Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Jul 13, 2009, 11:11 AM
    Baby names?
    My husband and I have finally decided on baby names. But we are having issues with middle names. We have Camilla and Alexander for the girl and boy names. Any suggestions? We both liked Francesca for a girl middle name. I think it would be cute to call her Frankie. My mother thinks its horrible and my child will hate me when she grows up,(if it's a girl).

Suggestions?
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 11:21 AM

Your child won't hate you. (Umm... ignore those few teenager years though, =P) Trust me, if you raise your kids right, they will love you no matter what you name them. In fact, I know a francine that prefers to go by franky. (just for refrence)
    The fact that you are worrying so much about this shows that you have put a lot of thought and care into this.

If I may ask, why have you decided on these names?
    Katt1997 Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Jul 13, 2009, 11:33 AM

In my opinion, I like both of those names! For the girl, I like your idea of Camilla Francesca! Hope this helps!
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 11:43 AM

I like the names you have picked.

Your mother will get over it when she sees the baby,my mother nearly passed out when I told her my children's names,and when my first was born she said quote 'the poor child'..

Stick to your guns,love the names!

Jul 13, 2009, 11:45 AM
    We decided on Alexander because we both have loved the name for years, it's not a common name among our friends or their children, and it's a strong name. Also because my husband has a running joke about our child leading an empire, ha ha, Rome, ha ha Alexander.

I suggested Camilla because I liked it, and the moment I said it he came up with about 12 nicknames for her. (He is one of those people who has 15 nicknames for his cats, it goes with the personality.) We both wanted a name for our baby that is a little different, but that can be shortened if we or they ever wanted the option.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 11:49 AM

Marie goes with almost anything :) my middle name is marie (jennie marie) and I gave it to my daughter (ayla marie) and my sister in law gave it to her daughter, (anna marie) and I'm considering it for any future girls which will be Zeezah Marie.

Don't worrie about your kids hating you. They won't. They will be so used to the name by the time they get to that age, it won't even bother them anymore.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 11:53 AM
    You can spend a lot of time debating middle names, but they are rarely used.

If you like the first and the middle name together, it isn't often that a child goes by a nickname for their middle name, unless you use it regularly.

Jul 13, 2009, 12:04 PM
    We had talked about Bethany-Joy for a girl a few days ago. It's our mother's names together. I know it may sound awful but the double-name thing has always made me hesitate, you only hear it when people make jokes most of the time. But I really liked it...

As for the middle name thing, in both of our families we have always done middle names, mine is my great-grandma's name. No middle name? I don't think we had considered that as an option. My niece has 3 names herself. We'd like a middle name, but not overkill... haha
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 12:13 PM

@Jennie: Your last name wouldn't happen to be Drennan, would it? I know a Ayla Marie, who's mom is named Jennie... xD

Anyway, Chey, the names you picked aren't too common, but they are fine names. There is nothing wrong with them. At the very least, do you even HAVE to have a middle name? Sometimes, children will attach themselves to their middle names, but no matter what you eventually choose, they will still love you the same in the long run.
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chey5782 View Post
    We had talked about Bethany-Joy for a girl a few days ago. It's our mother's names together. I know it may sound awful but the double-name thing has always made me hesitate, you only hear it when people make jokes most of the time. But I really liked it...

As for the middle name thing, in both of our families we have always done middle names, mine is my great-grandma's name. No middle name? I don't think we had considered that as an option. My niece has 3 names herself. We'd like a middle name, but not overkill... haha
    I wasn't referring to not giving a middle name, just that often you put so much thought into a middle name and it's rarely heard outside the family. So if you like Francesca, don't fret too much over people calling her Frankie, most outside of the immediate family will not even hear her middle name, unless you make it her nickname.

My daughter was name Kylee Christine, with the thought we would call her KC, no one ever has though.

Jul 13, 2009, 01:14 PM
    Good point. I must over think things like that. I always loved my name growing up, I fear giving my child a name they would hate. My sister is Joanne and everyone calls her Jo though, so I suppose they do with ti what they want, eh?
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 01:48 PM
    I think nicknames are fun, I was always envious of the kids that have nicknames. With a name like Laura, my parents went as far as to tell someone I didn't live there when I was at home and someone called and asked for Laurie. Then yelled at me because that wasn't my given name.

I think that most children grow up and dislike their name. I disliked mine and my son, who is 12, expresses dislike with the name Grant. You can worry but in the end, you pick a name that means something to you and you like.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 02:00 PM
    Try this site:

Popular baby names

It's the U.S. Census' most popular names list, going back to 1879, we used it, and it's got some great choices. Good luck and enjoy your baby.

Jul 13, 2009, 02:01 PM
    Neither of my other two has expressed this, so I am hoping this one won't. I HATE being called Jan more than anything, it reminds me of an old lady, so now my friends call me Janny and I scowl. Still, it's better than Tee-Tee... Thanks to my little bro. *le sigh*
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 02:04 PM
    That is why I always hated Laura and probably why my son dislikes Grant, because it seems like an older generation name. Grant is meeting more Grants and learning to be a bit more accepting and he is happy that he doesn't share his name with half his class. :)

Kylee on the other hand, I couldn't have even begun to realize how hugely popular her name was when I was naming her. I hadn't heard of it.

I don't really think you can do it wrong. ;)
    nobabes Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 02:41 PM

Sophie/sophia fab name, has served me very very well, greek and means wisdom!

Jul 13, 2009, 02:53 PM
    Ooohhhhh Camilla Sophia... That would be a name to lend to the ages!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baby girl names [ 16 Answers ]

What are some unusual girl names for a newborn. Jeremy

Need baby names. [ 4 Answers ]

My mother is pregnant and we can't come up with a middle name for the baby. Were naming the baby Cassidy, It means clever. We want a middle name that the meaning will go nicely with the first. Also, We want a unique name. Not something like Ann, Mary, rose, Jane. So on, So forth. Any ideas?

Baby Boy Names [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I'm due in 7 more weeks and I do not have a naem picked out for my precious baby boy. I'm looking for something nice and unique... please give lots! Thanks you guys!

Baby Boy names [ 27 Answers ]

Could you list maybe up to 3 very nice and maybe unique names. The cutest name you could think of for a baby boy! :)

Baby Names [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone I am not pregnant!! Today my boyfriend and I were discusing some baby names. I was just wondering what you named your babies or have any good ideas for baby names. I have come up with Adriana, Augustino, Carmella, Johnny and Elle this is were I stopped. This is just a cute...

View more questions Search