Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bhaikaju Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2009, 09:13 AM
    3 pin ground power unit connector in aircraft
    Can anybody tell me the purpose of the 3 pin ground power unit connector in aircraft, I want to ask why the third pin is short in length than the other two and is it positive or negative?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 09:30 AM

The power limited connection, I believe has a minimum of 4 pins and not 3 and limited to around 100W (don't quote me on the number).

There are two larger pins that carry DC power and two shorter pins.
    On the device that is plugged in, those two pins are shorted together.

What this does is, it allows the device to be plugged in, the power connections made, and then the power turned on as the connecor is inserted. It also allows the power to be disconnected prior to the larger power pins clearing the connector.

This does a few things:
    1. Control of the power can be logic level and some can be disconnected for power management.
    2. It removes ignition sources such as sparks. Connection is made before power is supplied.
    3. Increases the reliability of the connectors.
    4. The connectors are not powered at all times.
    5. A power limited switch (the two pins) can be anly low voltage. For instance 5V at 20 mA which cannot draw appriciable power.

The terminology is sometimes called "hot-swap".

In a different application such as tellecommunications:

A redundant power supply develops a fault and signals that it has one. The other one is now supplying power due to some diode oring. The technician removes the old one and places the new one in service without disconnecting power, because power is diconnected during the removal process. No sparks fly in the process and no connectors are damaged.

Here is a discussion:

http://www.ecnasiamag.com/article-65...hips-Asia.html
    bhaikaju Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2009, 09:35 AM
    Thanks a lot brother... Really helpful..
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2009, 05:26 AM

I believe many have at least 2, 3 and 4 prong GPU's, Here's 3 phase:
    http://www.stat-con.com/GPU_Catalouge.pdf
    http://www.teslaind.com/lspeed/suppo...00manual_L.pdf
    Piper uses 2 prong. Many smaller aircraft use 3prong. Still looking for the purpose of the 3rd pin.
    May be answered above.
    Spacewizard Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2010, 12:31 PM

Typically 3 pin aircraft ground power connectors use two circuits to prevent arcing when the pins are plugged into the sockets.
    Two larger pins provide power and ground for the main high voltage circuit. The shorter third pin powers a low voltage circuit that energises a solenoid to close the high voltage circuit after the longer pins have first been partially inserted into their sockets. The low voltage circuit makes use of the aircraft electrical systems common ground and therefore needs only one pin for power.
    Spacewizard Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2010, 12:33 PM
    Typically, a three pin aircraft ground power plug/receptacle are provided to prevent arcing. Two (usually larger pins) are ground and power connectors for the main high voltage power circuit. The third (shorter) pin powers a low voltage circuit that energizes a solenoid to close the high voltage circuit after the large prongs have first been partially inserted into their sockets. The low voltage circuit needs only one pin, because it makes use of the aircraft electrical systems common ground.
    Aircraftplugs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2013, 07:31 AM
    Hi,

This is correct.

A three pin aircraft ground power plug/receptacle are provided to prevent arcing. Two (usually larger pins) are ground and power connectors for the main high voltage power circuit. But The third (shorter) pin has the same voltage, not po a low voltage circuit

It energizes a solenoid to close the high voltage circuit after the large prongs have first been partially inserted into their sockets. The low voltage circuit needs only one pin, because it makes use of the aircraft electrical systems common ground.

The 3 pins are also silver plated to avoid arcing.

You can find more information on the website of www.aircraftplugs.com
    Gary jp4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2013, 07:14 AM
    Good answers. The concept is correct, but one correction.

In the typical 3 pin GPU plug commonly referred to as the "NATO connector" the third small pin is not a lower voltage. It is a lower amperage at the same voltage. The large positive pin and the small pin are connected together (shorted) within the plug, so they are the same voltage. The small pin is used for low amperage control, usually to close a relay in the aircraft used to make the high amperage circuit.

From the reference given (PRODUCER OF AIRCRAFTPLUGS - AN2551 ), under the literature button, read the PDF "Purpose of 3 PIN on AN2551 connector".

Here are a couple of excerpts:

"The purpose of the 3 pin ground power unit connector in aircraft, why is the third pin is shorter in length than the other two and is it positive or negative ? The two positive pins are shorted together. The smallest pin is limited to 100 W. There are two larger pins that carry DC power and one shorter pin. It allows the device to be plugged in, the power connections made, and then the power turned on as the connector is inserted. It also allows the power to be disconnected prior to the larger power pins clearing the connector."

And

"Typically 3 pin aircraft ground power connectors use two circuits to prevent arcing when the pins are plugged into the sockets. Two larger pins provide power and ground for the main high voltage circuit. The shorter third pin powers a low amperage circuit that energizes a solenoid to close the high amperage circuit after the longer pins have first been partially inserted into their sockets. The low amperage circuit makes use of the aircraft electrical systems common ground and therefore needs only one pin for power. All three pins are silver plated to avoid arcing as well. "

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Running new power to above ground pool [ 16 Answers ]

I need to get power to my above ground pool it is approx.100 feet from the elecrical panel what size wire do I need and when I bury it does it need to be in conduit?

Broken outlet. Hot and ground give power [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all. A month or so back I replaced an outlet in the kitchen with a GCFI outlet. This outlet apparently is the only thing on the circuit. Through this process I visually traced the wire through the basement and it seems to go from the outlet, down the wall, and into the breaker, no junction...

Power on ground [ 19 Answers ]

I have a 15 amp circuit and breaker that is caryying 27 amps and tripping the breaker I have turned off and unplugged evrything in the house including all the breakers except the one I am having trouble with it give me about 30 secs to get a amp reading b-4 it trips I have taken all the devices...

Power on ground [ 3 Answers ]

Nothing on the cicuit even carries close to 27 amps ( lights and receptacles) And EVERYTHING disconnected I might ad this is in a mobile home but should not matter

Difference between a Power Distribution Unit (PDU) and a Remote Power Panel (RPP) [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any difference between a Power Distribution Unit (PDU) and a Remote Power Panel (RPP) in context of data center? If yes, then what is it?. Thanks.

View more questions Search