Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 06:42 PM
    SR22 insurance
    Hello.

I am required to have an SR22 filed. (im not EXACTLY sure I remmeber why, something about not having insurance before)

So my question is... since I am now required to always have insurance under the SR22, does this apply even if I do NOT have a vehicle of any kind? I called the insurance company to get a general quote of insurance (I couldn't get an exact quote because I don't have a car yet, so I can't give vehicle info) and they said that I could be penalized and charged MORE because I didn't follow the SR22 and keep insurance. Aparently they say I should have had insurance this whole time... I Don't HAVE A CAR. This doesn't make sense to me...
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 10:31 PM

In many states, you are required to maintain insurance as long as your license is active. This prevents people from setting up insurance for the sole purpose of getting a license and then canceling it as soon as they are licensed. So often you have to show proof of being insured on another policy when you cancel with one carrier. Or sometimes after a major violation, they may remove certain drivers from the policy to save money. In either case, a license should be surrendered to your state's DMV if you drop insurance.

That being said, it seems at some point your state's DMV received notification that you are not currently insured and that's why they are requiring this form.

You say you don't have a car- you are married so are you saying there isn't even one household vehicle? If there is, then you should be listed as a driver on that policy. No, it doesn't matter that you don't necessarily have a car of your own to drive. The point is, you have access to a car so you should be listed on the auto policy.

Not sure about the specific laws in Arizona but in NC- anytime a person doesn't maintain continuous coverage, they may not be eligible for certain coverages initially. Many of the major companies adhere to this rule of thumb because people that don't maintain insurance are seen as a higher risk. It doesn't mean you can't get insurance, it just means that it may cost more and you may only be allowed to get basic coverage in the beginning.

So what'd I'd suggest (assuming you and your husband have at least one car and already have an auto policy), is calling your carrier and getting added to that policy. That is what the SR22 is in a nutshell- showing proof that your are now insured. Once you secure coverage, the insurance company will send the SR22 to the DMV.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 10:49 PM

No my husband doesn't even have a license (he just never got one, not sure why) we ride the bus or get a ride from my sister in law when we need to go somewhere.

So if az is the same as NC, I might not be required, because my drivers license is still suspended (I have to pay to get it reinstated) from the ticket I got for not having insurance *blush* I know I'm bad. I'm not doing THAT again if I get a car and pay the fee to have my license reinstated. I probably should have said that in my first post. Sorry
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 01:57 PM

Have you looked into surrendering your license? If you don't have a car or any plans of getting one soon, that may be your best option for now.

Getting a "non-owners" policy is very expensive and most carriers require that you pay the majority of the premium up front (like 90%).

You still will have to pay the fine for your ticket before you will be able to reinstate or get a new license down the road. That will be unavoidable. More than likely your DMV will put a block on you until the fine is paid.

At this point, I'd suggest calling your local DMV and telling them what you've told me here: you don't have insurance because you don't have a car and have no intentions of driving anytime soon. Unless your state is different, they'll probably require that you turn in your license if you won't be able to afford the insurance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Involved in accident without insurance but she had insurance [ 12 Answers ]

I live in PA. An older lady hit my car per the police report it states that she turned directly into my driverside of my car as I had the right of way. My car was damaged & I was hurt. I contacted my insurance company they told me my policy cancelled 3 days before the accident but its OK now...

Does employer continue to pay insurance while waiting for a COBRA Insurance election? [ 1 Answers ]

When an employee has been terminated from employment, how many days after termination does the employer have to pay the insurance premium on the employee while waiting for the employee to decide on COBRA?

Best pet insurance [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 5 month old teacup poodle. He ate choclate and had to be taken to vet. I am looking for an affordable solution to take care of the dog. Any suggestions?

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

View more questions Search