Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lucytwo2 Posts: 57, Reputation: 2

Jul 14, 2009, 03:14 PM
    Dog eating cat poop
    Why on earth would my dog(yellow lab)go and raid the litter box at night and eat the cat poop when she wouldn't eat her own food? How do you break that habit.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 03:21 PM

Consider yourselves blessed. My moms dog decided to stop eating cat poo, and start pulling it out of the pan, taking it to the DEAD CENTER of our white living room carpet, and start ROLLING on it.

Many dogs do this, have you considered moving the cat litter to where the dog can't get to it?
    lucytwo2 Posts: 57, Reputation: 2

Jul 14, 2009, 03:25 PM

I have 3 cats and the 1 dog.I have 2 litter boxes and there is no where to put them.They all have free run of the house.It's bad enough that I have to also put the cat food up on stands,kitchen table etc. because the dog likes the cat food too.
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Jul 14, 2009, 04:03 PM

It's just something they do.
    All my dog eats is cat food. We've had him for almost 4 years now, and he won't touch dry dog food.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 05:12 PM
    They have all sorts of covers for litter boxes now, with small openings that maybe your dog won't fit in.:)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2009, 07:05 AM

This is going to sound blantantly obvious but clean up the cat poop as soon as your cat has been to the litter box.

Fallentograce - Pleae change your dogs diet immediately!!
    Cat food does not have the right nutrients for a dog!
    Try mixing some cat food in with a wet DOG food and gradually wean him off the nasty cat stuff!
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 07:12 AM

This is common in labs they are great at poop eating. The only solution that works is cleaning the area more frequently. So the lab has no access. Still that may not help. My chocolate lab likes no I mean loves poop. We clean up as soon as they go, but she found a way to get poop. She watches the other dog go as he is making she eats it right from the source. Truly unbelievable!
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 08:22 AM
    My vet told me that if you sprinkle meat tenderizer on the dogs food, the other dogs will not eat it. It makes the poop taste bad :p

I don't know if it works for cat poop.
    teiannia Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2009, 08:32 AM

We used to keep our cat box in the bathroom and put a gate across the door. It kept the dog and baby out of the room, also kept the dog from drinking out of the toilet.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Jul 15, 2009, 08:34 AM

I had that problem with one of my dogs when she was a pup so I simply made it a rule that no dogs are allowed in the cats bathroom. Where the food and litter box is kept. I put up a baby gate and it was still a struggle for a while, once she was big enough to hop the gate. I know its not the best tactic in the world for a dog that hates baths like baths any more but after a point I just decided to trick her into thinking I was misunderstanding her. She went in the bathroom, I "assumed" that meant she wanted a bath. I don't even need the baby gate anymore.
    AuntSwee Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Jul 15, 2009, 11:02 PM

It isn't just labs that eat cat poo. My cockapoo eats the cat poo if I don't clean up right away. Then she just goes outside and waits for me to not look and eats cat poo out of the yard. I haven't figured out why they do it but dogs seem to love the poo.If their not eating it they are rolling in it.:eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Poop eating [ 7 Answers ]

My dog has been eating his poop. Is this normal? Can he get sick from it?

My cat is eating her kittens poop and pee? [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone please help me understand why my cat is licking pee and poop from her kittens while the kittens are going? Is this normal, or should I be worried? I don't want her to get sick and she is seaming a lot skinnier lately. Thank you for your help.

Eating cat poop [ 11 Answers ]

Some dogs that I know are eating cat poop. I've tried everything I can think of from supplimenting the diet, to keeping it away, to yelling, to sprays. I'm not sure what to do. I wonder what would draw a dog to cat poop?

Beagle eating Poop [ 1 Answers ]

All, I have a beagle female and not only does she eat her own pooh, she's begun to go into the cat box and pull out the cat's pooh. How can I stop this, and keep the cat using his box? I know of the stuff to put in her food to prevent her from eating her own, but the cat's stuff (along...

Puppy eating his own poop [ 21 Answers ]

I have an 8 month old black lab who eats his own poop and I cannot figure out why. Does anyone know why puppies do this? I try to keep him away from it but he is so quick sometimes! Is there something he is lacking in his diet? Thanks for the help.

View more questions Search