Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjohnson228 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 02:37 PM
    Where to report?
    Where should I report a auto repair shop that is not bonded or insured and they often drive their cusomers cars home?
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 02:49 PM

See this page by insurancefraud.org.

That should help you out.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 02:52 PM

Some cities may require bonding and or insurance but in most cases it is not a law. Working without insurance simply means if they get sued no insurance company stands behind them. If you sue and win you may be the new company owner. Tell us more, where do you live and how do you know they have no insurance or bond?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 13, 2009, 02:58 PM

I agree with ballenger. I don't see anything here that would interest the law. So no place to report it.

Jul 13, 2009, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Some cities may require bonding and or insurance but in most cases it is not a law. Working without insurance simply means if they get sued no insurance company stands behind them. If you sue and win you may be the new company owner. Tell us more, where do you live and how do you know they have no insurance or bond?
    They repaired a neighbor,s car and when she got it back it had 310 more miles than when she left it and it still did the same thing she took it in for,she cared it to a auto repair shop she used often and he said nothing had been done to the car as for as repairs,she was trying to save money and this place was much cheaper,she went to them and they gave her all kind of excuses,one of the employees pulled her to the side and told her they were not bonded or insured and the owner drove her car on vacation as they had it 2 weeks because they closed their shop for vacation,we live in Alabama maybe the laws are different here.Thank you!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 13, 2009, 03:05 PM

Then she needs to sue the shop to recover what she paid and for the extra wear and tear on the car. Essentially this is a case of fraud. She might also report this to the police as criminal fraud. That's the law that was broken. Operating a shop that is not bonded and uninsured probably doesn't.

But don't be surprised if the owner just closes up the shop and then it reopens under "new mgmt". People like this guy do this all the time.

Jul 13, 2009, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Then she needs to sue the shop to recover what she paid and for the extra wear and tear on the car. Essentially this is a case of fraud. She might also report this to the police as criminal fraud. That's the law that was broken. operating a shop that is not bonded and uninsured probably doesn't.

But don't be surprised if the owner just closes up the shop and then it reopens under "new mgmt". People like this guy do this all the time.
    Thank you very much your answer helped me a lot I will inform my friend,I am sure she will not get her $2.000.00 back but maybe with your help we can help people not to make the same mistake again Thank You!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 03:20 PM

Are you saying she laid down 2,000.00 without test driving the car after repair?

Jul 13, 2009, 03:30 PM
    Thank you very much,I am new at this but your answer helped me a lot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to report someone [ 2 Answers ]

I know some one who is here from iraq and came here as an asylum seeker I don't think he has got his permanent stay yet but I know once they come over here they are not allowed to go back to iraq for a visit but he is going back on the 12 July and is catching a plane to istanbul I think then cross...

When to report to PO [ 4 Answers ]

If a person is sentenced to probation only and no jail time; within how many days after the sentence hearing do the person need to report to his PO.

Should I report or not? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi experts, I am a new employer, and I have one simple question about reporting 1099misc for one of my independent contractor. Since the condition of Box 7 of 1099misc shows: "At lease $600 or more to report", so what if the amout of a fee paid is less than $600?? Does that mean I don't need...

View more questions Search