Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jim_McGinness Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2009, 08:53 PM
    How are philosophical controversies ever extinguished? Can you offer any examples?
    In a famous remark, A. N. Whitehead said that the development of Western philosophy is a series of footnotes to Plato.

In some fields of study, topics that were once controversies eventually become settled. I'm thinking of what happens generally in science, history, and law. That's not to say that all controversies are settled in these fields, but one way or another, they build up a body of consensus or precedent which is not continually rehashed, even if there is always a lively set of new controversies and unsettled questions.

So do you consider it a property of philosophical questions that they cannot be settled?

Does progress in philosophy consist in finding new questions that can't be settled or resolved?

Is there such a thing as progress in philosophy?
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jul 16, 2009, 05:39 AM
    Some very good questions... Philosophy has progressed very slowly, but I think it has progressed. The empirical philosophers, especially Hume improved on the Rationalists,while Kant improved on Hume. Modern philosophy is largely footnotes to Hume and Kant. This is pretty sad really considering how long they have been dead.

Why hasn't there been another Hume, Kant or Plato? The answer I think is science. Philosophy now progress through discoveries and theories of physicists. The new philosophers are cosmologists who come up with ideas such as "String Theory" and "Super String Theory" This leaves a lot of people out in the cold because the mathematics is so complicated. But the mathematics is necessary in order to come up with the philosophy.

In this modern age I think philosophy has a place as an art form. In other words, it can provide us with answers on some of the most important questions such as,"How we can better relate to other people?" or "How can I be a better person?"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 examples [ 2 Answers ]

What are 3 examples that casey anthony keep talking in past tense about her daughter Caylee

Water heater pilot light gets extinguished by main burner ignition. [ 1 Answers ]

Problem: Water heater pilot light gets blown out by main burner when it ignites. Background: About eight or nine days ago I installed a new Rheem LP gas fired water heater. I had to convert (change / install) the main burner jet and pilot light orifice to burn LP gas as well as change the...

Examples of fallacies [ 2 Answers ]

What are examples of a fallacy from a newspaper editorial and an opinion magazine?

Case Law Examples [ 1 Answers ]

I am working on a University assignment and I would like to have as many examples as possible of "Shareholders vs Directors" past cases. I thank in advance all those who can help me.

View more questions Search