Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taoplr Posts: 415, Reputation: 144

Jul 13, 2009, 05:11 PM
    Fusion as an energy source
    Can fusion be a viable energy source in our lifetime?

Thanks,

Tao
    Lucas2009 Posts: 129, Reputation: 21

Jul 13, 2009, 08:15 PM
    Not while the corrupt politicians and big greedy oil companies control the world.

Jul 13, 2009, 09:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas2009 View Post
    Not while the corrupt politicians and big greedy oil companies control the world.
    Nothing will work the way it should/could while that greed and corruption dominate the human condition. But is it technically feasible? Do you know what the state of the art is?

Jul 14, 2009, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by taoplr View Post
    Nothing will work the way it should/could while that greed and corruption dominate the human condition. But is it technically feasible? Do you know what the state of the art is?
    Well, I believe that ANY technological advancements in the area of energy production, have been suppressed by those same entities. All in an effort to keep us dependent on their controllable energy source, oil. I think that there are fantastic Solar Energy technologies out there as well as Fuel Cell technology.

And as for fusion? Yes, not only do I feel its viable, but I have the feeling that it is out there already. Do you remember some years back a scientist came forward and claimed to have created "room temperature" fusion? It was on the cover of every science magazine at the time. After a short while his claims were "disproved." But most importantly, he disappeared. He stopped working, never resurfaced, never tried again, never heard from again. Thomas Edison tried over 200 times to perfect the light bulb. My point is, no scientist just stops working. Not unless he is "convinced" to stop, or it was a complete hoax. Now, if this room temperature fusion guy was a hoax, why would he have been so vocal and public in the beginning, knowing that a hoax like that could easily be disproved? Why would these very reputable magazines have featured him?

I remember some years back, on a 1950's TV show about inventions, a man came forward and announced he created a lifetime spark plug for any gas engine. The show was live. Suddenly, it was cut off the air, and that man was never heard of again. Still another example from the 1960's was a man who filled his car's gas tank with plain water, then dropped in a white pill about the size of a golf ball. After a few moments, he started the car and drove it with no problems. This man too disappeared.

Check out the movie Chain Reaction with Keanu Reeves. This film perfectly illustrates how anyone who creates a viable alternative energy source would instantly become a target. And while you are at it, check out the movie Antitrust with Ryan Phillippe. This film doesn't involve energy, but it shows how new technology inventions can make their inventors targets for murder, just to steal the ideas or suppress them.

We will see fusion eventually, but only after all the oil is all gone and they figure a way to charge a fee for the use of the fusion. Solar energy? Just as soon as they figure a way to put a meter on the Sun.

Jul 14, 2009, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas2009 View Post
    Well, I believe that ANY technological advancements in the area of energy production, have been suppressed by those same entities. All in an effort to keep us dependent on their controllable energy source, oil. I think that there are fantastic Solar Energy technologies out there as well as Fuel Cell technology.

We will see fusion eventually, but only after all the oil is all gone and they figure a way to charge a fee for the use of the fusion. Solar energy? Just as soon as they figure a way to put a meter on the Sun.
    I believe you, and have heard of the mysterious disappearance of researchers and inventors before. It's amazing how short our collective memory is!

I also remember a commercial plane crash off Long Island, NY, maybe 4-5 years ago in which witnesses reported seeing the plane being hit by a missile then crashing into the ocean. It was reported on the web and in the papers; then it just disappeared. Never mentioned again. I called the news editor of the paper that carried the item and asked what had happened to it. She didn't know, but acknowledged to me that the item had been there for a while. Strange times.

For me, the realization that we live in a Fascist state has been slow coming. Now, I have no doubt. The corporations rule everything. But, if Matt Savinar is right in his book, The Oil Age is Over, that our dependence on oil, affordable oil for everything from gasoline to plastics, will soon bring our way of life to a screeching halt, many of these mega-giants will fail.

Thanks for the movie recommendations. Be well,

Tao

Jul 14, 2009, 09:29 AM
    Thanks for the movie recommendations. Be well,

Tao[/QUOTE]

My pleasure. Always happy to talk "conspiracies" with someone intelligent and open. Hey, also check out the book Behold A Pale Horse by William Cooper. In his book, Cooper said that he would probably be killed after writing this book. And guess what? He was. Some say accident, others claim justifiable police action. Whatever. Here is a link to Amazon, it tells a little about it and, there are tons of sites online about him and his book. Take care.
    Amazon.com: Behold a Pale Horse: William Cooper: Books
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 16, 2009, 09:07 AM

The OP asked wheter fusion generation would be possible in our life times, and somehow this got sidetracked into conspiracy theories. The question of course will be impossible to answer until either (a) commercially-viable fusion power becomes a reality, or (b) you die - until then all we have are opinions. Here's mine:

Technically - yes it's possble. But I doubt it would be economically viable. The cpaital outlay for a fusion plant would be enormous - probably many times the cost of a typical Atomic plant, and those have a g=hard time competing against coal and natural gas power plants. Personnally I think wind and solar will gain significant traction long before fusion.

Side comment on the conspiracy theory discussion of the earlier posts - as is iften the case with such discussion most of the so-called "facts" are in error. The guys who trumpeted the "cold fusion" discoveries in 1989 were shown to be just plain wrong about their results. They have not disappeared; Pons was still working in the field as of 1998, and as recently as 2006 Fleischmann was working for the US Navy - see

Cold fusion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Martin Fleischmann - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the plane that crashed in Long Island Sound - that was back in 1996 (how time flies). There have long been rumors of a navy missile test and witnesses reporting a bright streak in the sky, but no credible evidence was ever offered that could refute the official findings (explosion of fuel vapor in one of the tanks). Yo would think that if the navy actually fired a mssile at the time that someone on board ship would have come forward by now. The story really gained legs when Pierre Salinger "broke" the missile theory story on national TV. Do a web search on "TWA 800" and all you'll see all the conspiracy theories in full detail - no cover up there, but also nothing new in the past 13 years.
    jperryman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2009, 09:32 AM
    In my opinion, it depends on wheter an economically feasible method for achieving fusion is discovered in our lifetime. Otherwise, I agree with ebaines' opinion that it does not seem economically viable with today's methods.

Present methods seem to involve plasma, lots of electricity, powerful magnetic fields, take up a lot of space, and use expensive, cutting edge technological assemblies. None of this seems to be getting us to an affordable fusion solution any time in the near future.

To me the big X factor is figuring out how initiate and harvest energy from fusion in a much simpler, cost effective manner. If this happens in my lifetime, maybe my children will get to drive some of the world's first fusion powered cars...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat of Fusion [ 1 Answers ]

The heat of fuxion for water is 6.01 kJ/mol and for ethyl alcohol is 5.01 kJ/mol. The amount of heat that would melt 25.0 grams of water would melt how many grams of ethyl alcohol?

Fusion surgery [ 3 Answers ]

Hi,I suffer from degenerative disc disease and am contemplating fusion surgery (L3-4,L4-5)and would like to hear anyone's success/failure stories.Thx.

The clean energy source [ 2 Answers ]

There is any clean energy source in the world like a wind power.

Energy from a radioactive source [ 3 Answers ]

a radioactive source has an activity of 3.2*10^9 Bq and emits alpha particles , each with kinetic energy of 5.2 MeV. The source is enclosed in a small aluminium container of mass 2*10^-4 Kg which absorbs the radiation completely. calculate the energy in J absorbed from the source each second by...

View more questions Search