Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cleaninglady81 Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Jul 11, 2009, 06:57 PM
    Accused of Stealing
    I am on State Probation and I have been for 2 years now and still have 2 more to go. I started my own business due to I have to work and no one wants to hire someone with a record not to mention I have 4 babies 9 and under. I have never been accused of stealing from a customer until a week and a half ago, I got a call 2 days after I cleaned this lady's house and ask if I had taken nearly 500 bucks from her home. I said no and I hoped she would find it or at least figure out what happened. I then find out she took it to the police on the following Wed. and this all supposedly happen on Saturday, Now I am getting called by a detective asking me to come down for lie detectors test and questioning. I haven' t stated nothing to the police except I didn't do it, I never seen the money, and there were other people in the home with me while I cleaned it. She has 3 teenagers under the same roof. What am I facing my Hubby says they have nothing{and they don't there is NO evidence whatso ever) other than I cleaned there and that was it. He says they have to have something more in order to come and arrest me, is this true?
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2009, 07:06 PM

Get a lawyer ask him if you should take the test. It , from all the TV shows is not admissible in court (dont know if that is 100% sure sice I saw it on tv). Maybe just to clear your name. But again check it out with a lawyer

Jul 11, 2009, 07:09 PM

I no they are not admissible in court but can I get arrested if I choice not to take it I have had lawyers tell me even the inocent can fail those things.

Jul 11, 2009, 07:18 PM
    What happns now
    No evidence not even sure if there was money stolen Detective wants answer and I am on Paper for 2 more yrs. Do I have to talk to him and can I be arrested for not talking and for not submitting to a polygraph If he had enough to arrest me wouldn't he had already done so? What is going on with this guy he has had the report in front of him nearly 2 weeks now.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2009, 07:20 PM

Please reply to your original post. It is hard to follow follow ups all over the boards.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2009, 07:23 PM

Please keep all your topic on one post

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crimin...ow-374538.html

Ask your lawyer if they will take polygraphs of the accusers and their kids.

They should be asked things like are you sure you didn't misplace the money? Are you sure nobody else could have taken it?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 11, 2009, 07:24 PM
    <threads merged>
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 11, 2009, 08:50 PM

First if this is in the US, the tests have proved so unreliable that they can not be used in criminal court trials.

I have seen because of issues, cause people to fail them. One girl said she was never in the military, the test said she lied, so she could not get a job she wanted, she was never in, but grew up in a military family.

So other guilt, or other issues of things perhaps taken may cause a issue

You should not even be driving past the police station without your attorney there. Never ever talk to them without an attorney present.

Jul 11, 2009, 08:54 PM
    Ok so can I be violated for not talking to them anymore then and if I don't talk to them can they arrest me off what they got?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 11, 2009, 09:00 PM

They may only arrest you if they get an indictment from a grand jury ( at least in many areas) or at least in others have enough evidence to give them cause.

You can be violated only for a violation of the rules of your probation. I would want to keep my PO in the loop, so he is not getting a call from the police first

Jul 11, 2009, 09:51 PM

Can she violate me for being questioned how does that work? I am in Tennessee by the way

Jul 12, 2009, 12:04 AM

I also want to know If there is NO other evidence other than the fact I cleaned this house will it go any further. Or as long as I don't say anything else is this pretty much over. Because he hasn't arrested me yet so he obviously hasn't got anything to do so right? Or Wrong?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2009, 05:44 AM

Hello cleaner:

Do NOT take the test. Do NOT talk to the cops. They CANNOT violate you for keeping your mouth shut. They CANNOT convict you on her word alone.

excon

Jul 12, 2009, 08:32 AM
    So is this pretty much over then do I have to get a lawyer to tell them I have nothing more to say, I have heard they can arrest me on probable cause, suspecion, or just not co-operating with the detective. Is any of this true. And what about my past record can they make an arrest based of this as well? Ur help is much appreciated The detective will be back in his office Monday night.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2009, 08:43 AM

Hello again, Cleaner:

Please RE-READ what I said. I haven't changed my mind. My advice was to DO NOTHING! If the cop invites you down to the station, politely REFUSE.

Look. You ask questions, such as "can they???". But, this isn't about what they CAN do, it's about what they WILL do. And, they're going to DO, what they're going to DO. You can't stop them. All you can do, is DO the stuff that protects YOU.

In this case, doing NOTHING, is the thing to DO. IF, however, THEY DO something, like CHARGE you or ARREST you, then you DO something to fight that.

But, I'm telling you, with what you told us, they can do NOTHING to you, so don't help 'em.

excon

Jul 12, 2009, 10:42 AM
    OK Thanks for the info it helps I have just been told so many different things and I was told they could arrest me due to I was on probation from Idenity Theft and forgery. And I have also been told they can make me sit in jail until a court date even with no evidence. I am so freakin confused I have also read that they have to get an inditment before they can arrest if I don't talk but is that true even with a theft under 500? I am sorry to keep asking these things just seems like you know what your talking about, so any patients and help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jul 12, 2009, 12:14 PM

And when I call my PO what do I need to say to her and what is too much to say?

Jul 12, 2009, 03:11 PM

Huh? Now that just really doesn't make sense.

Jul 12, 2009, 03:12 PM
    Are you speaking from personal experience or just blowing smoke out of your ? I will wait and hopefully excon will post a reply to this if I had to put my eggs in a basket on here it would be his. What do you say Excon?
    wick2185 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jul 12, 2009, 03:20 PM

I'm in school for criminal justice. They won't be able to do anything if there is no proof that you stole the money or if there is no evidence. I believe this whole "lie detector" is just a scare tactic for hopes that you would come clean. But if you want to be safe, get a lawyer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accused of fraudulence! [ 2 Answers ]

My "boy" cousin filed a fraudulence case at the immigration against my "girl" cousin claiming that my "girl" cousin gave him her necklace that she pawned which he got and paid for at the pawnshop a long time ago. Is it possible for him to do that even if there was no written agrreement?

Due process for accused [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone please explain something to me. If everyone is allowed to have legal representation for an accused criminal offense carrying jailtime, and the judge tells the accused they have the right to a court appointed attorney if they cannot afford one... how can they deny the accused an...

My husband was accused of stealing $4000 from his job. What can I do? [ 21 Answers ]

I have a long story that I am desperate for advice on and I am hoping that you will read it all... I have a question that I am desperate for help with. My husband was recently accused of taking money from his work. He works for a gas station and has been employed there for 3 years....

Accused [ 1 Answers ]

I have been falsley accused of stealing. No one seen me do it or no cameras to back it up. All they have is voided transactions and me working. But the voided transactions were not under my name and I'm not the only one who works there? My boss said he will help me but I have to admit it and then...

Being accused [ 1 Answers ]

The police have not come and got a statement yet do I give them one? What do I do? I didn't do what I'm accused of

View more questions Search