Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imagineclever Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2009, 07:48 PM
    Yo EXcon. I know this post is kind of old, but it's the best info I have found so far about this.. I've read your posts bruh. Thx for being here for us. "BJFIGHTER" was on the same thing as me. Actually what it is, is " A first-time felony waiver".. YES it's a conviction. But if you get in anymore trouble, that felony is'nt included or "held" against you, to give you more time... MY question is it's been 10 yrs since my case, and probation ended. I really want to go to Australia what do I need to know? I know I can get a passport.. but do I need a visa just to vist for 2 weeks? I can't find out any info on Google or anywhere else... help?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 08:41 PM

Hello I:

I don't know anything about going to Australia. Sorry dude.

excon
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Aug 2, 2009, 01:07 AM
    Repost this as a question on it's own. I think someone can answer you. I can't about the felony part because I am not completely sure.

As far as needing an actual visa, here's the site for Australia. http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/visa-options.
    MR3343 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2009, 07:52 PM
    Nicki you really should not be so judgemental. Passport issuance is only one problem--the other is the visa to get in the country you're visiting.

Nicki you really should not be so judgemental. Passport issuance is only one problem--the other is the visa to get in the country you're visiting.

Jobs4Felons Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2009, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello i:

I dunno anything about going to Australia. Sorry dude.

excon
    Hi ExCon (or anyone else who may know the answer)...

So, here it the situation. My sister is on probation and pays restitution. We have family in a border town in Mexico - literally like 10 miles from the US border. We want to go visit family but since she has this felony conviction, we haven't even tried to get her passport since the laws changed.

From what I am reading here, it sounds like she can get a passport and, since it is a Mexican border town, we know she won't need a Mexico visa if we travel by car. Do you know, or does anyone know, if the US border crossing is going to question us if she tries to RETURN to the US since she is on probation? We haven't even bothered with the passport because we were concerned that the US border patrol may stop us and wonder why she left the US in the first place. Since I've never experienced this, I was just wondering if anyone knows what the situation would be for a US felon, with a US passport, would encounter when coming by land across the US border back into the US from Mexico.

I assume it happens everyday but wasn't sure if anyone had experienced this.
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2009, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobs4Felons View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone knows what the situation would be for a US felon, with a US passport, would encounter when coming by land across the US border back into the US from Mexico.
    Hello Jobs:

They'll probably just wave the car through... But, they check some. I have no idea what the criteria is. If they run the names on their computers, I don't know that it WON'T show that she's on probation. Certainly, they COULD have that information on their computers... I don't know why they WOULDN'T. They ARE cops, after all. The DO want to bust people.

excon
    ryan1120 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by samsonikoiko View Post
    I have recently been released from incarceration with the FED system. Yes I am a convicted felon and always will be. There simply is no such thing as an "ex-con", lol. I had never been arrested in my life until I was 36 years old. It seems like many folks on here are simply tossing around their opinions. These are the restrictions and procedures that I know of and they are strait from the horses mouth, my probation officer.
    As a federally convicted felon you are restricted to no travel outside of your district for the first six months. Once you have made it past the six month mark, you do not need any permission to move about the U.S. If you desire to travel outside of the U.S for travel you must petition the federal judge that did your original sentencing.
    Now as far as a passport well I had to surrender my passport to the U.S. Marshal's when I had posted bond at my bond hearing, they gave me 24 hours to do so. When I was released from prison, I simply went to the U.S. Marshal office where I had surrendered the passport and they simply gave it right back to me.
    Some of you people on here seem to really have some bitter stigma towards felons. Maybe like myself, you really had no idea of what the federal government is charging tax paying, business owning, U.S. citizens with now a days. Maybe you do not realize what the true definition of "conspiracy" really does entail. It is actually quite scary to say the least.
    So, with that said, I will see you folks in southern France next winter where I have always liked to spend my hard earned U.S. dollars on vacation!!!!! :cool:
    That's what Im talking about!! Funny thing about those stigmatic people is I bet money that some, maybe not all, have done things worthy of a felony conviction/arrest at least. I don't think its fair for felons to have a public record for longer than their sentence. I didn't do anything worth life. Now I am going to college and paying my child support and becoming a productive member of society and that damn charge rears its ugly face every time I turn around. I just want to visit England and Germany, yes parts of the Netherlands as well, without having to worry. But its words like yours that provide hope.
    convictfelon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 07:49 PM

So, Ex-Con, or anyone else... In the original post, there was a comment that no passport was obtained. Well, my situation is a little different. I, too, want to visit family in the "free zone" of Mexico so I won't need a travel permit since you can go to the free zone without a concern. I have a felony conviction for which I am on probation but it is a non-violent felony and it is NOT a federal felony. It is a state jail felony (Texas). Anyway, I was thinking about going to visit family and I plan to ask my probation officer if I can go to south Texas to visit family because I'm not sure if we will actually go across the border. If I get permission to travel to south Texas, and then we go to the Mexico town for one day and come back across border control, I would think there wouldn't be an issue if I have a travel voucher that gives me permission to be in south Texas, right? I mean, wouldn't border patrol just confirm that I have permission to be in that area of south Texas and that I have a passport card verifiying my citizenship?

Anyone experience this?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2010, 08:18 PM
    Just so people know, who might continue to post here.

This is now a really old and archived thread that's not generally visible, unless someone happens to visit the forum topic area.

If you have a new question, I would suggest that you start a new thread.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2010, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by convictfelon View Post
    I would think there wouldn't be an issue if I have a travel voucher that gives me permission to be in south Texas, right?
    Hello felon:

WRONG! Northern Mexico is NOT southern Texas. That doesn't mean they'll catch you, but stop fooling yourself.

excon
    KAT2316 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2010, 05:12 PM

I have the same question I have a felony and so does my husband we are both of probation and its been over 5 years. I am leaving soon and don't know what is going to happen. Anyone have any recent feedback
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2010, 06:49 PM
    I've written it previously, and perhaps it needs to be repeated.

Just so people know, who might continue to post here...

This is now a really old and archived thread that's not generally visible, unless someone happens to visit the forum topic area.

If you have a new question, I would suggest that you start a new thread.

Thanks!
    cccp_gals_4me Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2010, 02:53 PM
    I have a felony from 1987 (indecent exposure involving a minor) Yeah, yeah, I know,. but thanks to the anonomous internet, we can all share information. My probation ended in 1989, and all civil rights restored by 1992.

I have since entered Russia (4 times), Philippines (3 times), Spain, (2 times), and Poland (1 time). I have never had ANY issues entering any of these countries, and no one at the border has even batted an eyelash. Prior to entering Russia, I had to obtain a visa for each entry.

I didn't even know that traveling to Canada or maybe the U.K. could even be a problem with a felony on my record. Therefore, I have to wonder,. is it possible that my passport does not contain any information regarding my past?

Upon entering the U.S. on each return, I was only detained once by Customs, to search my luggage upon returning from the Philippines. The agent was nice about the whole matter, and did tell me that there had been some drug activity in the Philippines recently. Also, I traveled there on company business, and was my third trip to the Philippines within 6 months. I suspect that's what raised a red flag, as opposed to anything in my background.

So, that's my history with foreign travel, and I've had no incidents to speak of. I'm contemplating going to Italy in the fall, and would hope that this long-past incident does not cause me any future problems.
    montrealvisitor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2010, 10:59 AM
    I have a passport and traveled to Canada many times (dozens), then one day my wife and kids and I were asked to park and I was asked to go inside. Now I had been stopped before and the Canadian Customs said that after reviewing my record that the crime I had a felonies for in the US was NOT a felony in Canada. I continued to cross the border without incident. In August while taking the family to Canada to go to the museums in Montreal I was again stopped and asked to come inside. My wife knowing of my felony stayed with the kids in the car. Two hours later I was told that I was no longer admissible into canada not because of my felony (which happened nine years ago) but because my violation of probation after my first felony WAS an indictable offense in Canada and made me no longer admissible. Now I have to send my records to the Canadian Consulate to see if I am rehabilitated. We'll see how that goes. Bottom line... It all depends on the officer you talk to.
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2010, 07:52 PM
    Very old and now archived thread. It's no longer visible on the list of currently active threads.

Anyone posting on it who want's what they post to really get noticed the most should really start a new thread about the subject.

Thanks!
    soldiers_angel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2011, 07:21 AM
    If my boyfriend is a convicted criminal is he able to travel to croatia in europe? And mexico
    fordf150 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2011, 05:47 PM
    There is is no such thing as a women raping a man or a boy
    bradyro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2012, 11:56 AM
    Something ain't right, Dude... Really. You've been convicted. Of that, I am sure.

excon

Actually, you're dead wrong... My first time on felony probation, I was never convicted... it's called deferred adjudication... meaning your given a probationary period to pay your restitution, and the judgement in your case is delayed during this period... if you successfully complete the terms of this probation, you will not be convicted of a felony, but rather a lesser offense...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Travel between us and france [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! Does anyone know the law on a french citizen visiting the us (for 3 months) then returning to France. How long before he can return to the US? And what is the best option for him to be able to travel freely to both countries? Is it a visa and how does one go about obtaining one... ...

Travel to Canada [ 6 Answers ]

I plan to take the family to visit some friends in Canada this Easter and was wondering if there are any special documentation I'm going to need when: From US to Canada: - Leaving the US - Entering Canada From Canada to US on the way back: - Leaving Canada - Entering the US

A question about Travel [ 1 Answers ]

Dear TaxExpert, My husband is a graduate student on F1 in North Carolina. He had a full time internship in California from June 2005 to December 2005. My question is: 1) Can we file any form to deduct this travel expense, such as Form 2106? 2) My husband and I are Chinese. I am his...

View more questions Search