Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dtruch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2009, 11:06 AM
    Time clocks
    Is it legal for a supervisor to punch an employees timecard at the end of day if the employee forgets to do so?
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 11:12 AM

Where are you?
    Different states have different regulations regarding these things.
    Also, what type of company is this? A privately owned business, a stocked company (can't think of the term right now... xP), unioned?
    All of these things can change the outcome of the answer (as far as I know, depending on where you are).
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 11:43 AM

Helpinhere, could circumstance effect it too? I'm in CA and anytime me or one of my coworkers forgets to clock in or out we just let a manager know and they go into the computer and fix it for us. I've always assumed it was legal. So I would have thought the answer to dtruch's answer was "yes." but maybe its different if the employee doesn't say anything?
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 11:49 AM

I also live in CA. I know at WalMart, you aren't allowed to do that. However, if the timeclock (what they call it... sounds kind of stupid to me) has a line, or it's busted, or etc. you have to go to a manager, and they do it all manually (checking in or out).
    There's more I could go into, but a lot of it is WalMart specific, xD

I know that privately owned businesses, unless there is some state/local law against it, can do the time however they want, and it is up to the owner(s) to take action if anything should occur. Just "letting a manager know" may not always work, because, depending on the regulations put into place, the law/policy may not allow that.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 11:59 AM

I do work for a privately owned company. I just re-read the time clock page in our handbook. It says to let a manager know if we ever need to edit our time card for any reason. So I guess that's what makes it legal for us

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer system clocks? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am having problems with my computer. Whenever I take the plug out and put it back in, it turns on automatically and tells me there has been an error and that my system clock needs to be reset. So I go through all the set up and change the date and time so it is correct. And its fine... until...

Antique Collections, Gun Collections, Paperweight, Clocks, Scientific Instruments, [ 8 Answers ]

Background: My Father was an incredible man who truly made an indelible mark on History. He had a very successful career as a mechanical engineer. Dads career took him all over the world. In his travels throughout the years, he managed to accumulated a small fortune in Antiques and...

Garrard clocks made in england [ 2 Answers ]

I have got an english Garrard made triple chiming clock apparently quite rare can someone tell me what period was madeand how rare it is. Thanks

Antique clocks [ 6 Answers ]

hello I have a waterbury flamingo clock would like to know age and value if possible.:)

AskMeHelpDesk Clocks are slow [ 6 Answers ]

According to Greenwhich, http://wwp.greenwich2000.com/ , the official time is listed there, updated every second. However, when compared to the clocks at AskMeHelpDesk, I notice that AskMeHelpDesk's clocks are 6 minutes slow.

View more questions Search