Going to ninth grade
    well im going to ninth grade
    and i would like to know wat do you learn in
    ninth grade algebra and in biology??
    :confused:
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 02:40 PM

Umm... you learn algebra... and biology...
    XD

I'm not sure what you're asking.
    I could tell you a ten page report on what you learn. Link you to some algebra and Biology sites... but I'm sure you a smart enough almost-high-schooler to figure that out for yourself.

So, tell me, why are you worried about it, and, specifically, what would you like to know about?
    brizeida Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jul 13, 2009, 03:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HelpinHere View Post
    Umm... you learn algebra... and biology....
    xD

I'm not sure what you're asking.
    I could tell you a ten page report on what you learn. Link you to some algebra and Biology sites... but I'm sure you a smart enough almost-high-schooler to figure that out for yourself.

So, tell me, why are you worried about it, and, specifically, what would you like to know about?

Well its cause I want learn about everything before school starts so by da time in there I will already know what 2 do cause I want to be real smarts to be able 2 achieve other things 2
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 03:17 PM
    Okay, well, for starters, try learning some English...

Quote Originally Posted by brizeida View Post
    well its cause i want learn bout everything b4 school starts so by da time in there i will already know wat 2 do cause i want to be real smarts 2 b able 2 achieve other things 2
    Well, it's because I want to learn aabout everything before school starts, so, by the time I'm there, I will already know what to do, because I want to be real smart[sic, no "s"] to be able to achieve other things too.

All corrections are in bold. This was just spelling and punctuation. Grammar, and the fact that it is a run-on sentence is another nightmare completely.

Next, it doesn't matter if you know everything or not. Even if you know more than the teacher, you are still required, by law, to sit in that chair every day until the class is over. Learning is a part of life, and there is no way around it.

Finally, try THIS page on algebra, and THIS page on biology.

Load me up with reddies for being so blunt with the corrections!

Jul 13, 2009, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HelpinHere View Post
    Okay, well, for starters, try learning some English....

Well, it's because I want to learn about everything before school starts, so, by the time I'm there, I will already know what to do, because I want to be real smart[sic, no "s"] to be able to achieve other things too.

All corrections are in bold.

Next, it doesn't matter if you know everything or not. Even if you know more than the teacher, you are still required, by law, to sit in that chair every day until the class is over. Learning is a part of life, and there is no way around it.

Finally, try THIS page on algebra, and THIS page on biology.

Go ahead and load me up with reddies for being so blunt with the corrections!
    What about english?
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 03:47 PM

What about English?

Obviously, you use English. Therefore, if you are going to be taking classes in English, you should learn how to think, speak, write, and type in English, correctly.

If, even after all the corrections I clearly pointed out to you, you don't realize my point, I doubt you'll be able to learn an entire nine months' course of work in the month and a half before school starts.

However, if you really wish to, confuse yourself more. Follow those links I gave you and overload your brain with everything you aren't ready to learn yet. Learn it all so you will be completely bored in your class and have nothing interesting to do all school year. I wish you the best of luck.
    paigerwaiger94 Posts: 87, Reputation: 3

Jul 22, 2009, 02:17 PM

Ok, I'm a tenth grader:) And I HATE math. But... Algebra, surprisingly, wasn't that difficult. Most of it is learning equations. If you don't mind mixing the alphabet with math, you'll do fine.
    And in Biology, Its not that difficult either. You really focus on the study of life, cells, and cell structure. Not that difficult.
    It all starts where eighth grade left off... promise!
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Jul 22, 2009, 02:53 PM
    well its cause i want learn bout everything b4 school starts so by da time in there i will already know wat 2 do cause i want to be real smarts 2 b able 2 achieve other things 2
    You should just learn algebra and biology when you start school. You are going to have enough time in life to become smart. Instead you should try reading a lot and writing too. It's the key to becoming smart. Smart people read, they don't just try to learn things before they need too.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2009, 05:02 PM

Hey Brizeida,
    Good for you for wanting to do well next year. You asked a great question.

I had the same experience with algebra as paigerwaiger. I really got tired of all the computation in basic math, especially long division, which it seemed like my teachers made me do for years. But algebra was actually kind of fun, like doing puzzles or games. It will depend on your teacher and your confidence level. It sounds weird, but being anxious about math can make you do worse. Don't be afraid of it! It's not true that you have to be really smart to do well in math. You just have to work hard and stay organized. And it sounds like you want to do that.

9th grade biology should not be too difficult, but what you learn will really depend on the teacher. I can tell you they'll give you some introductory chemistry, then skip to basic cell structure, a little genetics, then evolution, ecology and probably physiology--like blood circulation, how we digest food, and how the kidneys work.

They probably will skip plant physiology and the diversity of life--all the different kinds of plants and animals and bacteria--but I could be wrong. Like I said, a lot of this depends on the school and the teacher.

There will probably be a lot of memorization of terms, so it does actually make sense to learn some of the vocabulary ahead of time ( even though some people here said otherwise--I don't agree with them).

A LOT of people have trouble with the basic chemistry at the very beginning of biology because it's supposed to be like a review, except you usually haven't had any chemistry so it can be confusing. It's not even that central to what comes in the rest of biology, but it can leave you feeling like you don't understand the course, right off the bat. (If I had my way, people would start with something more fun.)

So one thing you could do is look at the first few chapters of a chemistry textbook at the library and that would probably give you a head start when school comes. Whatever you do, don't get discouraged if you don't completely understand all the chemistry. For most of 9th grade biology, you don't need to know it. You might need some of it for genetics and physiology, but it depends on the teacher and the book you get.

One thing you should not do is read the entry on biology at Wikipedia. It's really bad and won't help you at all! There's so much information on all these topics on the internet, but I don't know of any one site that covers of all biology in an accurate and interesting way. Well, actually, one place you can look is a new site called CK-12.org that has a free biology text online. They are still working on it, but you could look there. There are two books, one for 11th grade biology and one for 9th grade. I think you want "Life Sciences." Still, I think you are better off with a real book. If you wanted to do some summer reading --books on biology that are not textbooks, but just more for fun, I could suggest some.

For example, Larry Gonick's Cartoon History of the Universe covers the story of evolution in comic form and is fun to read. Another great book is Our Inner Ape, by Frans de Waal, which talks about the behavior of chimpanzees and their relatives and how we are like them or not like them.

One thing I read recently is that kids who do no math or reading over the summer fall behind academically compared to kids who do. Over time, the ones who read books and do a little math get farther and farther ahead. So you are on the right track. Don't let anyone discourage you!

Just Asking
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2009, 09:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    it does actually make sense to learn some of the vocabulary ahead of time ( even though some people here said otherwise--I don't agree with them).
    I can't speak for everyone here, but I'll say what I was intending.

I was trying to say that it would be pointless to try to learn a whole terms worth of biology and/or algebra over the summer. Both for the fact that it'd be all but impossible this close to the school year, and the other reasons I stated above.

However, I DO believe it could be helpful to get some advance information, especially for someone who struggles with that kind of stuff. That is why I provided the links I did.

PS: Thanks for the balancer N0help
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2009, 12:59 AM

paigerwaiger94 disagrees: There is no need to jump down her throat. Shorthand is a type of english. It makes typing easier, and quicker.
    It's not a shorthand that will be acceptable in school and it's not acceptable many other places. Most of the regulars here, for instance, don't like it. And even though it might be easier and quicker to type, it's absolutely NOT easier and quicker to read. In fact, I skip over many things that are typed that way.

All this short-cut and texting carp is a very recent thing. Maybe it seems normal to you, but to the vast, vast, vast majority of people, it's not normal and it's not easy to read. It's like having to return to first grade and learn to read again.

You are capable of reading normal English because all books and nearly everything out there is written that way. So why not just write the same way?

Not to mention that if you actually learn how to type, which is a requirement for schools these days, then it's plenty fast enough to type out actual words and sentences. I'll bet I can type full words and sentences and beat your texting speed any day.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2009, 02:23 AM

Oh, poo - that's what I get for just following the link and not paying attention.:o
    idontlikemath Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2009, 08:32 PM

it's the 3rd week of school and so far were learning evaluating expressions, translating verbal phrases into an expression, equation and/or inequality, formulas[i=prt], functions, domain and range, and graphing.. D:
    ugh, its pretty tough at first until you read over your work a whole bunch of times.. I mean I get the equations I just don't get functions.. so yeah hope I helped(:
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2009, 09:37 AM

Well, with practice, idotlikemath, you will be able to do these in matters of seconds :)

It's improbable that the OP comes back to read now, though...

Sep 14, 2009, 04:54 PM
    What's reddie!?

Sep 14, 2009, 04:56 PM
    Well I'm in high school already. But I need this for homework I'm failing bioligy and I need to get good grades in order to pass.
    What's parasitism,mutualism, and commensalism!?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2009, 06:38 PM
    Hi, brizeida!

Those sort of topics should be covered in whatever textbook or textbooks that you're using.

Please click on the following searches and read and study the information that you'll find on some of the sites that are listed on the searches.

Parasitism - Google Search

Mutualism, Definition - Google Search

Commensalism, Definition - Google Search

Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2009, 06:42 PM
    whats reddie!??!
    Hi again, brizeida!

I just gave to you a "Greenie". It's the opposite of a "Reddie". They're part of the rating of posters here for information that's factually correct or not. If someone is factually incorrect, they might get a "Reddie" from someone.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Algebra 1 (ninth grade) [ 14 Answers ]

I need help. I have a major 9th grade algebra test tomorrow.I need help solving for example: 2/3n-6=12 how do I solve for "n"? 3x+41 = -5x-7 how do I solve for x? 9+4(3X+1)=11 how do I solve for x?

Math homework ninth grade [ 4 Answers ]

3+4x=3x+2 ? neeed help.

What going On [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Umm.. Im 5days Late And I Took I Pregnant. Test And It Come Out Negative And I Been Using The Restroom Like Crazy And Sleep And Eating A lot! Can Someone Please Help Me!

Ninth standard gravitation. [ 1 Answers ]

A ball is thrown vertically upwards with a velocity of 49m/s. Calculate (a)the maximum height to which it rises. (b)the total timeit takes to return to the surface of the earth. :confused:

Ninth grade relationship with guy with girlfriend [ 5 Answers ]

Ok... that guy that was in my last forum... Im still crazy about him!! (we did some stuff together last night.. but he STILL has a gilfriend) he felt bad... but my problem is... my parents.. and his parents now are getting involved... My mom doesn't want me getting together with him AT ALL...

View more questions Search