Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaellis1969 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2009, 04:16 PM
    Copper to pvc pipe adapter
    I live in an old house that has copper plumbing. One of the pipes in the upstairs bathroom floor has a big leak. Is there a way to connect an existing copper pipe using a pvc adapter and let me cut the bad part of the pipe out and replace it with pvc?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 12, 2009, 04:23 PM
    Hi Jaellis:

Is this for water or waste pipes..?

If water pipes, the best bet will be to purchase a sharkbite PUSH FIT fitting at home depot or Lowe's (called gatorbite fitting at lowes) and use this to do the work you want to do. Just need the sharkbite fittings, a copper tubing cutter, copper pipe (TYPE L) and some plumber's sandcloth and you should be able to do whatever you need without soldering. They make a repair coupling (slip coupling) for repair work... see image. It may be good here.

If for waste pipes then they make a SHIELDED CLAMP that transitions from plastic to PVC... see image. These are made specifically to transition from different pipe types.

Let me know if you have more questions...

MARK
    Attached Images

jaellis1969 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2009, 04:27 PM
    Do these fit 2 inch pipes?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 12, 2009, 04:31 PM
    Yes... be sure to purchase the shielded clamp I posted... NOT the all rubber fernco type as these are intended for underground work.

You want to purchase a 2" copper x 2" PVC shielded clamp... available at most home supply stores OR definitely found at any plumbing supply store... see image.

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advantage of ms pipe over copper pipe in hvac [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know the advantage of ms pipe over copper pipe in chilled watter lines in Hvac

Copper L pipe to black iron pipe [ 19 Answers ]

Hello This is a natural gas application. Can flexible L copper pipe be coupled to black iron pipe and then buried? I will paint and wrap the black pipe before burial. Thanks Ruko

Galvanized pipe to either Copper/CPVC pipe [ 14 Answers ]

I had a leak in my cold water feed which happens to be galvanized pipe. It was between 2 floors and I cut out the affected section. I am going to replace the cut out section with either copper or CPVC. But how does one connect unthreaded galvanized pipe to the after mentioned pipes? I don't know if...

Copper pipe to iron pipe [ 2 Answers ]

How would you connect a 1/2" copper pipe to a 1/2" galvanized iron pipe that has been cut and has no threads? Do I need to re-thread the iron pipe, screw on a brass attachement and solder the other end to the copper? If so, what is the name of the tool use to re-thread the iron?

A/C not cooling, Small Copper pipe COLD and Large Copper pipe room temp. [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into a newly constructed townhome and the a/c units are of course new. The A/c is not cooling at all. The machine inside turns on as well as the one outside. The inside A/C makes a strange sucking sound kind of like if you were sipping something out of a cup with a straw and you ran...

View more questions Search