Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    learneveryday Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 09:34 PM
    3-way switch wiring
    I am having trouble wiring a 3way light system. I am looking to run two lights from both ends of the switches. My explanation is I had a single light & switch at the top of stairs and a single light & switch at the bottom of stairs. I have ran 12-3 wires between switchs but not sure how to wire in to 3way switchs to supply both lights from both ends.

Power to switch to light to switch to light.
    Light in middle of run and end of run, or beginning of run and end of run

:( If any one can help. Or is it possible?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2006, 02:44 AM
    Here is a diagram of a 3 way- 4 way switch. Just imagine the 4 way is not in the circuit. You will be unable to switch two lights ,one from each end of the circuit.

You could have ran a 4 wire plus ground cable to carry the switched leg to the other end of the circuit to feed the other light, but unfortunately, not with 3 wire between the two switches.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Fan Wiring To Switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new ceiling fan in a room where the switch previously controlled only an outlet and there was no power directly at the switch, only at the outlet. At the switch box I wired the two white wires together and then wired the black wires, one each, to the screws on the switch. The...

Wiring manual fan switch [ 5 Answers ]

I'd like to wire my blower motor to my Honeywell CT2800 programmable thermostat so that I can use the manual blower switch. However, I am a bit confused as to how to do this. The furnace is a Clare Brothers MBG120. The 120VAC comes into the furnace and the white wire goes to the 120VAC to 24VAC...

Dimer switch wiring? [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a single pole switch with a new dimer switch. On the dimer there are four wires, rerd-black-blue and the ground. Where are all these wires connecting to. Jeff

Wiring a light switch [ 2 Answers ]

The light currently just has a pull cord and I want a simple wall switch instead. The power runs to the light from the other side of the room. Do I just need to run a wire from the switch to the light and tie it in or have the power come to the switch first and then to the light? How does it tie...

Wiring a switch and GFCI circuit [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process of wiring my bathroom. The lighting and fan circuit has one fan, one overhead light and one vanity light. I was wanting to use a NuTone single space / 3 switch unit for all three. Wiring that is all very straight forward but the fan requires a GFCI circuit to make it OK for over...

View more questions Search