Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 15, 2009, 04:05 PM
    Jet ski impeller
    I know this is a sight for cycles, but hope you can help me out.

I just bought a couple used jet skis and the impellers are gouged up pretty bad. Ive been told that you can file the edges until they are smooth again, and there is a chance it will cure the no go problem. Is this true. Is it worth filing the impeller to at least see if it makes a difference? I bought these skis dirt cheap knowing the impellers were in need of replacement, but would rather not spend the extra dough on the impellers if I don't have to. Any experience and advice with this would be greatly appreciated.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 09:51 PM

Hi My girls daddy long time no see.
    How bad are the impellers to begin with?
    The danger is the balance on the impeller and the vibration on the shaft. The No go won't be solved much or little at all. The impeller is not like a boat propeller. The power impellers generates is also created by the close clearance in the housing. Not unlike a get engine. A regular impeller pump that gets worn and looses lift/pressure is because of those clearance not there. Also the micro/mini caveatting rough impellers make causing air bubbles/pockets and the impeller slips and spins pushing nothing. I would get them replaced and check to see if the shaft/bearings are good. Long term use can create havoc here. On a side Note If you ever need to check for spark, cover a tarp over yourself and the machine to check it. They have such a tiny spark and can't be seen in daylight. Been there done it..

What make and CC are they. I have manuals for a couple of models
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 16, 2009, 03:29 PM

Thanks 21 Boat. I kind of figured I was going to have to get knew ones, was just hoping I would have a chance otherwise.

One is a 1990 yamaha waverunner 500.
    The other is a 1993 arctic cat tigershark 640.

I haven't pulled the impellers yet, but they look pretty beat up from what I can see with them inplace. How do I check the shaft bearing, just make sure there is zero play up down side to side? Thanks again for the info. I won't be getting around to tearing into these for a week or two. Only reason I even bought them was because I got them both skis and one single trailer for $450. Figured I could maybe dump a few hundred into each one and still be ahead. Ive already been offered $250 for the trailer alone. They do both run. Not sure how well, as I haven't had them in water yet, so only ran them for a few seconds. Reason I know they don't go is the person I bought them from was really up front and seemed honest, he told me they ran them in a lot of sand and that he figured the no go was from shot impellers. Hope its as simple as that.

Thanks again, Lee.
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 11:47 PM

so only ran them for a few seconds. Reason I know they don't go is the person I bought them from was really up front and seemed honest, he told me they ran
    Don't have my manual handy and they are for different, machines

I doubt there is much tolerance for wiggle at all. I do Know that and out drive on a boat will have some wiggle but that has to be in certain tolerance.

The starting of the machines without water is a big no no. Under the seat should be a bypass hose hook up to get water to water pump to work so you can run them on the trailer in the driveway.
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 20, 2009, 03:51 PM

Ok, so here's what I've found so far. Pulled the impeller on the yamaha, there was a rock wedged in the impeller, took it out and the machine does great on the water. Then I tore into the artic cat. Impeller looks good. Found that the coupler off the engine had stripped threads. Threads on crank shaft are good. So I have the coupler on order. Things are looking pretty good as of now. We ran about 15 gallons through the yamaha, had a blast. Hope the coupler takes care of the tigershark. Fingers crossed. Thanks again for the info.
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 07:02 PM

there was a rock wedged in the impeller,
    There was a rock wedged in the impeller, took it out and the machine does great
    Great... One thing I'm a bit confused on is how bad were there impellers? Are there any chunks out of them? It may seem to run great and its hard to feel the mini vibrations the impeller can produce unless damaged beyond repair. A boat propeller prop has Hash marks stamped on the side to show how many times it was reconditioned and balanced. 3 is the tops until its considered metal fatigued.

Just wondering the shape of the impellers...

impellers are gouged up pretty bad. Ive been told that you can file the edges until they are smooth again
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 21, 2009, 03:09 PM

It really didn't look to bad. No large gouges. I did do a little filing by hand on the edges, just to smooth it up. The rock came out with no force at all, so I guess it wasn't really wedged in there. It didn't appear to have bent the blades at all. Im still thinking about getting a new impeller for the yamaha(can get it for $130 online straight from yamaha). As I'm sure it would improve the performance. I also am thinking about rebuilding the carb, just because it sat for a year or two with gas in it.

Other than that, do you think I'm OK running it as is, or can I cause damage if the impeller is in worse shape than I think?
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 09:57 PM

I remember I had to take my Daughter to a boat safety course to to get her License to run the wave runner. At that time the Internet was offering course certificates but Coast Guard/marine police would,t accept them.

It sounds like you are OK there. Buy a manual for both machines. It can save you a lot of headaches later. Also not sure if you are running gas with Ethanol in it. If so get the gas treatment from the marine store. "Sea Foam" products Is what I have been using.
    viclondon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2010, 04:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    It really didnt look to bad. No large gouges. I did do a little filing by hand on the edges, just to smooth it up. The rock came out with no force at all, so i guess it wasnt really wedged in there. It didnt appear to have bent the blades at all. Im still thinking about getting a new impeller for the yamaha(can get it for $130 online straight from yamaha). As im sure it would improve the performance. I also am thinking about rebuilding the carb, just because it sat for a year or two with gas in it.

Other than that, do you think im ok running it as is, or can i cause damage if the impeller is in worse shape than i think?
    Hi there I don't suppose you could let me know the web address to get an imppeller could you. Because I have the same problem.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2010, 12:26 PM

RIVA Online Original Parts Finder
    I would try the above Link, they have Exploded views for Motorcycles and suspect they the have the same for yours

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is Difference between impeller and propeller? [ 6 Answers ]

What is Difference between impeller and propeller?

What is difference between propeller and impeller [ 1 Answers ]

What is difference between propeller and impeller

Difference between impeller and propeller [ 1 Answers ]

Difference between impeller and propeller

Impeller for centrifigul pump [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a WelBilt pump from Northern Tool and I need a source for a replacement impeller, Northern Tool was no help. The pump is a series M INOX partial model number M99?? s/n 176602. George

Propeller And Impeller [ 1 Answers ]

What is the basic difference between propeller and impeller?:confused:

View more questions Search