Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chinochinoxl Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2009, 11:51 AM
    My car was overheating now the engine surges
    My car recently started having overheating problems.
    I realized something was different when it warmed up pretty quickly.
    I blew a few hoses already.
    But its still driveable.
    After a few days.
    When I turn the car on my car goes from 2 thousand to 3 thousand rpms by itself
    Up then down up then down.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 12:04 PM

You better not drive it AT ALL again until you get it fixed or you are going to need a new motor. You probably would have gotten by with new hose(s) and a thermastat if you had fixed it right away but you may have a LOT more damage now especially if the engine is surging.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 08:20 AM

If you blew a few hoses from overheating the vehicle, odds are you've caused much more damage. You need to have it checked over before you drive it anymore.

Jul 15, 2009, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    You better not drive it AT ALL again until you get it fixed or you are going to need a new motor. You probably would have gotten by with new hose(s) and a thermastat if you had fixed it right away but you may have a LOT more damage now especially if the engine is surging.
    Is there anything I can do to help it myself? It's a 1991 accord ex
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 12:36 PM

Find out why it's overheating. Make sure the cooling system is full and purged of air. Once it's cooled off, do a pressure test to find out if you damaged and/or warped the cylinder heads and/or gaskets.

Jul 15, 2009, 01:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    Find out why it's overheating. Make sure the cooling system is full and purged of air. Once it's cooled off, do a pressure test to find out if you damaged and/or warped the cylinder heads and/or gaskets.
    How do I do that?
    I don't have much knowledge with cars.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chinochinoxl View Post
    how do i do that?
    i dont have much knowledge with cars.
    That's why we advised you to take it to a garage. It may be serious, or it may be a simple. It's impossible to tell over the Internet.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2009, 02:15 PM

Yeah you need to get it TOWED to a garage because you could very well have motor damage by now.
    Even if you did find somebody to come to your house and fix the radiator problems you would really need to have the motor diagnosed to make sure there was no damage.

Jul 15, 2009, 03:30 PM
    Yeah you need to get it TOWED to a garage because you could very well have motor damage by now.
    Even if you did find somebody to come to your house and fix the radiator problems you would really need to have the motor diagnosed to make sure there was no damage.
    On average by what you think is the problem.
    How much would it be to get fixed?
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2009, 03:48 PM

If you had changed the hoses and other things to begin with probably under a hundred.
    Now
    It depends on how much damage you have done.
    If your radiator cracked and you have to replace hoses and temperature regulator that could be a few hundred dollars.
    Is your radiator leaking?

If you damaged your motor I am not sure what goes first so I have no idea how much that would be. My guess is that IF you did motor damage you might have to replace head gasket stuff. That could be another few hundred dollars or more I THINK.
    If you pretty much blew the motor you are talking probably a thousand or more

Other than the overheating how was it acting the last time you drove it?
    Was it stalling?
    Was there smoke coming out from under the hood or from the exhaust pipe?

Are you sure it is the hoses and was not the radiator? When it first started leaking where did you see the water?
    Like under the car? On the underside of the hood? Up where the radiator is?

Jul 15, 2009, 05:31 PM
    If you had changed the hoses and other things to begin with probably under a hundred.
    Now
    it depends on how much damage you have done.
    If your radiator cracked and you have to replace hoses and temperature regulator that could be a few hundred dollars.
    Is your radiator leaking?

If you damaged your motor I am not sure what goes first so I have no idea how much that would be. My guess is that IF you did motor damage you might have to replace head gasket stuff. That could be another few hundred dollars or more I THINK.
    If you pretty much blew the motor you are talking probably a thousand or more

Other than the overheating how was it acting the last time you drove it?
    Was it stalling?
    Was there smoke coming out from under the hood or from the exhaust pipe?

Are you sure it is the hoses and was not the radiator? when it first started leaking where did you see the water?
    Like under the car? on the underside of the hood? Up where the radiator is?
    Well right now what's happening is that it overheats to probably 5 to 10 minutes driving.
    The surging has been happening until the car gets warm. Doesn't surge anymore. And my neighbor said it might be a heater hose that popped. My fan is not going on when my car heats up.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2009, 05:32 PM

You may not have extensive damage but you need to get it fixed before you drive even another mile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Riding Mower engine surges [ 3 Answers ]

Craftsman riding mower is around 7 years old. Engine, not mower, surges in idle and while mowing; replaced plug, gas line, gas filter, filled w/new gas, & air filter. What else can I do?

92 Honda Civic Overheats and Engine Surges [ 5 Answers ]

The engine surges in a consistent pattern. Then, after a few minutes of driving it overheats. These symptoms appeared at the same time. At the time it overheats, I noticed that the hose from the radiator to the engine is cool with no pressure while the hose from the engine to the radiator is hot...

New 26hp Briggs & Stratton Engine Surges [ 2 Answers ]

I just replaced the engine in my lawn tractor with a new 26hp B&S v-twin vertical mounted engine. When I advance the throttle from slow to fast, the engine surges, and I am unable to get full power. There is a rod near the throttle stop that moves up and down when the engine surges. When light...

1985 Toyota Tercel Engine surges [ 1 Answers ]

My 1985 Toyota Tercel, 1.5 liter 4 cyl, carburetor, surges when the throttle is held steady at about 1200 rpm. It starts well and runs well at other speeds. No smoke or backfire. New plugs and cap, clean egr valve.

View more questions Search