to say she won't do it again?

Take the time to yourself to find clarity... without her.
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 12:16 PM

We practice tough love over on this forum.. LOL!

It's your choice whether to take her back or not. It's time to reflect back and view the relationship for what it really was and see if it is worth going for round 2 or not.

I will tell you one thing, 6 months is not enough time for a person to change. It takes a lot longer than that to "change". From what it looks like, her relationship with this guy didn't work. She is running back to you, because she knows you still love her.

You are playing second fiddle my man, because I guarantee, if her and this other guy worked out, she would be nearly as "wanting" of you as she seems to be now. It didn't work and she is scared to be alone. She needs to learn that with choices come trade offs and consequences.

I don't think enough time has passed for either of you to have learned anything about yourselves.

Don't be her security blanket, she needs to know what its like to live out in the cold... just like how she left you when she was on a fling with that other guy.

Take more time. Nothing has changed. You have not learned how to communicate better with each other. You will just do a repeat performance the next time another fight ensue between you both.

Jul 16, 2009, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmooney527 View Post
    I think your confusion speaks in volumes. Just because she wants you back doesn't mean anything... she still LEFT you to begin with! Like others have said, who's to say she won't do it again?
    I totally understand why she left though. She didn't leave just to find another man. Its because we started having a lot of problems lately, and I couldn't be there for her emotionally. She also agrees that she wasn't perfect either...
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

Jul 16, 2009, 12:24 PM

What she did while you were apart is not really the main thing here. You speak of trust? Is that related to her having a relationship after you or that she may leave you again and behave the same way?

While her actions are not ideal post break-up it almost sounds as if she cheated on you, which she did not.

As for going out and having sex, that's really not going to do much of anything. Would you be doing it to get back at her? Again, it almost sounds as if you were suggesting you'd go out and do to her what you think she did to you. How doesthat make you any better than her (seeing as how you do not approve of what she did). Also, you both seem to think you'll be there when the other wants, her flip-flopping and you suggesting a fling before making a decision.

I know it must sting like heck to know she was with someone else, it would hurt anyone. However, she did what a lot of people do, if you see a future with her than that is your decision to try and make things work. It isnot a question of forgiveness, she really did not do anything that would require that.

Sit down and think about this long and hard. Focus on the real issue here, not what might makeyou happy in the short term. If you can get past her relationship with this other guy than perhaps this can go somewhere if your committed to fixing what caused the relationship to break down in the first place. If you can't get it out of your head, this problem you speak of now will be like a swedish massage compared to what you'll face in the future.

Jul 16, 2009, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmw0713 View Post
    We practice tough love over on this forum..LOL!

It's your choice whether to take her back or not. It's time to reflect back and view the relationship for what it really was and see if it is worth going for round 2 or not.

I will tell you one thing, 6 months is not enough time for a person to change. It takes a lot longer than that to "change". From what it looks like, her relationship with this guy didn't work. She is running back to you, because she knows you still love her.

You are playing second fiddle my man, because I guarantee, if her and this other guy worked out, she would be nearly as "wanting" of you as she seems to be now. It didn't work and she is scared to be alone. She needs to learn that with choices come trade offs and consequences.

I don't think enough time has passed for either of you to have learned anything about yourselves.

Don't be her security blanket, she needs to know what its like to live out in the cold....just like how she left you when she was on a fling with that other guy.

Take more time. Nothing has changed. You have not learned how to communicate better with each other. You will just do a repeat performance the next time another fight ensue between you both.
    She says that this guy was sooooo "perfect" but she just couldn't commit to him because she was still in love with me... She is a really sweet person and anyone would be lucky to be with her...

I agree that maybe there hasn't been enough time apart to really change but I have never heard her say out loud that she will never leave me again... FRIGGG... relationships...

In a way I do want to leave her out in the cold but, I REALLY do love her, even if she is my first love...

Jul 16, 2009, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BMI View Post
    What she did while you were apart is not really the main thing here. You speak of trust? Is that related to her having a relationship after you or that she may leave you again and behave the same way?

As for going out and having sex, that's really not going to do much of anything. Would you be doing it to get back at her? Again, it almost sounds as if you were suggesting you'd go out and do to her what you think she did to you. How doesthat make you any better than her (seeing as how you do not approve of what she did). Also, you both seem to think you'll be there when the other wants, her flip-flopping and you suggesting a fling before making a decision.

Sit down and think about this long and hard. Focus on the real issue here, not what might makeyou happy in the short term. If you can get past her relationship with this other guy than perhaps this can go somewhere if your comitted to fixing what caused the relationship to break down in the first place. If you can't get it out of your head, this problem you speak of now will be like a swedish massage compared to what you'll face in the future.
    Im just scared that when things get rough again, and there is a guarantee about that, nothing is perfect, that she might just run out again. That is the main thing. I will admit that we both tried to work on the relationship for a longtime and maybe she couldn't handle it enough.

The only reason why Im saying for meto go out and have sex or see what else is out there is because once I get back with this girl, that's it. We are going to be together forever, and I don't want to regret missing out on what I could have experienced since she got to experience life a little. She Is going back in the relationship with experience and Im just going back in with nothing really. I don't want to have to urge to cheat on her in the future... its sad I know, but I'm only human, and she did smash my heart...
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 12:51 PM

First loves are always the hardest ones to let go of. I just got out of that myself not too long ago.

You will always remember her and love her. However, you cannot compromise you own self worth in order to attempt to get something back that will never be the same again.

Life works in strange ways. People come in to our lives, just as easily as they leave. Sometimes, people come back in our lives when everything has changed and you both are different people. That doesn't usually happen until good amount of time has passed. No matter how much time has passed, you always remember your first love. They had the biggest impact on your life... that is why it is SO difficult to let go.

It's tragic events like this where you actually grow, learn, and become the person you are.

You have gained a TON of experience and knowledge from this and in turn will learn to apply these things you learned in future relationships you will have with others.

That, my friend, is the hidden blessing we all receive when we experience our first heartbreak.
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

Jul 16, 2009, 12:58 PM

Sorry Speedy, but going out to have sex in order to get it out of your system or "get in" on what your missing is in stark contrast to saying you love this girl. Basically your saying I want to let loose a bit before I commit to the love of my life.

Also, even if you were able to go out and "get it", it's not something that goes by one and done. You'll be tempted in the future no matter what you do.

Women my friend, they do not stop looking great and driving us mad... EVER!!
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 01:03 PM

Man, I went back to my first "love" so many times, after she cheated on me, would take "breaks" the same time we had breaks from school so she could hook up without any guilt and each time I thought "she changed" and "this is true love" not even close.

Of course she is going to tell you EVERYTHING you want to hear, why would she tell you this "I'm only back because this is familiar and when things get hard again I'm going to spread my legs for another bloke" when she wants to get back with you?

Jul 16, 2009, 01:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmw0713 View Post
    First loves are always the hardest ones to let go of. I just got out of that myself not too long ago.

You will always remember her and love her. However, you cannot compromise you own self worth in order to attempt to get something back that will never be the same again.

Life works in strange ways. People come in to our lives, just as easily as they leave. Sometimes, people come back in our lives when everything has changed and you both are different people. That doesn't usually happen until good amount of time has passed. No matter how much time has passed, you always remember your first love. They had the biggest impact on your life....that is why it is SO difficult to let go.

It's tragic events like this where you actually grow, learn, and become the person you are.

You have gained a TON of experience and knowledge from this and in turn will learn to apply these things you learned in future relationships you will have with others.

That, my friend, is the hidden blessing we all receive when we experience our first heartbreak.
    I agree with everything you said. I want to see if there is something better out there for me, even though I still love my ex... This is one decision that will affect the rest of my life so I'm very cautious with me actions right now...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dumped for another or rebound? [ 297 Answers ]

I'm 24 and was dating my first serious girlfriend for 7 months. In the beginning I got cold feet and broke up with her a couple of times because she seemed so sure I was the one, when I was just finding my way and feeling new emotions. As time grew on, I realised I did feel the same way and fell...

Just got dumped in rebound relationship [ 17 Answers ]

Although I'm over 40 and "should have known better" - I didn't. I was friends for some time ( 2 years) with a man who eventually ends up in the process of a divorce. He asked for the divorce and was having a tough time financially due t court orders and a move to another state - a duaghter...

Dumped after one months worth of dating, but I want to get back together [ 11 Answers ]

I understand from reading a few of the posts on this website that the key thing to do is to absolutely have no contact. However, I'm head over heels for this girl. She broke up with me after a month of dating, saying that she didn't think we "romantically clicked," though we seemed to hit it...

View more questions Search