Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sanjay_Rebirth Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2009, 11:15 PM
    Singing Voice & Vocal Strength
    Can a professional please help me regain my Singing Voice. I have recently formed a band wherein I am the lead singer. After a long break of may be 20 years I we have started our practice sessions but I find that my vocal strength is weakened up. I am a 46 years old who drink and smoke even though I do not abuse. During practice sessions I find that my voice becomes rough and it breaks just when I have done two to three songs. Please advise if this is happening due to the smoking and drinking. Please advice if my Singing Voice can be regained. Is there any thing in particular that I should be doing to protect my voice and also to regain my voice. Will quitting smoking and drinking help me.

Your advice towards this request will be highly appreciated.

Please help

Sanjay
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2009, 06:40 AM

Hi, Sanjay!

Quitting smoking and drinking should surely help you in many regards, not just in producing the vocal sound that you would like. If your not able to quit the smoking, then I would suggest you cut down doing it as much as you can. Definitely don't smoke the day that you'll be having a rehearsal.

I direct a group of men in singing barbershop styled music. We're part of the largest organization for men singing in the world that comprises over 30,000 members, the Barbershop Harmony Society. I've also taught singing in schools, churches and privately for a number of decades.

What voice part would you say that you sing? Also, do you do any vocalizations before you really sing songs, please?

Thanks!
    alphybet Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2009, 01:25 AM
    Sanjay,
    Iam a professional singer and vocal coach for over 20 years, and I can tell you that I have worked with students who have had vocal nodes and this attributed to their lack of stamina. First you might go to a ear nose and throat doctor to make sure you don't have vocal nodes, secondly I would suggest a homopathic opinion and get off smoking this does damage your throat it is a carcenagetic substance that is not healthy for anyone especially a singer. Hope this helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nasal voice. Singing/Talkign from nose [ 1 Answers ]

*Wasnt sure which catagorey thigs goes in but here it goes* Hey everyone. SO I was on YouTube watching videos, and some girl was singing, MANY people commented her saying "Dont sing from your nose" "Use your diaphragm" (I don't even know how to use my Diaphragm lol) The girl sang good...

How to improve singing voice? [ 4 Answers ]

My singins voice is a bit nasely.. I'm really into music and guitars.. I want to be a singer but my voice doesn't come out right because its nasely.. how do I improve it?

Vocal (singing) lessons and parents. [ 7 Answers ]

I live in Greece and I'm 13 years old.I really want to take vocal (singing) lessons but my parents do not allow me to.They say that music in Greece doesn't have a future.Plus,they say they don't have enough money to "throw away",as I will never be able to get a singing career.I will not leave...

Vocal cat in heat [ 1 Answers ]

My cat is in heat and is meowing(roaring) all through the night. Also she goes into heat cycles very irregularly. She will have a 7 day cycle of heat then be clear for a few days and then start up again. After this cycle is done then she is good for a few weeks then she goes again. Is this normal...

View more questions Search