Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 08:20 AM
    Firewall pop up
    I got on my computer last night and I have this firewall pop up that will not go away that says the xp Deluxe Protector has detected that somebody is transferring my private data via internet. I can't get rid of it and when I click on whether I want to block the activity or block the attack Immediately I get a window (HP deskjet 390 ) and it says I need to download something that costs money and asks for my Visa account.

OBVIOUSLY... I don't know what I am doing.. or if this is real... or what?? But even as I type this the warning keeps popping up. Most of them I can't even click off... I just put them to the bottom of the screen. HELP if you can.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 15, 2009, 08:25 AM
    Right then you have some "nice" spyware there.
    XP Deluxe protector is BOGUS panicware that makes you think there's a problem when there isn't.

Here's how to get rid of it: XP Deluxe Protector - how to remove

Also run Malwarebytes through your system to ensure it's clean: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Jul 15, 2009, 08:41 AM

That sounds like a scam to me, possibly perpetrated through some sort of malicious software. Any unexpected pop-up that wants personal or financial information (birth dates, mother's maiden name, passwords, account #s, SSN etc) should be suspect.

For a free online scan:

Trend Micro HouseCall - Free Online Virus and Spyware Scan - Trend Micro USA

Retailers like office supply chain stores often offer inexpensive computer anti-virus.security software that include media (CDs or flash drives) that can be used to boot the computer. Sometimes those bootable media are useful to bypass system files on the hard disk that some malicious software corrupts. Sometimes those system files are corrupted in a way that obstructs running legitimate security software.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 08:57 AM

Thanks guys... appreciate your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best firewall [ 7 Answers ]

I just want your suggistion that which is the best firewall I can use. Thanks in advance

How to configure firewall [ 1 Answers ]

How to configure firewall

Windows firewall [ 1 Answers ]

In my windows firewall under exceptions, I have 6 windows checked all for media connect. Is this OK or should I uncheck them? While I'm at this question concerning windows firewall what would happen if I were to uncheck all the boxes under exceptions? Thanks very much Do you need to update your...

Firewall block [ 2 Answers ]

Can I block a computer user from accessing a specific website if I have a firewall conrol panel?

Firewall gav/ips tz 170 unr [ 2 Answers ]

Hi There, I just want to ask that in our office they are going to put a firewall "gav/ips tz 170 unr" & "sonic wall 150" Will you please tell that, They can stop our Browsing or Yahoo, Msn Messengers? If yes then how I can get access over that. Thank & Regards

View more questions Search