Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Jul 12, 2009, 11:47 AM
    Malwarebytes vs. SuperAntiSpyware
    I've been told that it's a good idea to run at least 2 different anti-spyware applications to capture the maximum amount of bad stuff.

I use my CA Security Suite which comes from my ISP as my primary, and I've always used SpyBot as my secondary program.

Recently, I did some online research which suggests that SpyBot has become outdated. It is incredibly slow as well.

The 2 big hitters that seem to get the most recommendations are Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware.

I've stopped using SpyBot in favor of SuperAntiSpyware.

Any opinions between Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware? Or another that is better?

I don't run it in real time, as I run my CA Anti-Spyware in real time, and I'm told that it would cause a conflict.

Side Note: Consumer Reports rates CA near the bottom of their list. When I spoke with CA about this, I was told that MicroSoft actually uses CA in their offices, so how bad could it be. Hard to believe...

Thanks...
    Stasia420 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2009, 12:18 PM
    Get Ad-Aware by Lavasoft. Use the free version

Jul 12, 2009, 12:59 PM

Can you tell me why you would recommend Ad-Aware over Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 12, 2009, 01:17 PM
    As ever relying on one anti malware scanner isn't a good idea..
    Now I wouldn't bother with adaware as I feel there are better products out there.
    Personally is use Spybot (1.6) as my active defence, but do a regular scan with Malwarebytes.

I'm not too sure about superanti as I haven't really given it a good work out, nor read too much about it.
    Does seem a bit of a rigmarole to actually get to the free version as they are attempting to push the subscriptions heavily. That puts me off from the start.

Jul 12, 2009, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I've heard great things about Malwarebytes and SuperAnti.

Here's a link to cnet to download the free version of SuperAnti. They don't seem to push the pay version there.

SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

This site also gives a brief synopsis of the application. Also, on this site, I noticed the download ratio of SuperAnti to Malwarebytes is 3 to 1, for whatever that's worth.

So Curlyben, I read that Spybot uses some older technology and doesn't have as many updates as SuperAnti and Malwarebytes. Have you heard anything about that? Also, it takes me 2 hours to run a Spybot scan, vs 45 min to run a SuperAnti (full) scan. Your thoughts?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2009, 06:41 AM

I had some nasty spyware on my PC a while back.
    MalwareBytes pretty much saved it!
    Love that program combined with my AVG I haven't had a problem since.

Jul 13, 2009, 09:07 AM

Thanks...
    0EntitY Posts: 61, Reputation: 5

Jul 13, 2009, 10:58 AM

Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware work as a team. What one does not get the other one usually does. Another big hitter is A-squared, it takes longer to update but I would not be without it.
    techsavy27 Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Jul 15, 2009, 04:23 AM

Use both because Malwarebytes is for malware and Superantiapyware is for spyware.
    There should be no conflicts with another antivirus.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search