Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luckymary Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 07:02 PM
    Washer in basement backing up on rinse cycle
    Moved into a house recently. Finally really happy to have a washer. On the rinse cycle it overflows onto the basement floor through the vent in the floor. Maintenance guy came over today and says it is probably lint clogging the line. He pours a quart of lime into the pipe that the washer drains into. The tells me if that doesn't work I should try to go to some hardware store and buy some acid and put that in the drain. Of course it didn't work. Should I try the acid thing? Or should we just look into snaking it? (Or having them snake it?) I have one of these maintence people that probably wouldn't want to snake it unless everything else had been tried.
    darrel1953 Posts: 86, Reputation: 12

Oct 16, 2006, 10:29 PM
    As long as you know that the drain gravity feeds out to the municipal sewer drain in the street, yes, you should have it snaked. If it is not gravity fed to the municipal sewer drain in the street. Get back to me. You can find out by asking the city or county official who are in the building department. Or ask a neighbor who has been there for a long time. They may know. Would you like to see an article I wrote about main line sewer drains? It is not quite the same but I think the information may be useful. http://www.plumbinglessons.com/sup/mainline.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore washer noisy spin cycle [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore washer purchased Mar. 2001. The final spin cycle is very noisy (sounds like -but isn't- an unbalanced load) what should I check first?

Washer backing up [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys. My 21-year-old son recently brought a house (6 months). I am very proud of him but very disappointed in the house. In a very short time we have found many problems with this house. It angers me because my son is a hard worker, good kid and deserves better. So, after this small intro,...

Washer does not finish cycle [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool washer that is 2 and half years old. It stops working during a cycle, especially wash and rinse cycles. When I move the dail a bit and push the knob it starts again. This repeats until the cycle is finished. Repair technician states that it needs timer replacement which costs...

Washer Rinse Water Backs Up in Kitchen Sink [ 5 Answers ]

My washing machine rinse water backs up into my double kitchen sink and my wonderful plumber is stumped. I'm only able to wash a mini load (which fills up both sinks) as a medium or large load causes my kitchen sinks to overflow. It's been doing this for over a year now and I'm tired of living with...

View more questions Search