Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leslie3 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 10:44 AM
    Prefab shower base for basement
    Hi all! Totally new at this... help!

Tore out old free standing shower unit in basement. It was tied into the concrete drain with a simple 2' pvc pipe. I'm replacing it soon, but newer styles have "fins" or reinforcements on bottom of base which means I need to build a platform. I'm really not sure this drainage, though, is proper. The concrete floor just has a hole in the ground and my ac condensation drains into it by pvc pipe running along the floor.

What to do? By the way, single mom here! Any help of simplied directions terms welcomed!
    darrel1953 Posts: 86, Reputation: 12

Oct 16, 2006, 10:38 PM
    Hole in ground is not good. You are going to have to reveal a good connection. Follow where the pvc pipe went from the old shower pan. You should find a pipe there and then be able to make a connection. It's not really simple. It's not really dificult either. Let me know if you need more help. Never drain any thing into a hole. Find the pipe. You may need help. I would like you to read an article I wrote on traps. http://www.plumbinglessons.com/sup/trap.htm

Oct 17, 2006, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by leslie3
    Hi all! totally new at this... help!

Tore out old free standing shower unit in basement. It was tied into the concrete drain with a simple 2' pvc pipe. I'm replacing it soon, but newer styles have "fins" or reinforcements on bottom of base which means I need to build a platform. I'm really not sure this drainage, tho, is proper. The concrete floor just has a hole in the ground and my ac condensation drains into it by pvc pipe running along the floor.

what to do?! By the way, single mom here! any help of simplied directions terms welcomed!
    OK so hole in the ground does sound bad... it is in the concrete floor, it's a drain! I have 2. the one furthest away is for the washing machine to drain into. The other one, which I want to use is a 4" opening and appears to be an iron (?) pipe/drain. there is no pipe portruding above the concrete, its flush and just...open! the old shower used to drain into it. never had a problem with backing up...the old shower had an elbow pvc piple to get to the drain leading from the shower base. the shower base being 32 x 32 and drain in middle of base didnt line up with drain hole in floor which is 38" from doorway of bathroom and 10 or 12" from wall. So previous owners just did their own thang! Yikes, I am so plumbing terminology challenged! Sorry!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 17, 2006, 10:45 AM
    I'm assuming that the old shower drained into a floor drain on the floor. Let's see if it's trapped. Run your hand down the pipe. I there's a elbo you are not trapped and must bust the floor drain out, ( no trap means that you have a direct connection to the sewer allowing sewer gas to escape. If there's a return bend down there then you're trapped and you may platform the shower and arm over to the floor drain for a indirect waste. No vent will be needed with this type of installation. Good luck, Tom

Oct 17, 2006, 11:22 AM
    Yay, yuck... how far down the pipe? Hopefully relatively short distance! Sorry, total girlie moment! Eeeewwwwww
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 17, 2006, 02:35 PM
    OK Leslie, Let me make it a little easier.
    Shine a light down into the floor drain. If you see water then chances are that you have a trap. If it's dry then there's a elbo down there that must be replaced by a trap. (Sound better then sticking yo hand down there? )
    Cheers, Tom

Oct 18, 2006, 07:32 AM
    Thanks for bearing through my girliness! (LOL) I can handle shining a light down da hole!

This is a really neat-o site! This is going to come in quite handy for me... any regrets guys? (heeheehee)

Leslie!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing shower base [ 6 Answers ]

Tom, I have a new question. In setting a shower base, on concrete, how much mortar should a person spread, just a couple inches around the drain? Or, should it be more than that. Also, what's the deal in the instructions about putting plastic over the mortar? The base wouldn't be stuck down with...

Shower base... [ 7 Answers ]

Not sure if this is a pluming question or tiling question, so sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. I'm still working on my master bathroom project (some of you may remember me from my "moving a toilet" question). Well, everything is roughed in in its new locations and I am starting to...

Removing shower base in basement [ 6 Answers ]

We are replacing a shower in the basement 32 x 48. We finally got the base off by cutting around it to get it out because the center drain connection was so attached we couldn't remove it any other way. I have photos attached. We are chiseling away now to get to the bottom of this brass drain...

Installing a shower base in the basement [ 17 Answers ]

We bought a home that already had a sewage pump installed in the basement with three drains already installed in the concrete floor that leads to this pump's tank. One was for a toilet (which is covered), another is for a sink (which at present is in use) and the third is a drain pipe (rubber...

Concrete Shower Base [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to replace what was an all plastic shower stall located in my basement with a more substantial structure. All of the plumbing is in place but as part of my project I have studded out one wall so that I could re-route the hot and cold water lines inside the new wall. Because of this...

View more questions Search