Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Oct 16, 2006, 12:30 PM
    Shower stall vapor barrier
    I'm building a new tiled shower stall with cement board backer. I've read that a vapor barrier should be placed over the wall studs before the board is installed, because the tile/cement board combination is not waterproof. We have an acrylic shower receptor, the directions for which also suggest a vapor barrier. I plan to use six mil plastic sheeting for the vapor barrier.

That's all fine, but what happens to vapor/water that get behind the cement board and stops at the vapor barrier? It sounds like I could develop a lake - probably not a good thing. How should the vapor barrier be installed so that moisture will drain/evaporate. (These are interior walls.)

Thanks in advance for the help!
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Oct 18, 2006, 07:03 AM
    Good question.

The Tile Council Handbook says a vapor barrier should be used when using cement board in wet areas (15lb roofing felt or 4 mil poly)

What you can do is set your shower pan first. What work well underneath that is "shower pan liner" sheet that is used in a mud bed application.
    Set your pan first then place the vapor barrier on the walls and extend the barrier over the lip of the shower pan. Then install the cement board.
    fantom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2010, 08:54 AM
    Great answer skiberger that is exactly what I do in all shower installs that use a pan liner!! That is why a lot of installers don't like to use a vapour barrier on the inside wall.if only they knew how important this barrier really is.structural damage to a home IS NOT CHEAP to fix!! make sure to overlap at least 2 to 3 feet and glue them.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 21, 2010, 03:05 PM

Do not trim the bottom edge of your 6 mil until after you allow it to lay over/inside of the lip of the pan. The cement board and tile also hang over the lip so if water ever does get through the tile, grout and cement board it will drain onto the lip and into the shower. Your acrylic pan installation instructions should show this in a diagram. Also check if they recommend setting the pan in Structolite or plaster.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

From tub to shower stall [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I will be remodeling my bathroom soon and will be converting from a tub to a shower stall. It is ground level on a cement slab. My question is should I have to move the drain at all or can I pour and form a drain pan with the drain in it's current "tub standard" position/distance from wall?

Turning walking shower stall into bathtub/shower combo. [ 4 Answers ]

Question: Current shower drain (2" pipe) runs 5 feet, under slab, to vent stack (5" cast iron vent pipe) of toilet. Will need to move the drain 3ft to wall for new tub. After moving the drain, the complete length of the pipe will still be around 5 feet. We will have to reduce the drain line...

Help with shower stall installation [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am going to change out my shower stall and my house is pretty old. I just need to know the basics on how to install the shower pan and is there anything that I should be made aware of before I tear out the old pan?

Moisture barrier under cement board in shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm framing in a new stall shower, have looked at web sites on the subject and most experts suggest putting a moisture barrier under the cement board. I can see why that would be good. One company, which produces a thick (15 mil) membrane for this application, also shows a detail in which a...

Shower stall on a slab [ 7 Answers ]

View more questions Search