Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scottbess Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 08:55 AM
    Need heat in the basement
    Got a quick question about heating our basement. We currently have no registers in the basement but do have the ducting for the rest of the house in running through the ceiling of the basement.

Would it be possible (or advisable) to just cut a couple of holes in the ductwork and screw in a couple of registers? We have no plans to finish the basement, but would like some heat there this winter as we use it for projects, etc.

Thanks for the help!

Scott
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2006, 09:21 AM
    No big deal. Use the same small ones as in your upsrtairs that you can open and close. Drill holes and screw them in place.

Consider tightening up the basement. Caulk the joints between the foundation and plate, and the plate and band joist, the band joist and floor above, and around all the pipes and wires. That includes ones going up through the floor. Warm, moist air can follow them clear up to the attic.
    scottbess Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    No big deal. Use the same small ones as in your upsrtairs that you can open and close. Drill holes and screw them in place.

Consider tightening up the basement. Caulk the joints between the foundation and plate, and the plate and band joist, the band joist and floor above, and around all the pipes and wires. That includes ones going up through the floor. Warm, moist air can follow them clear up to the attic.

Thanks for the quick response!

So... what's the best method for cutting the register holes in the existing ductwork? I'm assuming I just drill a hole big enough to get some snips going and go from there, right?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2006, 06:39 PM
    Yeah, or a hole saw.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whalen Heat Pump - no heat! [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I live in a condo and have a Whalen Heat Pump. I changed the thermostat to a Noma digital programmable model (model # 52-255808) in the summer time. The A/C works well and the fan works well, but I did not test for heat as it was summer when I installed it. Well, now that the weather is...

Heat [ 5 Answers ]

Physical Science student Estella uses an electric tea kettle to disinfect her apartment freezer with steam made from frost ice. She stuffs 2.0kg of frost ice into her kettle. The ice has an initial temperature of -20 degrees celsius. The specific heat of ice is=2100J/kg degrees celsius. The...

Changing from gas heat to electric heat [ 3 Answers ]

How do you change from Apollo gas heating system to electric heating system?

Heat won't come on. [ 2 Answers ]

Help. My heat downstairs won't come on. It is a heat pump. What can I try to fix, before I call a repair guy. I have electric heat upstairs and it's fine. I'm freezing.

Heat [ 2 Answers ]

Why do metal surfaces feel cool to the touch even when they are at the same temperature as their surrounding??

View more questions Search