Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2006, 04:35 AM
    Info: Free Anti-Virus
    According to some recent research by a group called "Get Safe Online", a whopping 17% of people do not have a virus scanner on their PC. 23% people also do not have a firewall (Source). These stats did amaze me when I first saw them. In today's society where major virus outbreaks hit the main news headlines alongside war, natrual disasters and presidential elections there is still such a large amount of people not using some kind of basic protection. Setting up a virus scanner is quick, easy and you can get very good virus scanners for FREE. Brlow is a link to a review of three of the best virus scanners out there.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Stop-...ee-37956.shtml
    Yes Need, I did see this on Digg!

It's a case of just downloading one of these 3 solutions, installing and let it do it's thing in the background. You won't have to do any tricky setup. The most advanced thing you may have to do is to copy a string of text from an email into a popup the program loads on the first startup.

So if there is anyone out there without a virus scanner please, PLEASE get yourself a virus scanner. Without one you are exposing yourself to so much possible trouble. Just to scare you here are some things a virus/trojan could do to your PC:
    • Delete all your work, family photos etc.
    • Send any personal information such as credit card details to the virus creator.
    • Take control over your PC to perform illegal actions (hacking, spam etc.)
    If anyone has anyone questions/points, post a reply. All the members here will be glad to answer any questions you have.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2006, 04:52 AM
    Excellent advice, LT.

I've been using AVG Free now for several months... even on my office computer. It seems to work just as well as the expensive and resource hogging Norton AntiVirus.
    dzung huynh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 06:48 PM
    Thanks a lot.. my computer now is so very good...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AVG Anti-Virus Scan Question [ 3 Answers ]

I have AVG Anti-Virus free edition. When I run a full system scan manually, the test comes back complete with no virus found and no errors. However, when I schedule a test to run automatically at a specific time, the result always comes back with 13 viruses found. Specifically, various trojan...

AVG Anti Virus getting erros [ 2 Answers ]

?? Hi Using Winxp Home I can install the free version (not the trial) the actual free version of AVG anti virus, the install is OK When I try to open it and use it I get a "Missing DLL SHELL" error AVG will not help because I am using the "free" version Any ideas? Have uninstalled and...

Anti-Virus download problems [ 2 Answers ]

My wife has an older Dell PC with Windows98SE and has been unable to download any of the free anti-virus or anti-spyware programs (which I have downloaded on my newer WinXP PC). When attempting to download nothing happens - no error message, etc. Any help will be appreciated. Jlh

Norton Anti Virus Protection [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone use this, if so, I need help. I know that with window updates, you need to download all critical updates. I assumed the same to be true with this program. Guys I normally use the computer in my office, that is maintained by a computer department. So I am learning the hard way. As...

Anti virus disable, is is a virus? [ 1 Answers ]

I was running AVG atni-virus, and it just stopped working... it would start to scan then completely close out, so I deleted it off my computer and re installed it I had the same problem so I got norton and I had the same problem.  so I'm guessing I have something on my computer that's turning them...

View more questions Search