What is Povety?
    Lets define Poverty.
    What is Poverty ?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2006, 09:47 PM
    According to Dictionary.com

pov·er·ty

1. The state of being poor; lack of the means of providing material needs or comforts.
    2. Deficiency in amount; scantiness: “the poverty of feeling that reduced her soul” (Scott Turow).
    3. Unproductiveness; infertility: the poverty of the soil.
    4. Renunciation made by a member of a religious order of the right to own property.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 11:46 AM
    Hello isha:

Poverty is when you can't afford a computer, to ask online about poverty.

excon
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Oct 19, 2006, 01:10 PM
    I wonder if the structural basis of poverty is acceptable as an answer to your question…then here is a try at answering your question…According to the educational source of my opinion: Social Problems a Critical Approach written by the Kenneth J. Neubeck and Mary Alice Neubeck… Why are there poor? We must first look over the personality characteristics, assessments and hereditary makeup of the poor. In shorter down to the neighbor wording of this expression…it is not the personality of the individual or should we consider the education level of the individual or the color of the skin in determining rather those having these characteristics are economically weak or most likely to be in poverty. For poverty is considered the fault of the group…We are living in a system that has blamed the victim for the lack of economic success. Example the mother of the President of the United States Mrs. Barbara Bush…stated the poor that were stranded at a football stadium were living better there - than at their homes …the population homes were destroyed during a natural disaster (I am paraphrasing the words here). People are in poverty because they are not able to sell their labor or their incomes are too low.

“…the organization of the economy and its machinations; the profit oriented decisions made by top executives in business and industry; government policy; discrimination on the basis of age, sex, ace and ethnicity-all bear on the poor and tend to be outside their immediate control. The propensity to blame the victims of poverty for the economic deprivation under which they labor, while consistent with dominant values and beliefs regarding inequality, ignores all too many realities. Under the existing structure of our society, any of us could be poor if deprived of adequate means of subsistence by virtue of forces and decisions originating outside our control.
    Just as our economic system perpetuates the privilege of the ownership class, so does it perpetuate the life situation of the poor. Many members of the ownership class earn more in one year than poor persons can reasonably expect to accumulate in a lifetime-a stark reflection of the extremes of economic inequality in the United States…”

The foundation of poverty is not the victim… but, is instead the natural history of the political economic system and the way the system handles it's population.

There are many articles available that speak to the actual experiences of the some one or group of people who are experiencing poverty. One source is the collection of articles from the University of Chicago Press, article: “Lives on the Edge: Single Mothers and their Children in the Other America”… [1993]
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Oct 20, 2006, 09:25 PM
    There are different degrees of poverty just as there are different levels of prosperity.
    In the USA you have a very large middle class with a small lower class and a smaller upper class of which the very rich compose a very small segment. In short, most of the USA population is living well and would be considered rich by third world standards. In fact, even those considered poor here in the USA would be considered wealthy in many third-world countries. So a definition of poverty is of necessity a culturally determined subjective evaluation.

Extreme poverty, however, is one in which, as you said, the person is barely able to provide for adequate sustenance, and shelter. That is applicable to all countries regardless of culture and is based on our common humanity.

BTW

It is illogical to expect people to sit and die quietly without making an effort to survive in one way or another.
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Oct 20, 2006, 10:14 PM
    This is an interesting question. When I lived in Korea in early 1970s, we often didn't have food and had to borrow it from a neighbor or a small mom & pop grocery store nearby. We went hungry often but didn't consider ourselves poor because others around our neighborhood had it worse.

In 1976, our family immigrated to a poor section of LA and lived a poor life by US standard. However, we never went hungry because food was relatively cheep in US. It never occurred to us that we were poor.

So, while I lived most of my childhood being "poor," I never realized I did until years later.
    isha_miranda Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Oct 23, 2006, 06:06 PM
    I like all the comments that you all made it.

Some times poverty cannot described as

1. Not making any effort to over come the existence

2. Due to poor economy in the country.

3 Number of mouth living under the same roof.

4 Lack of knowledge on self sufficiency.

5 Or any kind of Un rest in the country could drag the population to poverty.

Each of us may have experience in differently. But overall non of the experts in the world were unable to bring substantial method and control on either preventing or considerable reduction on poverty in the world.

Why we unable define what is “ Poverty” .

Poverty differ from one to another, one country to another, one nation to another

It is not only the food
    It is not only water
    It is not only cloth and shelter
    It is not only money
    It is not only poor economy

It is the all above to archive within the time of your life for comfortable
    Livelihood.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Oct 24, 2006, 07:45 AM
    I would define poverty as the inverse to 'freedom of mobility'. The less mobility, the greater the poverty!

Hence, the group with the greatest degree of poverty are criminals in jail. Makes sense to me.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Oct 24, 2006, 07:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bhayne
    I would define poverty as the inverse to 'freedom of mobility'. The less mobility, the greater the poverty!!

Hence, the group with the greatest degree of poverty are criminals in jail. Makes sense to me.
    I like this answer and Rkim's post eludes to it too. I like to draw attention to the big difference between being broke (not poverty) and being poor (essentially poverty). The former has hope of changing those circumstances, the other does not. Over my lifetime, I have experienced being broke, even profoundly so (couldn't afford to eat and had to seek assistance from charity organizations) but I have never been poor. However having been stuck in other ways that are equally as basic, I can relate to it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2006, 08:13 AM
    The definition of poverty depends on who is doing the defining and WHY. Being poor refers to a condition where one cannot provide the minimum necessary to sustain a certain standard of living. But that standard can vary depending on where you live and who is applying the standard.
    isha_miranda Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Nov 5, 2006, 12:20 PM
    Broke is not poverty. Poor is part of poverty.
    Poverty carries lot of thoughts and work.

But poverty also has certain guid line.

Most countries poverty rise through dectorship. Funds and assets has been abused by the
    Leaders for their own wealth.

Another reason U2 Band Leader's campange brinning down the poverty need to included the " How to lead the country on to good governance and overcome the mismanagment"

What we do not see is lack of governning the ability around the poor nation.

Over population, poor health not only the part of the poverty.
    It is lack of good governning.
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Nov 5, 2006, 12:29 PM
    POVERTY:

1. The state of being poor; lack of the means of providing material needs or comforts.

2. Deficiency in amount; scantiness: "the poverty of feeling that reduced her soul" Scott Turow.

3. Unproductiveness; infertility: the poverty of the soil.

4. Renunciation made by a member of a religious order of the right to own property.

[Middle English poverte, from Old French, from Latin pauperts, from pauper, poor; see pau-1 in Indo-European roots.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Nov 9, 2006, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by isha_miranda
    funds and assets has been abused by the
    leaders for their own wealth.
    Gee, it sounds like everyone not in politics is in poverty!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2006, 09:00 AM
    Hello:

Poverty is what you have, if you can't afford a computer to read this.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search