Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 17, 2009, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MWilken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MWilken View Post
    Don't you have anything esle to do as to attack me, I have my opinion and YOU are not able to change it, SO LEAVE ME ALONE, your opinion ist not important to me. YOU are not GOD because you are a nurse.
    Besides the medical Profession does not care about the patient, they are about WHEN they get paid from the patient, it the patient has not money and no insurance, they will not help that patient, I do know that.
    I decided not to remove this post along with your others because it bears answering.

Yes there are health care professionals who are in the profession specifically for the money. But the vast majority of them are caring caregivers who actually work very hard for not so much money.

It appears you may have had some bad experiences with health care professionals. That may be prejudicing your opinion. But my opinion is that you are way off base with your denouncement of the medical profession.

Finally, you cannot dictate who responds to your posts. When you post anything on a site like this, you open yourself to comments based on what you post. If you are going to post biased, off the wall opinions then be prepared to have them commented on.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2009, 02:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Thank you!!! I am very realistic, and I think that one of the most honorable, unselfish and admirable acts a human can do is give their body to science.

I was only attempting to point out why the family may feel as they do when another family member wants to do this. Apparently my post was misread by another poster.

Not all families feel this way, some do think it admirable and support their family members' decision. Yet, there are others who may not want to, or are afraid they can't, deal with the emotional baggage that comes along with the passing of the loved one only to be greatly reminded when they have to deal with it all over again when the ashes are handed back a year or more later. For some it only prolongs the closure.
    I really want to honor my son and I feel bad that he doesn't get it.I will probably not sign on that dotted line because of that.I so appreciate your input ,not just with this issue but for all the good advice you give.Good job !
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 7, 2009, 05:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    I really want to honor my son and I feel bad that he doesn't get it.I will probably not sign on that dotted line because of that.I so appreciate your input ,not just with this issue but for all the good advice you give.Good job !
    Artsy, Thank you for the complement, but let me also say that he may warm up to the idea. It's probably (I don't know for sure) a relatively new idea to him. How long have you been talking about this?

Again, I think it admirable, and I would be honored to have you as a mother. Had it not been for people like you, I would not have learned what I have. It is people like you that have helped science progress so much throughout the years.

I truly do hope he understands some day and agrees with you. However, I also see why it would be hard for him. I see both sides of the coin here, as someone who has loved and lost, as well as someone who has learned and gives back.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2009, 05:57 AM

Maybe put in your legal papers ''wishes'' that it is up to your family to decide and you have let your wishes be known. That way you have a voice and are not forcing them to accept it.
    Expert

Aug 7, 2009, 05:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Maybe put in your ''wishes'' that it is up to your family to decide and you have let your wishes be known. That way you have a voice and are not forcing them to accept it.
    This is a VERY good idea, as when the time of death occurs, if you have not signed on the dotted line, the family is asked what their wishes are as to how to handle your remains.

This can be done at your doctor's office as part of your medical file.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2009, 07:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Artsy, Thank you for the complement, but let me also say that he may warm up to the idea. It's probably (I don't know for sure) a relatively new idea to him. How long have you been talking about this?

Again, I think it admirable, and I would be honored to have you as a mother. Had it not been for people like you, I would not have learned what I have. It is people like you that have helped science progress so much throughout the years.

I truly do hope he understands some day and agrees with you. However, I also see why it would be hard for him. I see both sides of the coin here, as someone who has loved and lost, as well as someone who has learned and gives back.
    The cool thing is the conversation is still happening and I think we are making progress.
    He's a cool kid and he loves his Mama :)
    We are working on it ,he has read some post's! The one that favored him more than most (surprise ) :rolleyes: was you!
    The dialog is opened up again and that's cool! My son really liked your input ! :cool:
    bets05fl Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Aug 15, 2009, 09:18 PM

I think it's a great idea, I too, plan to do that! I want them to be able to use WHATEVER they can. I am not taking this body with me when I go. Its an amazing thing to do. If your son has issues with it, you should try to get him to look at it like "you are giving the ulitimate gift, the gift of life" potentially. I'm not really religious, but if I were, I'd think God, or whoever will judge me would give me the thumbs up for helping others and not being selfish... after all... your body will just rot in the ground... :S
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 15, 2009, 10:25 PM

My mother and my best friend have talked about doing exactly that. I don't think my mother's ever bothered to actually find out where to get the paperwork needed to make it official. My friend has discussed the option with her family, and I'm pretty sure it's even in her will.

I find it admirable. They both want to help medicine, and there is the very real truth that it is more financially affordable.

My mother is coming at it from a more financial standpoint. She knows that when she dies there will be no money left behind to pay for funeral costs, and in fact may be debts left to us, her kids. The cost of a plot, funeral, and other services is more than she wants to leave us with.

My friend is coming at it more from the scientific side. She has had several health issues throughout her life, including cancer and thyroid problems, and more bone breaks than she can count. She feels that being able to study her body will give medical students and professionals a unique view into the human body and what it can overcome.

I can see both sides of it. I can't say it doesn't bother me a bit, but I can understand the desire. It may even be something I consider someday.

What may help your son understand and accept it more is if you let up a little on the no service idea. I'm not saying you have to have a full funeral service. Something like a small memorial service in a church, if you're religious, or someplace else, like a local park you love going to or a rec center that could be rented or even in your living room, would give them the chance to honor your memory and lend the closure that rituals lend.

If you don't already plan on it, then a tombstone could be purchased and placed at a plot where your cremated remains would be interred at a later date, or not, if you want them scattered somewhere in particular.

Being 22 myself, I can see why the idea bothers him. At this age we are still invincible, as are those close to us. While death is very real and something most have already experienced by this point, it is not something we actually think will touch those we love. I have lost 3 grandparents, an uncle, and a brother-in-law in the past 10 years, and death is still not something I see as truly a reality for my loved ones. My head knows that eventually everyone dies, but at the same time it refuses to admit that the people I care about will die someday. It's a tricky point in life, and one I hear passes in a few years.

Something else you can try is contacting medical professionals, students, those who have had family members donate their bodies to science, and those who plan to and ask them about their experiences and opinions. Maybe talking to them and hearing their stories will help your son. It may even give you a different perspective. The Internet is a huge place, there may be groups for that sort of thing out there already.
    sandalwood7 Posts: 129, Reputation: 25

Sep 29, 2009, 03:42 PM

I think it is a really good idea. I went to med school and dissected cadavers for 2 years. We always appreciated and respected the person that we dissected (we each had a body for 1 year at a time). We thought that it was great that people were open minded enough to be able to do that. We need more people who do that and are generous enough.

I also believe that the body is a shell. Never once did I feel that I was violating a soul, or that there was a distressed spirit behind my shoulder! I suppose that I am not a spiritual person, but never once did I feel that the people who had once been alive in these bodies, were in the room. Just as when people die, there is the overwhelming sense that something has gone, something has left the body and that they no longer are in the room. This has happened every time I have watched someone die. The bodies were the remnants of a lives that had been lived. But saying that, I know it is weird, but we felt a kind of connection to our bodies (like we wondered who they were, what they had done in their life, why they had died etc). But that is just because we are humans right? I think that that is a reassuring thing that med students have feelings/are human?

That movie pathology was and definietly not accurate! In the morgue there was always a great amount of reverence and respect for the dead. We learnt a lot of things from our bodies, that we could not learn from a textbook alone.

I commend anyone who donates organs to others or their bodies for science. We need more people like this. I am stated as an organ donor. I don't however want to donate my body for science for the main reason that I know too many people in the profession/med school, so it would be way too uncomfortable.

I think that I would be a bit wary about plastination of certain organs though (preserving organs as plastic forever) in respect for family members. I would not want my face plastinated basically because that is too personal and recognisable and permanent, but I would not mind my arm or leg or other organ plastinated. It is all about finding out as much information as you can before you make the final decision.

Good luck with your decision
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Sep 29, 2009, 09:38 PM

I think it is an okay idea, but my sister who is a doctor said that when she was in med school the people in her class used to play around a lot with the bodies such as moving the mouth around to make them look like they were talking...
    I'm sure that not all people would do that though if your body were to go to a school.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2009, 08:57 PM
    The way I see it, once you die, your body is merely the shell that you used whilst you were in this world.

You can have no control over what people may or may not do with it once it is donated to science. People may respect it, people may move it into strange postures for fun; it won't matter to you because you won't be there. What will be there is your desire to help science, which is really what it is all about!

I CAN actually understand your youngest son's 'eeeeww' factor, but I imagine he will adjust in time.

Hopefully your demise is not imminent and you have many good years to live!
    Expert

Oct 26, 2009, 07:44 AM
    I finally saw the movie that your son was relating to. While it's my kind of flick... it was a disgusting portrayal of the medical community.

If any of us acted they way they did in the movie we would have been put out of school PRONTO with no chances to return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it safe to shower after a full body massage? [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend is so hard headed. He never listens to me if I told him not to shower after a massage. I usually give him a full body massage and he showers after . He told me that in the hotel where he had professional massage he was allowed to shower. When I ask a massage therapist from a salon,...

Full body stain on new shingle siding - best way? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to put a full body stain over some new cedar shingles. What is the best way to do this?

Full body detox [ 1 Answers ]

I am in desperate need for a full body detox please can someone help me I have started juicing green vegies which help, but I need something more, I have heard of warm water with lemon for a week, please please please can someone with some knowledge of the body help me because I feel like crap....

Need a blazer body for 87-90 full size [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking for a older blazer body full size blazer it has a 350 motor for a 88-90 mine fell apart

View more questions Search