Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigNavySeal Posts: 106, Reputation: 19

Jul 14, 2009, 12:26 AM
    Short-term excitement vs. Long-term relationship
    All right, here it goes. Ehm there's this hot lady sitting in my office, as there are many others in my office who are attractive. They are all Asian, as I'm living in Bangkok. Now, the thing is is that this lady has something for me (she contacted me cause she finds me attractive), and I am in a godforsaken dubio. Something everyone probably understands, but I don't know how to deal with it.

On the one hand I am looking for 'the right woman', the woman I will be totally falling in love with and will be me my wife until death separates us, the best friends forever and ever. Now, this woman hasn't quite passed by yet.

So while I'm living my life, I haven't yet found the right person but I do want (short-term?) affection. Now, I'm all sitting frustrated here looking at these hot women, and this girl I can go out with and start dating right away (don't misinterper, I am a sensitive, social and generally shy/affectionate/romantic person).

Simply said, I know that I will most likely not be wanting a long-term relationship with her, but I regularly do want excitement, but I am shy on this, maybe because I am too emotional, or I don't want to live a relationship lie or whatever. I am contineously attracted by 'hot women' around, and I just love the Asian attitude, but I feel like I'm not doing the right thing if I just want to approach them for short-term affection/excitement, aka sex, as I know it will not create that affectionate love I am trully looking for. This in my personal perspective, but I am also a little brain washed with the marriage idea.

Is it OK to have some intimite moments / sex with women and after that just leaving it.. I feel bad to myself and bad to her if I do that, but maybe it's just in my mind, feeling guilty. I am sensitive when it comes to normal relationships anyway, and I have been emotionally depressed now and then...

FYI, I had a few one night stands quite a long time ago but I don't want that again, makes me feel bad after, like thinking I'm irresponsible and just following my desires and not knowing what to do with this woman afterwards... (e.g. staying friends - cutting of friendship - build a relationship, which I obviously not what I want, maybe I'm afraid to really expose myself/show love... )

Some serious answers with insight please about relationships/friendship/marriage, etc.

Thanks guys!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 04:39 AM

You sound like a really great catch that you would want to wait for the right one to share your life with.

Who knows maybe this girl is looking for the same and you might really like her enough that she could be the one.
    I know a few guys that brought home 'war brides' in the wars back in the day. They seem to have wives that understand the value of commitment and so forth.

Just because you might date her certainly doesn't mean you have to jump into bed with her. Although you would have to have self control and be strong enough to not fall into your passions. As a Navy Seal you probably do have it in you to have the self control. Get to know her a little better and then take it from there.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 05:20 AM
    I'd avoid messing around with ANYONE at your place of work. It NEVER works out and there are always problems when it falls apart.

With that said... you can't possibly know that a certain woman would not be the right one for you until you date them. Every woman has her own personality, and some of them will be right for any given person and others won't be. Just don't overthink things because you can't possibly know what's in her heart and soul until you spend time dating them.

You will have cheaters and unfaithful women that are both homely or hot... you can't tell which you have until you have spent time with them. You can't judge them on the visual aspects alone.
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Jul 14, 2009, 08:04 AM
    Ahhh, the moral dilemma of the bachelor. :confused: I firmly believe in lust, but only under the right circumstances. And I agree with the above. Stay away from workplace sexual pursuits! That having been said, I have found for myself that any intimate interaction comes with baggage that carries over into the relationships you have later on. Sometimes it can be good, you learn how to communicate better, or what you will not tolerate from a mate. But others can leave you with regret.

I think for a decision like this you will need to factor in a few things. Can I have an open short term fling without any repercussions? You need to think about that. What happens if you find an amicable female and she winds up pregnant, she still won't be the woman you want to be with for the rest of your life, but you will be raising a child together regardless.

If you really want the long-term then that's what you need to try and find. Stop sitting around thinking about the hotties at work who would do you, and start trying to get yourself in a position where YOU are worth the wait to the future MRS. Hottie.

If you think you can handle a non-committed sexual relationship then do so openly or not at all. But it has been my experience that they all end badly, it's never what you really want in the first place. Someone wants more, and the other still isn't in love and won't be. Or it drags on for a long period, time you could be spending finding Mrs. Hottie.

If you decide to do this, keep dating, but only share your bed with one partner.:cool:
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 08:59 AM

Frankly, my opinion is this:

It's okay to have JUST a relationship that is about lust only--but only if BOTH parties are ONLY looking for that. (It seldom works, btw---one or the other party always gets attached).

I do, however, think that you're looking at things wrong by deciding she's not a long-term girl for you BEFORE you've dated her. How the heck could you know? Most of the time what we THINK we want and what we NEED in a partner are two different things--and if you are ruling people out before you've even had a date with them, well... you're going to miss the person meant for you.
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Jul 14, 2009, 09:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    Frankly, my opinion is this:

It's okay to have JUST a relationship that is about lust only--but only if BOTH parties are ONLY looking for that. (It seldom works, btw---one or the other party always gets attached).

I do, however, think that you're looking at things wrong by deciding she's not a long-term girl for you BEFORE you've dated her. How the heck could you know? Most of the time what we THINK we want and what we NEED in a partner are two different things--and if you are ruling people out before you've even had a date with them, well....you're going to miss the person meant for you.
    Ohhhh I like that, I go with her answer, ignore mine.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 09:14 AM
    Exactly, when I first met my wife I thought, damn she's cute and has a nice butt. Who knew then that 3 years later we'd get married.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    Yeah, even if we both THINK and SAY that's what we're looking for, having found it, we often want more.

Anyone who succeeds in definitively solving the problem of balancing long-run and short-run costs and benefits will make a huge contribution to the fields of both economics and romance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Short term vs long term capital gains, loss carryovers [ 4 Answers ]

Back in 2000 and 2001, I had short term capital losses that exceeded the 3000 dollar limit. Each year, I've been able to deduct 3000 dollars since my short term gains have been minimal. I still haven't used up all my 2000 and 2001 short term losses. I had some long term gains in 2000, but...

Follow up on short term vs long term loss [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I have stock that I receive every year which of course has been hammered - I want to sell just enough to take advantage of the maiximum 3000 capital loss, just to offset ordinary income, also: 1. Can the loss be used to offset ordinary income even though I'm subject to AMT ? 2. Does the...

Should I claim short term or long term loss [ 4 Answers ]

Hi - I have stock that I receive every year which of course has been hammered - I want to sell just enough to take advantage of the maiximum 3000 capital loss, just to offset ordinary income. I can sell stock I've held for a while and generate a long term loss or use stock acquired this year for...

Accounting for Long Term and Short Term Cap Gains [ 2 Answers ]

How do I properly account for Long Term and Short Term Capital Gains from investments (stocks and bonds)? I am unsure of which account to use and the proper treatment on the financial statements. We (the Company) have not been involved in investing much until this year. Feel free to assume I know...

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why? [ 4 Answers ]

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why?

View more questions Search