Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stormenjude Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2009, 12:31 PM
    Receiving 401k
    I retired on 12/31/2008 . I notified my employer and was told that I would receive the funds from my 401k in June 2009. I have been in contact with the company and so far I am getting the run around. Is there a certain amount of time in which these funds must be released?What can I do?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2009, 12:33 PM

You say you retired but you didn't state your age. Your age has more to do with you collecting your 401K than if you retired or not.

Jul 11, 2009, 12:41 PM
    Receiving 401k
    Twinkie - I was 62 at my retirement
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2009, 01:08 PM

What's the question? You can take money out of the 401K (after age 59 1/2) without penalty whether you've retired or not. Remember that the year you take the money, you will pay income tax on it so don't take out more than you need for any given year.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 11, 2009, 01:36 PM

To post a follow-up please use the Answer this question options, not asking a new question. As you can see without seeing the original question your second post made no sense.. I have merged the threads for you.

This is usually bound by the rules of the plan. Some plans value the accounts at at specific intervals so can't issue a check before then.

Jul 12, 2009, 09:30 AM

not really. I've been in the plan for 20 years and can't find the original papers. There should be a time limit. They are saying that the 401k has lost a third of its value since the first of the year. I would think that ists value should be the amount that I retired with.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 12, 2009, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stormenjude View Post
    I would think that ists value should be the amount that I retired with.
    You think wrong. The value of your distribution is the value of the plan at the time of distribution, not the time of retirement. The time of distribution should be the next valuation period after you apply for the distribution. As I said, some plans are valued on a monthly, quarterly or even semi-nanual basis. Most plans have lead time so you have to apply for a distribution x number of days prior to the valuation period.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 06:28 AM

Which company have you been in touch with? You should be working with the plan administrator, NOT your former employer - do you know who that is? Are these the people who are giving you the "run around?" And what exactly are they saying?

Jul 13, 2009, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You think wrong. The value of your distribution is the value of the plan at the time of distribution, not the time of retirement. The time of distribution should be the next valuation period after you apply for the distribution. As I said, some plans are valued on a monthly, quarterly or even semi-nanual basis. Most plans have lead time so you have to apply for a distribution x number of days prior to the valuation period.
    Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I receiving enough? [ 31 Answers ]

I am a custodial parent Non custodial gets every other weekend three hours on Wednesday. Three weeks in summer and split holidays and ped days if they land on the Friday or Monday of his weekend. I pay daycare. I am finding it hard to support my child on my 27.000 salary before taxes. The father...

Receiving an inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

Do I have to notify the tax authorities that I have received an inheritance?

Receiving a summons [ 5 Answers ]

My stepson is 27 and does not live with us (over 5 years now). He totaled a friend of his car and has not contacted him to make some kind of payment plan. The friend and his girlfriend are now suing him and sent a summons to our home for him appear in court December 2007. Since he does not...

View more questions Search